SW642 vs. LCR

sliponby

I'm going to purchase a 5 shot 38sp soon and have narrowed my choices to these two.

Please give you opinion as to which you prefer and why. Thanks for your input!:)

Shadi Khalil

I personally would go with the 642 but I'm partial to S&W's. The LCR has alot going for it, the trigger is nice, the cylinder is flat and the grips are very comfortable but bulky. On the other hand, the 642 is deadly accurate, has some of the best stock grips on a j frame. Another factor to take into consideration is the amount of holsters available for the LCR. I'm sure there are plenty but there are tons for the 642. Lastly, the 642 is just all around a better looking gun.

LockedBreech

I really, really enjoy my brother's LCR. For some reason I'm a dead-eye with the thing. Light as a feather and well-built. Like most Rugers, you'll die before it does.

ccSnoopycc

LCR: Smoother trigger, larger, lighter, and the feel makes it seem as though you are holding the gun kinda low on the backstrap. Its also composite.

Smith: Ok trigger, smaller, slightly heavier, and the feel makes it seem as though you are holding the gun kinda high on the backstrap. Its also metal.

I chose the smith but both are fantastic guns.

Kreyzhorse

Both are fine guns. Go handle both and see what fits you best.

Like Wild said above, if it were my gun, metal over plastic.

Sniper 51

SW642 vs LCR

I've owned them both. Carried a 642 for a few years and have always liked Smiths. Picked up an LCR, dry fired it and bought it. Have carried it for a while and shot it a lot. The grip fits my hand better and the trigger is 110% better right out of the box. Sold the 642 and have no regrets. I doubt that I will ever buy another Smith until they get rid of the locks. Hate the looks. Now when I buy a Smith, it's usually a K or N frame and nothing new.

AdamSean

You should have asked opinions on who has owned and shot both...lol. I have. I loved my old Smith, but the Ruger has the options of changing the front sight and the trigger is much better. Oh, and I saw on a TV program where 2 guys fired the LCR at ranges from 25-75 yards landing good hits on a sillouette target. Both are great guns, I just prefer the LCR for the trigger mainly and the option of putting a night sight on it.

9mm

S&W I have shot the black model, 442? was more accurate than I was, and did good on the paper target.

As far as the LCR goes, I have heard problems with those when they came out, build up or something above the chamber? what is it called? flame cutting? anyway I know someone with one in .357 he hasn't had a problem.

dwwhite

I traded into an LCR a year or two ago and couldn't stand the trigger, it just didn't feel right to me. I stuck with my old 36 for a while, and just recently purchased a 442, which is fast becoming my daily carry gun. The LCR was never fired and went right back to the next gun show.

The Ruger also seemed bulkier to me. I know it's not, if anything, it may be a hair smaller, but I just couldn't warm up to it.

I would second everybody who has said that you should try your hardest to shoot, or at least extensively handle both. Both designs seem to be well proven and both have their adherents and detractors. Seems to come down to personal preference. In my case, it was Love the Smith and Hate the Ruger, but as you can see from the replies, there are plenty of folks who feel the opposite. Personal preferences, I guess.

joelmc

S&W 642

In your consideration it is helpful to know that the S&W 642 Pro has two improvements: it is cut for moon clips and has no lock. That eliminates the long-standing debate about the lock issues.

The moon clip setup is great. You can use the 3 moon clips provided, or simply load by hand or use any speedloader designed for the J-frame. In other words, it works like a conventional revolver without having to use a moonclip, but it also gives the added benefit, if you choose, to utilize the moonclip setup for the sake of the speed of reloading.

Also, put Crimson Trace LG-405 grips on there and it is an incredible set-up. Right now until June 30, 2011 you get a $50.00 rebate on the grips. I got them for half price with the rebate plus internet sales discount from an on-line retailer. Can't beat the price.

Check out these links for consideration:

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/pocket_guns-Comparing the G26 and S&W Airweight J.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/House Guns.htm

Thought you might like to know.:cool:

Last edited:

shortwave

I don't own an LCR but have shot quit a few. While I'll agree the LCR has a better 'out of the box' trigger, I'll also say that the triggers on both the 642/442 smooths out extensively with some use.

Both my 642/442 have very smooth triggers after much dry firing and shooting. These are my two most cc'ed guns so I spend the most shooting/dry firing time with them.

katana8869

I traded into an LCR a year or two ago and couldn't stand the trigger, it just didn't feel right to me. I stuck with my old 36 for a while, and just recently purchased a 442, which is fast becoming my daily carry gun. The LCR was never fired and went right back to the next gun show.

Dwwhite... I am sure that I am missing something here, but as I read this you are saying that you traded the LCR because you felt that something was not right with the trigger... yet you never fired it? You go on to say...

I would second everybody who has said that you should try your hardest to shoot, or at least extensively handle both. Both designs seem to be well proven and both have their adherents and detractors. Seems to come down to personal preference. In my case, it was Love the Smith and Hate the Ruger,

... yet you traded an unfired LCR and profess that you choose the Smith without shooting the LCR at all. I guess that I am not following the reasoning that you are using here. I'm wondering if you would mind clarifying this a little bit? Just curious...

skoro

I hear a lot of good things about the LCR but have never fired or handled one.

I've carried a 642 for several years and always feel very confident in that weapon.

WANT A LCR 22LR

The original LCR 38+P has a aluminum frame and poly grip peg/fire control while the LCR 357 is steel and poly grip peg/fire control. When thinking "plastic" revolvers, don't think of them in semi auto terms where most of the gun can be plastic.

In any event, the LCR works just fine for me and I've heard of no failures in the " Plastic" section of the gun. There were reports of flame cutting in a small number of 38+P guns, but that seemed to be a very small batch of non hardened frames and the u tube shooters may have been using way too hot loads.

There have been reports of the 38+P pressed in firing pin bushing coming loose at the 5000 round mark. I've burned down 2 so far and have since gone to a 357 steel frame that does not use a firing pin bushing for most of the practice rounds and may move to the 357 for carry over the 38+P just for consistancy between practice and carry. ( The gun store guy just about fellover when I told him I ran 4500 rounds in 8 months through a each of my 2 LCRs. " Some people don't shoot that much in a lifetime" Given I started shooting in Jan 2010, I needed to get up to speed rapidly. )

dwwhite

Katana,

It's a case of do as I say, not as I do. There was nothing wrong with the LCR trigger, per se, I just didn't like the feel of it while dry firing. When I traded for it, it was unfired, and I felt that keeping it that way would keep more of its potential value. I had already decided I didn't care for it, so I didn't pursue the issue.

Remember, I'm giving out advice on the Internet, which makes me neither consistent or expert. :D

a TV program where 2 guys fired the LCR at ranges from 25-75 yards

Ridiculous. Not going to happen. The J frame and LCR are short range backup guns, not hand canons. You got problems that far out, gun up.

The LCR is said to be too big for pocket carry. For some people anyway. It is larger than the J frame.

Light triggers are for primary guns.

The J frame trigger is stiff for a purpose. Practice enough, you will get better and eventually see The Light.

shootniron

If you like the 642 except for the trigger, a quick and easy spring change will make a considerable difference in it.