SW1911 or plain jane Colt?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sadly, I've all but eliminated the SA as I can't get my hands on one and hate to order and pay for what I can't inspect first. So....I'm thinking of the SW1911, which seems to have great reviews and a much better warranty and more bells and whistles. Or the Colt basic 1991. Both are within $50 of each other and both are stainless. I like the looks of the Colt better and it seems to be more true to the original design. I was happy with the trigger on both of the ones I handled so that's not an issue. Any thoughts? Thanks!

tom234

The S&W website lists 13 SW1911s loaded with options to choose from at reasonable market prices. If you want a basic 1911 becasue it has the Colt name on it for the Colt brand name price then you should go for it.

Saab1911

I suggest Colt series 70 and not the 1991.

If the choice has to be between series 80 Colt (1991) and S&W 1911, go
for the S&W 1911.

Cheers,

Jae

Jayhawkhuntclub

One concern I have on the Colt is the front site is not dovetailed. I was wondering what I would do if it shoots high or low and I can't just tap out the front site?

shepherddogs

I hate to bash an American icon like Colt but I've never had anything but trouble with them. Series 70 jammomatic, Officers Model the sight dots fell off, Delta Elite you couldn't hit crap with and the dots also fell off the sights. Then there was a Trooper Mark IV I believe, that nobody who shot it could hit within a foot of POA at 25 yards. I did have a Python that shot great but had to sell it to feed the family. On the other hand I never had anything but good luck with S&Ws. Their 1911s appear to be very nicely done and get good reviews.

kamerer

Basically, I agree with Sabb1911 - I would go with either:

1) S&W, or

2) very nice/like new Mk IV/Series '70

I have a few 1911s, and the only two worth taking to the grave are a high-end custom Caspian build, and the Series '70. The S&W's are the best "bang-for buck" out there right now from all I hear (and I listen quite a lot and love the two I've shot). If you want a bells/whistles fun gun, get the S&W. They also have a fantastic warranty and good service. Want a reliable, but classic and collectible, get a Series '70 (or earlier) in high condition grade. Should cost about the same. If you buy the Colt, resist the temptation to go hacking on it and cutting for sights, safeties, etc. It's a collectible and should stay stock. I have one and enjoy it in stock form as much as my high-end guns, though it's not as tight or laser-accurate. But it is darn satisfying to carry and shoot.

joegator

I'm getting ready to buy a new 1911 and have come to the following conclusions after doing my research:

The Colt is over priced and you're paying a premium for the logo. I'm also not happy that the company has abandoned its civilian gun market and lost its miltary contracts in the process. Where does that leave them.

Kimbers were great guns once, but have too many mixed reviews as of late especially for the cost.

Smith seems to be at least partially backing out of the 1911 market many dealers are dumping their 1911s. I could have bought one this week end at the Fort Lauderdale gun show NIB for $625 and passed on it. I'm not crazy about their external extractor either.

My conclusion is go with SA. IMO they represent the best combination of price and quality. Order one and if upon inspection it doesn't pass muster pass on it. Most reputatable dealers will allow you to refuse acceptance if you find the gun is not satifactory. If your dealer doesn't then find another dealer. I'll probably order the Loaded althought the Mil Spec is a great value also.

Everything I stated is just my opinion, others may not agree.

zenner22

I have both Colts and Smths. Like them both. Either one would be an excellent choice. Based on your two choices, if you want tradition and history go with the Colt. For a more modern look go with the Smith, an excellent underrated 1911.

Kreyzhorse

When I was 1911 shopping, Colt, S&W and Kimber were on my list. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices. For bells and whistles go with S&W. You want history, go with Colt.

Me? Springfield wasn't on my list at all but I walked out with a TRP. Very impressive gun.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
For value in every dollar spent, go with the basic, stainless S&W 1911
[product code 108282]. You simply can't beat it, and will never regret
making this purchase~! :cool: ;)

FWIW, the external extractor IS NOT a problem; as S&W got it right
the first time.

tom234

the first time.
If an external extractor is supposedly a problem I often ask myself why do most late model semi-auto hanguns have external extractors.........:)

PeterGunn

For value in every dollar spent, go with the basic, stainless S&W 1911
[product code 108282]. You simply can't beat it, and will never regret
making this purchase~!

the first time.

This is a spot on comment!

SA makes an excellent 1911 no doubt, but it is not really USA made (not important to some, but very important to others).

S&W's warranty is superior to others offered manufacturers in the business and their CS is also top notch.

The question of function and reliability puts S&W at the top of the list of semi-custom 1911s. The external extractor is totally reliable and while some may not like them on 1911s, they work.