Swiss Army SIG Sturmgewehr 57

tuckerdog1

There is a "chance" I could work out a trade for this rifle.
But I never thought I'd be in a position to posess a select fire weapon. So I'm ignorant of most of the legal details.

This is located in Europe. Is it even legal for me to import it here? If so, what hoops will I have to jump through.

Any idea of value? Low to high, as I don't even know the condition. This was presented just last night as a possible
item to trade. I haven't responded, as I wasn't sure it was even a legal possibility. If it is legal, I'll start asking for details/pics.

Thanks for any help,

Tuckerdog1

shaggy

You'll have a very difficult time and spend a smal fortune getting it into the US and even then you won't be able to possess it, as it will be a post-86 imported machinegun. A licensed importer can get such a weapon into the US, but only by demonstrating a need for the weapon such as a purchase order by a LE agency. As a post-86 import, it can only be possessed by a licensed NFA dealer as a sales sample or a government agency. Bottom line, forget it.

Ian2005

Wow... nice rifle too.

stg57sx.jpg

GeorgeF

Would someone really consider firing this thing full auto from the shoulder? Thats why the bipod is there. I havent encountered any battle rifle that is controllable full auto from shoulder (I really should have tried that BM-59 though at last Rally Point), but as a support piece with bipod it should do just fine.

Moot point however. Anyone know of converted semi-only version in the USA? That looks like it could be fun.

MDW Guns

I don't think even the semi auto of this great rifle made it to the US.
There is no chance that you get this as a private person into the US.
The only way to get it into here would be a post dealer sample with a LE letter and that would be non transferable and on this FFL license.

Musketeer

When musterring out of the formal Swiss military Swiss citizens are allowed to keep their rifle as long as they compete in an annual rifle shoot. The full auto function is also DEACTIVATED at the time they muster out. I would think you could get one of these that was not select fire. I handled several of them in a small gun shop in Aarberg Switzerland earlier this year, as well as the newer rifle, the older K-31, several sig pistols and some older original issue 7mm Lugers. All I could buy to bring home thoyugh was a nice collection of Swiss Army knives for friends and family as well as a really nice Eickhorn one hand opening folding blade that is my new daily carry knife.

p99guy

Here in the States, BATF golden rule (amoung many) is "once a machinegun, allways a machinegun" the same thing that keeps CMP from selling M14's with the selector lug cut off(forever making it a semi only) or possesing a M2
carbine receiver, though its no different than a M1 carbine receiver..the "2"
stampted on it makes it=(see golden rule above) so a 57 with a slight neuter job is in the same boat with an M14. and would be non importable by an individual.

Musketeer

Thanks P99guy. What will it take to get rid of that friggen department? Few parts of the government posses its level of both corruption and incompetence yet they remain bulletproof.

publius

Sorry to disagree Muskateer, but most levels of government possess their degree of incompetence and corruption.

p99guy

lol ATF is like a puppet act...the rest of the Govt has its hand up the puppets backside making its mouth move...but when something blows up in thier face...heeeey the puppet did it, not us!! BAAAAAAAAD Puppet, Baaaaad! Sort of like blaming the hammer , and not the carpender weiding it.
it allows the Politicians a layer of plausible denial, and shielding.