Sw model 10 and model 14

defjon

What is the going rate for a model 10 pencil barrel in decent shape? Don't know the - number

Also happened upon a model 14 in great shape, again unsure the - number seller is at 550.

UncleEd

If the Model 14 is in decent or really decent shape
I think the $550 is a righteous price. It really is
one of Smith's premier revolvers and one of my
favorites. That and the Model 15 are in my
estimation the best of the best from Smith.

The Model 10 has to be in primo shape, meaning
like factory new, to command more than $300.
Part of the reason is that it was Smith's bread and
butter product with tens of thousands available.

A factor in valuation also involves the stocks and
on older models if they are numbered to the gun's
serial number.

For instance, a fellow locally is offering a 6-inch
standard (pencil) barrel for $450. It looks good
and the stocks have matching numbers.

Last edited:

Carmady

There was an excellent (1 pic) pinned nickel 10-5 with the 4" tapered barrel, box, and maybe some paperwork on Armslist. It was listed for $450 and the seller said he would take $400, which I thought was a good deal, but looking at ended auctions on GunBroker showed Model 10s just weren't selling for much. I figured if I bought it for $400 I'd be very lucky to break even if I decided to sell it, so I passed. I think it was on Armslist for close to six months.

USSR

Model 10's are a dime a dozen, but a pinned barrel Model 14 in Excellent+ condition is easily worth $550. Just MHO.

Don

ThomasT

Model 10's are a dime a dozen...

I love it when people say that but never list any examples to back up their claim.

It used to be you could find a clean model 10 police turn in for $100 on a regular basis. That was back when the cops were dumping wheel guns for the semi-autos that were taking over. Now finding a clean model 10 with original grips and no box will start at $250 and go up from there. I know because I have looked for them.

Most now with no box start at closer to $325 for a clean gun. Sometimes you can find rusted and abused looking guns for less. A good clean example with box and paperwork will start at $400 and may top out around $600 for an almost unfired gun.

shurshot

Model 10's are perfect, one gun solutions for those on a budget. Superb home defense or CCW with plus +P158's, fun, accurate plinker and solid trail / small game gun with 148 wadcutters. The .38 Special is underestimated by the majority of shooters these days. I have owned my Sheriffs Department trade in model 10 HB about 3 decades. Currently $300 to $325 is about right in my area (Maine), for a good used one. Excellent condition would command much more. Money well spent.

10-96

On that 10- if by any chance the seller is calling a Pre-Model 10 a Model 10, that could up the value. Plus, things like diamond grips, original serial numbered box, etc. will add things up.

USSR

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment about the Model 10. For those of you not fully aware of the old time expression: The phrase a dime a dozen refers to something very plentiful, common, and therefore, inexpensive.

Don

ThomasT

Don no problem. I knew what you meant. I was just pulling your chain a little.:D But I wish you were right. I wish they were still a $150 gun you could buy them all day long for that. I should have bought a Bakers Dozen (another old expression) when they were affordable.

I understand why they cost like they do now. If I had one for sale I wouldn't sell it for less than $300 either. They are just too good of a gun to let get away cheap. I had a RHKP I bought for $125 minus the lanyard and I still don't know why I sold such an excellent basic gun. If you are not LEO its just about all the gun the average homeowner needs. Maybe this says it best.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/One Revolver.htm

Just a heads up but if you see a Taurus model 82 for sale at a price you can live with buy it. The several I have owned have been just as good as the S&W model 10 and they are just a little bigger on the frame and do not have the flat on the bottom of the barrel extension like S&W K-Frames that bother so many people.

highpower3006

I would think that any decent condition Model 10 would sell for at least $300+, more if it still has the box and docs. I recently picked up a mint RHKP 10-9 for $400 and I am happy with what I paid.

eastbank

I have a 10-5 RB with a 2 " barrel in mint condition I payed 300.00 for and I think it was money was well spent. with the better sights I shoot it much better than its smaller brothers the model 36-60,s in .38 spl.

Howdy

I picked up this almost new in the box Model 14-3, made in 1974, a couple of years ago. It was marked $550, which I thought was a steal. When I asked if the dealer would take $500, and he said yes, I ran to the cash register so fast it made his head spin. Normally, I would expect to pay significantly more than that.

model14-3box02_zps33983522.jpg

Regarding Model 10s, I don't know where most of you guys are finding them, but around these parts if you find a nice Model 10 for under $500 you are doing well. I once paid $125 for a really nice police trade in Model 10, but that was over 20 years ago.

T. O'Heir

The days of police trade in revolvers are long gone. Mind you, those days never existed up here. Cop revolvers were chopped up here.
"...decent shape..." That's kind of vague. Lotta price variations from place to place. And sometimes in the same shop. Cabela's, for example, wants $499 for a basic 4" M10 with original grips. $399.99 for one with Pachmayr grips. Smith wants $739 for a BNIB M10.
"...examples to back up their claim...." 'Dime a dozen' is a figure of speech. snicker.

tubeshooter

I bought a model 10-5 with a 4 inch barrel in good condition last year for $289 plus tax (I was able to talk the shop down $10). I thought it was a fair deal. No box or papers. This is in North Carolina.

It's my first one and I am not particularly knowledgeable about model 10 pricing over the years, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Scribe

Model 10's may be dime a dozen, but I carried them on and off for 15 years. They are a superb, no frills piece of kit. the issue revolvers were 4 inch bull barrel, square butt, blued steel. if I could own a revolver now for recreational shooting, I would be looking for one.