Swedish Mauser Question

OlCrip

I was at an Antique Gun Show yesterday and saw a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm. My curiosity was piqued when I noticed that the rifle bolt didn't look like those found on the Swedes. The shroud and the part that protrudes from the shroud when cocked appeared to be from a M98 Mauser. Guess that would be the cocking piece? It definitely had a new bolt shroud with an old style Buehler safety installed.

Guess my question is can a Swedish Mauser be converted to such a beastie? Or was what I was looking at really a small mauser action? It was all very delicate looking. Very svelt. Short barrel, mannlicher-style sporter stock.

Scorch

Somebody milled the rear "ear" off the cocking piece. You can too.

Edited to add:
There is a "cock on opening" kit available that comes complete with bolt shroud and a different cocking piece. Maybe it was one of those. It could also be a 98a, small ring M98. Hard to say without seeing it.

Last edited:

OlCrip

Thanks Scorch. I truly appreciate the info. It will surely help. I may go with the different cocking piece. It all just looked so "delicate" and clean. I thought it was about perfect.