SW1911 vs Dan Wesson Pointman 7 or CBOB?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Which would you pick? I'd have to pay at least $200 (maybe $300) more for the DW. This will be a major purchase for me as I'm not a rich man. Thanks for your opinions.

Of those three, the Classic bobtail. I just bought one and I cannot seem to put it down. It is amazing. I cannot wait to get to the range with it this weekend and really try it out.

I guess it would all come down to what you are wanting it for though. Are you wanting just a basic CCW or are you wanting a precision range tool?

longeyes

I'm considering buying a CBOB--it's compellingly elegant--but I already own an S&W 1911PD, which is an excellent pistol. Of course the PD has the lightweight Scandium frame and is designed for carry. It depends on how you plan to use it.

hecate

I'd vote for the CBOB. I seriously considered getting one before I had my Wilson built, but I don't like shiny stainless steel for carry.

The best price I've ever seen for a new one was from Larry Correia at Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns when he runs a CZ group buy.

Pat-inCO

Two things. In general, you get what you pay for. The DWs being more expensive will most likely be a bit better. Having a CBOB, I'll say they are excellent.

Second item: S&W has a history of inconsistency in their quality. I have two S&Ws that are excellent. I also sold two other S&Ws that were far less. My CBOB is all anyone could even think about in excellent quality.

Jayhawkhuntclub

I guess it would all come down to what you are wanting it for though. Are you wanting just a basic CCW or are you wanting a precision range tool?

A little of both really. But I doubt I'll ever carry it much on my person (maybe in my vehicle though). I'd love to shoot some nice groups at the range. I'm not sure how I'd make out with a 4.25" barrel though.

XD45Compact

If purchasing this 1911 for carry, the CBOB, no doubt. The bobbed frame will assist in concealment as will the commander-sized barrel.

If using it for target and/or competition...with no doubt the PM7. Much higher quality parts within the DW with the only MIM part, I believe....being the hammer. You can argue MIM vs. Non-MIM till the cows come home...but if given the choice, I'd take non any day...and that's coming from someone with a Kimber that I LOVE which has its share of MIM parts (and no, none of the MIM parts have malfunctioned in any way).

I just think that the DW is a higher quality pistol.

longeyes

Now that you've explained your intentions more fully, I'd say the CBOB. Same high-quality parts. Concealable, if you want it to be (includes night sights). Long enough barrel for reasonable range practice. All steel for durability. And, arguably the most beautiful pistol for the money. What's not to like?

freecdp45

My vote goes to the CBOB also. I just purchased one in 10mm a few weeks ago and must say I am truly amazed at the attention to detail that went into this thing. The fit and finish is flawless.

IdahoG36

I own a S&W 1911, and while it is a good gun that has been 100% reliable, you can buy a DW for $100-$150 more, and the quality is way better than S&W. No MIM parts either with the DW. That would be my choice.

Richard

Pick the 1911 that you like best; when you can afford it, a good gunsmith can make it a Bob-Tail. Yes, my DW CBOB feels that good to me. Regards, Richard:)

djc

Sorry to thread hijack, but as a pure carry piece is the recommendation still the same between the 1911PD Scandium Commander and DW CBOB?

I had the chance to handle a CBOB today and it was ridiculously nice. However I could feel the extra weight on it vs. the scandium-framed S&W. Having never carried before I'm not sure how much stock to put into the extra heft.

I will be purchasing one of these as my primary carry piece in the next month or so. They are about the same price at buds.

Richard

I own two DWs plus 16 other 1911s and I love them. With this in mind, I would really like a S&W 1911 to compare with my other JMBs. Regards, Richard:)

djc

Thanks for the group buy link.

After combing through past threads it's seemingly down to the lighter weight of the S&W vs. the better fit and finish and bobtail of the DW.

After combing through past threads it's seemingly down to the lighter weight of the S&W vs. the better fit and finish and bobtail of the DW.
I have never noticed that the S&W 1911's were lighter. Are you sure you are comparing stainless to stainless or are you comparing an alloy frame Smith to the all stainless steel Dan Wesson?

djc

Oops, didn't specify in my last post.

Definitely comparing the S&W 1911PD Scandium Commander (28oz) to the stainless steel Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail (34oz).

That would make the decision for me right there...no aluminum or scandium frames for me. I prefer all steel. he couple of ounces you save are not worth it to me. I do not even really notice the difference in a good holster and the alloys are practically impossible to fix if damaged. :)