Sw380

Nagano21

So I was looking at my local shops list of used handguns, when I saw the SW380 up there. I have never heard of SW having this firearm. I own a 2w40VE, so I assume the sw380 must be similar, to my knowledge, does the VE mean it is newer?

I found the gun online at some sites, but couldn't find out a whole lot.

Let me know your thoughts on this handgun.

SouthpawShootr

The SW380 was called a Sigma, but it really was a different design. Frankly, you'll be better with something else. The slides were not even made of steel. Some kind of zinc alloy. These guns took the "shoot little, carry alot" maxim to an extreme. As I recall, the service life projected by S&W was somewhere aroun 2,000-3,000 rounds. Disassembly, fieldstripping is done with a hammer and punch (the top end is held in by a pin that must be driven out). They are not though of kindly by S&W owners. The magazine does not have a push button release. Rather you have to pinch a S&W logo on either side of the mage to get it to release. All in all, most unimpressive.

The VE is S&Wese for stainless slide (V) enhanced (E). And yes, the current model is the VE. The SW380 is long gone.

Nagano21

Thanks for the info, I could not find much info on it, as well as have not ever heard about this handgun before. No wonder why it was on sale for less than 200. I had been looking into some 380's for the GF because I am pushing her to get her permit, but this gun would now def not be one I would get her.

Thanks

Mosin44az

Southpaw has it right, from what I remember reading. Specifically designed to have a limited service life in order to be sold cheaper. Not designed for enthusiasts but for the type of owner who will just throw it in a drawer.

They also didn't perform reliably for Gun Tests, and the one I rented was rather unpleasant to shoot, even for a .380.

Nagano21

Seems like even though it is sold cheap, prob not worth picking up due to the simple fact that you do not know how many rounds really went through it, and being a handgun that would obviously be used more for protection than target, just not worth the risk.

Crow61

I owned one for a very short time. I took it back to the dealer and got a S&W .38 snubby.

The Sigma .380 was nothing close to what the Enhanced Sigma's are.

Crow61

Logs

The other problem they had was the mag would sometime fall out when firing. Not good.

I shot one once and it did function, but it was hard to hold on to. I saw one in a shop about 6 months ago for $250. I don't feel they are worth it.

Fer

My first semi auto was SW380 BIG MISTAKE!! I was a student on a budget so I thought less than $300 for a S&W semiauto was a DEAL! but I was wrong. Never ever shot reliably, at first I thought it was me, but finally found out that most first generation Sigmas where bad, maybe the newer version is better but the SW380 never, get your self a j frame. Take down is a pain in the butt, the mag release is a joke and after a couple of weeks the black paint on the slide began to come off and when it starts to wear of the gun looks horrible!! I was told that since it was made from some alloy it could no be reblued. Just go fot the snub, if you want a semiauto go for a Bersa or something with a WELL known record.

SouthpawShootr

Never ever shot reliably, at first I thought it was me, but finally found out that most first generation Sigmas where bad, maybe the newer version is better but the SW380 never, get your self a j frame.

Well, actually, the first generation Sigmas were a completely different design from the SW380 (and the SW9C, which had a similar design as the 380). This complicates the matter b/c just about everybody had problems with the SW380 and SW9C while the SW9F and SW9V (the first generation Sigmas) had a much better, though somewhat lacking, track record. The so-called "E" series guns have been much better. The Sigma is finally making headway against the bad reputation. All were called Sigma and lots of people post about their problems with the Sigma without specifying which model they are talking about. I have a 357V and 9VE and have been satisfied with their value and performance.

It was my best friend that has the SW380. He doesn't like it, largely b/c of the accuracy and reliability issue.

drifts1

Still have my SW380.

I've had my SW380 for 10 years now and have to say I am more than satisfied with it. I have never had a malfuntion of any kind, magazine has never fallen out, and the finish still looks new. Naturally it is well cared for, as all my firearms are. It serves its purpose as it was intended to perfectly. I bought it new for $220, if it stopped working tommorow I would definitely say I got my moneys worth. There is not much talk of the lil pistol anymore but when there was, the majority of actual owners had positive reviews. That being said i wouldnt buy a used one 6 years after they stopped making them, especially knowing their service life is limited.

waudcutter

Basically a disposable pistol with a cheap paint job finish; for a carry a lot, shoot a little gun they're probably all right. I wouldn't buy a used one.

John