Swiss K31

Fox84

I finally pulled out my K31 and decied to sporterize it somewhat. I clamped on a St Marie scope mount and a cheap scope and went to the range. I was somewhat skeptical with the side mount scope. I put up six targets on a large piece of cardboard at 50yds. I was hoping to hit the cardboard somewhere. I was very surprised when my 3 shot group was 2 inches low and 1 inch right of point of aim. I could cover them up with nickle.
I guess all the hype of these rifles being tack drivers is true. I fired 40rds and the scope was still tight and holding zero. Next trip we'll try some reloads at 100yds and see if we can shoot moa

amd6547

Back when k31's were cheap, my job had me a couple blocks from AIM Surplus.
I went by and picked up a nice beech k31 for $139. All matching, perfect blue, and a few hobnail gouges on the Buttstock...and a troop tag.

With a 4-12x cheap scope and the StMarie mount, I was getting 1" groups at 100yds. Even with irons, groups are small.

Shame that GP11 seems to be gone. I'll be trying PRVI, I guess.

FairWarning

The first time I shot my K31, I peppered the center mass of a paper plate with iron sights at 100 yds using Hornady 150 gr SSTs. Took this combo hunting as well, but never got a shot while carrying the K31 unfortunately.

I'm also bummed that GP11 seems to be MIA now. I have a good stash, but had planned to double it last year. Didn't happen....

Ernest T

Congrats on a nice Swiss rifle! I've got an old Weaver K6 scope on my K31 with the clamp on mount. At 200 yards it is the most accurate gun I have other than a custom built AR that cost 5X as much as the K31.

If I'd known that the GP11 ammo was going to disappear so fast, I'd have bought a lot more a few years ago when everyone had cases of it at around .50 cents a round. I've heard that the Swiss are going to produce it again, but I doubt we will every see it as cheap.

Now you need to get yourself a Swiss 1911 or 96/11. They are almost as accurate as the K31, and with a 30" barrel you will be the "biggest" gun at the range.

Geezerbiker

I'd love to put a peep sight on mine but I don't want to alter it. I think a peep would really round out the rifle. It's too bad they didn't come with them...

Tony

98 220 swift

These are amazing rifles. Even more so several years ago when they was cheap. I have had 7 over the years the best shooting one was the cheapest($59) on a good day MOA with the open sights is no big deal with gp11 or my reloads. I have always wanted to scope one but never have.

Fox84

I have a bunch of GP11 but bought 200rds of PPU to reload. I'am thinking of changing stocks to a Boyds or Bluegrass.

Vividia

Love my K31. You might also look at a 1911 or 96/11. I have the 96/11 as well, and shoot it better than the K31. Longer barrel, of course. But both are really sweet.

tobnpr

We own several, don't shoot them much though. One is scoped, with the St. Marie D&T mount. Their clamp-on gets great reviews for being solid as you found out.

Have the brass, dies and shellplate to reload for it and made up some load development rounds once but didn't follow through- the GP-11 shot so good that it didn't make sense. Couldn't reload match ammo for less- but now that it's not around looks like I'll be loading up some MatchKings for the next range trip with them.

Fox84

I'am looking to buy another. One to "Bubba" with and one to leave alone.

The one I have now is a 1951 model. Except for the butt of the stock, it's very nice. I see Boyd's has stocks reasonably price. I would like a permanent recoil pad as well. I think the clamp on muzzle break would be nice

I see Classic has some for around $300

I'ts been snowing and I'am house bound. I need to get away from the computer fast!

Ernest T

What kind of cheek weld and hold is required with the offset scope? Or do you just tilt the rifle some to line things up?

The offset is not that much, so its not too hard to adapt to the scope with the clamp on mount. Up and over a little more than you are used to, but I've never had an issue with it.

k31_238-XL.jpg

Clark

I bought one in 2002 and another in 2004
I have $182 invested in the two rifles.

Then there is the 284 brass and the Lee dies.

They shoot better than i can with open sights, but that is not saying much.
One trip to the range is all they got. Putting a scope on them is not that easy.

Nice bores and weird names under the butt plate.

Huffmanite

One of my fellow range members, who owns quite a collection of firearms, is a very experienced reloader and quite a hunter. He developed an interest in military surplus rifles a few years ago. I sold him a few of mine and one was a nice condition K31. My remaining 7.5 Swiss ammo, reloading dies and brass went with the rifle, so he was immediately ready to shoot the rifle.

He was fascinated by its design, quality of its metal work, and impressed with how well it shot. One day after shooting it, he commented, "I gotta scope this rifle and see just how accurate it is." A brief discussion ensued on how to scope the rifle without hurting its military surplus value.

Week later he had a scope on the rifle, zeroed it and then began shooting some pretty nice groups with the rifle......he was impressed with it.

I'm shooting at a nearby bench and comment, "yea it's kinda sad, you have an old military rifle that probably out shoots (for accuracy) more than half the rifles you own......guy has a walk in vault in his home about 8' x12' for his many firearms. He kinda frowns at my comment, but thinks about it for a few seconds and then agrees with me. LOL