Swans

Buzzcook

Driving up to the relatives in Skagit County for Christmas there were hundreds of Trumpeter Swan just off the highway. Beautiful sight.
I've lived in Washington since 75 and I've driven up to Mt. Vernon or Burlington almost every December for the last 20+ years and I've never seen so many.

The inlaws are a bit more nonchalant about the whole thing. According to them I just haven't been looking in the right place.

No hunting for Swan in Washington. Not sure I'd want to.

Scorch

Beautiful birds. When I lived in Nevada, a friend of mine hunted swans regularly, and they taste about like you would expect of something that eats muddy critters. I prefer Canada goose for eating.

Aqeous

This may be off topic but allot of people are seeing allot more types of wildlife popping up in greater numbers and in areas they usually don't frequent. They contribute this to warming temperatures abroad. I remember when I was a kid we actually had freezes in Florida come wintertime, we scarcely have a cold front that drops below 60 degrees anymore . . . its actually a bit disconcerting. Down here there have been way more song birds than normal, last year my backyard was quite literally filled to the brim with hundreds of sparrows. They just sat there on the ground chirping four about two hours and then decided to fly off. I had never seen anything like it before.

Buzzcook

Scorch we can take 4 Canadian honkers a year. They're turning into pests in the I-5 corridor.
I only hunt birds every other year or sometimes two.
Luckily for me I have friends with freezers full of birds that don't go deer hunting every year like I do.
I'm not an expert on swans but I think you'd find them better tasting if they've been feeding in farm land as they do here.