swc bullets

4runnerman

i have a 45 5 inch barrel.Wonder and looking for best brand name and part # of swc bullets to try.All ideas are great.

zippy13

What weight are you interested in, cast or swagged, raw or plated? What do you intend to do with them? There are several SWC moulds available to the commercial casters.

Shipping charges can be significant when buying bullets. From other shooters in your area, learn who's the closest bullet maker that folks recommend. Then, talk with that caster to discuss your requirements.

When buying commercially cast or swagged SWCs, you'll be better off if you order by actual size, not just the generic caliber. To get your barrel's actual size you can slug it.

Edward429451

The SWC bullets for 45 are usually of the 200 gr variety and persnickety to load with. Try the 225/230 gr LRN bullets they shoot great out of my 5" 45 and are easy as pie to load with.

AlaskaMike

For .45 ACP I like most any of the available 200 grain SWCs. Lasercast is popular and works well.

Find someone who ships USPS Flat Rate when buying bullets.

Mike

Ken - Oh

The SWC bullets for 45 are usually of the 200 gr variety and persnickety to load with.

That is a very popular and successful bullet. I don't understand your problems with it. I've loaded probably 10,000 rounds like that.

To the OP, Missouri Bullet has a good reputation and ships 2-3000 bullets for a minimum shipping charge.

http://www.missouribullet.com

Ken

Mike1

You didn't say what gun you have, but most (but not all) recent 45 autos will shoot SWCs just fine. Pistols listed as "milspec" may or may not feed these bullets. I think most folks find a 200gr like the Hensley & Gibbs #68 to be a great choice. Some guns are picky with seating depth, and you may find that just a tiny amount of shoulder above the case will allow perfect feeding.

Last edited:

amamnn

.45 acp in S&W 1911 and Colt model 70 national Match

I've been shooting Berry's 185 gr. SWC lately and have had nothing but good results. This is a plated bullet and must be loaded like lead. Previously, I had been shooting 200 gr. Hornadys and as noted above, had no troubles with them either. Just to avoid confusion I should say that Hornady calls that bullet a C/T (competition/target) bullet. I do prefer the lighter bullet for recreational target shooting using a 13 # spring..

I've also had some very good groups using Berry's lead SWCs and Hornady gaschecks, but I don't like to shoot them indoors as there is a lot of smoke from the lube. Still, spring is coming, and I still have 750 or so on hand..................

Last edited: