Swinging metal targets.....

tjhands

Anyone have experience with these? I'd like to get one that can consistently withstand hits with JHP bullets in handgun calibers up to .44 Magnum. Are ones this tough even available? Where? How much? Thank you! :)

shaggy

Try www.gttargets.com

Their website says they can withstand most pistol calibers but you might want to shoot them an email for a more specific answer.

(edited to add...)

Most of their stuff is moving target stands for cardboard-backed targets, but they do make some steel targets. Its probably worth an email to see if they could make exactly what you want.

azredhawk44

My friends and I built one that holds 4 different plates. We have two legs that support a horizontal bar. On the bar, hanging from some pieces of pipe that slide over the bar (to give the ability to swing), we have 4 pieces of rebar. At the bottom end of the rebar we have 1/2 inch steel plate discs about 4" in diameter.

When shot with a .22, you better be a ways back because it barely moves the disc at all and the ricochet can go anywhere. This is a toy for out in the remote desert.

When a 9mm hits it, the bullet is pushed into the dirt below. The target will swing about a foot back.

.45acp is about the same as 9mm, but the bullet ends up in the dirt behind the target.

.44magnum will spin the target completely around the supporting bar, but not even leave a dent in the steel. We must have put almost 1000 rounds into this thing so far. The rebar will break occassionally, but that's it.

One guy shot it with his 8mm mauser rifle. That cut right thru the plate and we had to replace it.

Kframe

I have, well, had, one of those Birchwood-Casey two plate spinners for handgun.

It was rated for up to .44 mag, and had about a 4" plate on top and about a 6" plate hung lower.
The plates were about 7/16" steel, and the rod for the frame was about 3/8" or so.

Anyway, I'd had it for many years, and punished it with countless thousands of .38's, .357's, 9's and some .44's.

The only damage it showed after all that was a bent leg from me trying to stake it into semi-frozen rocky earth. I stepped on the cross bar and one leg bent out.

Well, for some reason I shot it with my AR last fall.
I expected a little cratering, but I did not expect nearly-full penetration.
Like I said, the plate was 7/16", and the crater in it was also 7/16" deep, but had not poked through.
The back was dimpled out by about 3/32".
The diameter of the crater was about 3/8".

I was pretty impressed, although a little irritated I wrecked the spinner.

So, I shot it again, this time I hit the frame and blew the rods apart at a weld, so the thing wouldn't stand up anymore.

The ammo was just some 55gr. ball, out of my Bushy Patrolman's Carbine at 50 yards.

I'll try to find it in the scrap pile and get some pix if I have a little time.

-K

Edward429451

We made ours after buying some steel 22 targets and just up the thickness with a little creative engineering.

Some we welded rebar together with a big fat washer around the rebar and another chunk of rebar welded to it and the back of a steel disc. Tack welded it on both sides of the washer so it wouldn't 'walk' and voila.

My buddy has tig welder and it took us about 2 hours to make about a half dozen of them. Some 1/4", some 3/8, some 1/2, and some 3/4" plate. We used a few of the commercial 22 targets as templates on thicker steel. Traced em & cut em and welded them together.

We generally only shoot lead at them though. Not jacketed.

okiejack

Good Information

That's why I enjoy this site so much.

Thanks for the information folks. My imagination is working over time now on designing and building one of these swinging targets.

VUPDblue

I was going to build too, but I found that because of the type of steel req'd it was cheaper to actually buy the targets. Just my .02

kirkcdl

Well,they're not metal,but I've hit mine with a few thousand rounds and they look pretty much like the lower picture here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=92018

I found it necessary to take the cardboard tube off a clothes hanger and cut pieces of it to make spacers to keep the targets separated,but this is the best $30 I ever spent on targets...Just adding to your options...:D

okiejack

Very Interesting!

"___but this is the best $30 I ever spent on targets...Just adding to your options...__"

Yeah that sorta gets it down into my income bracket.

azredhawk44

Somehow I still think hollowpoints and wadcutters would be this kiss o' death for that "self sealing" spinner target set.

Just my $0.02. With that and $5 more, you can get a cup of coffee.