SWC reloading problem

Sport

I recently readjusted my Dillion
550B to reload 200 gr lead swc in
.45acp.

Have checked the seating depth,case
belling, powder charge, changed out the
bullet seater plug to the swc configuration.
Everything appears to be correctly set up.

Problem is, on about every fifth round, the
seater die either raises a "ledge" on the
bullet or crushes the case. This happens
only when I have cases in every station
and am running the system as it's designed.
If I run a single case through at a time
the problem doesn't occur.

Hope this description of the problem makes
sense. Any idea what I might do to correct
the problem?

karlfitt

Sounds like you are not belling the case mouth enough. The case edge is catching on the bullet as it seats.
Try dropping the powder meeasure a little to increase the bell and see if this helps.

Karl

P.S. 200 grain SWC is what I load most for my .45 ACP

Quantrill

Every Fifth Case

I agree with Karlfitt that the belling operation be increased just a tad. When all the stations are full, the ram does not seem to bottom quite as hard. Quantrill

Bud Helms

If that doesn't work, make sure you have the correct seating plug for your bullet shape. It may not be "erecting". That will allow it to enter the case of the mouth cocked and depend on the case mouth to straighten it up. Are you getting case bulges off to one side?

Sport

I did some more tweaking based upon
your responses. Opened up the belling
a bit. That seems to have corrected it.
I am not pleased with the brand bullets
i'm loading, they force me wipe wax
residue from each round. Not nearly as
easy to deal with as the 230gr fmj bullets
I normally use.
Have to say, though, these 200g swc shoot
accurately.

Thanks for the help.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Shaved bullets

Sport--
I know his reply is a little late, but- - - -

Are you seating and crimping in the same die, at the same time? I used to do this. Once I found out to do it in two separate operations, life became MUCH easier.

What I had to do was to bell slightly more. Then seated bullet with no crimp at all--just straightened up he case walls. On next operation, put proper taper crimp in place. Or, in loading revolver ctgs, rolled the crimp into place. PRESTO! No shaved lead, nice-looking rounds, and my temper improved instantly.

Sorry if this seems elementary, but, hey--I had to learn it after I'd been loading for a while.

All the best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

Paul B.

Sport. Are the bullets you are using bevel based. Seems like most of the commercial cast bullets I've used have been BB'd and there is lots of excess lube to clean off.
I usually cast my own 200 gr. 45's, and the mold is a BB. Lube just seems to gravitate to that base. Guess we'll just have to learn to live with it.
Paul B.