SW Bodyguard J frame.

Glenn E. Meyer

Saw my first one yesterday at the gun show. It was in the mid 400s.

The grip was narrow like on the old J's but synthetic not wood. The laser was on top. Given it has an integral laser - that's not a bad price.

Anybody shoot one - what does it give you that's better than a 642 - except that the cost of the laser beats adding one to a J.

If I were just buying a new one - maybe.

Opinions?

KyJim

Haven't shot one, haven't seen one. Advantages? No lock hole (I know, the gun itself is ugly), ambidextrous cylinder latch for lefties or weak hand, and the integral laser looks very convenient. I'm also guessing that the polymer frame will absorb more of the felt recoil than a metal frame.

Cajun Ken

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't adjust the Laser so I called S&W and they e-mailed me a shipping label. Fed Ex picked it up at my house and returned it 8 days later. The Laser is now "spot on".
Before I sent it back, I fired 100 rds thru it. The grip is small, but it fits my hand very well and I can point and shoot it better than any other handgun I've ever fired. I've never held or fired a 642, so I can't make a comparison.
It's a little hard on the thumb, but not a problem.
The range at Ft. Campbell has some knock-down targets and I would estimate I had about a 90% hit rate on the targets varying from 5 - 30 yds. This was snap shooting, not aimed fire.

BusGunner007

BODYGUARD's have a HUMPBACK...

...dang it!!!

I'm sad that name has been stolen to be used on anything BUTT the UGLY HUMPBACK. :mad:

There.
Somebody had to say it.

The Bodyguard is DEAD.
Long live the new M38...

amd6547

The M38 Bodyguard is NOT ugly...Nor is it dead (in my pocket, at least).
DSC01589.jpg

BusGunner007

I'm afraid you misunderstood my post.

Taking a Centennial and changing the location of the cylinder latch, plus adding a laser, then RENAMING it the BODYGUARD...well, that ain't right. :eek:

Tacking the name BODYGUARD onto a PISTOL is even more 'ain't right'. :(

What gives the original Bodyguard revolver its unique shape --- the hump --- seems not to matter to S&W. :mad:
They mock themselves.

To which I say:
I might buy one iteration or another someday, but S&W has taken the fun out of it.

carguychris

Taking a Centennial and changing the location of the cylinder latch, plus adding a laser, then RENAMING it the BODYGUARD...well, that ain't right.
FWIW the gun isn't a redone Centennial, it's a totally new design in every aspect. This is immediately obvious to any knowledgeable S&W fan who picks one up. The ejector rod is different, the cylinder rotates in the opposite direction, and it's turned by a central pawl rather than a hand that protrudes through a slot in the recoil shield.

I will concur, however, that they should have used a different name. Not sure what to call my M638 now. :rolleyes:

Glenn E. Meyer

Mommy?

Sorry - the gun is on the cover of the new Guns and Ammo. Interesting how the CCW/CHL movement has breathed new life into the 38s and 380s.

Dr_2_B

I've asked you to stop calling me mommy in public. That's a very good price if it includes a laser. Don't know that I'd switch from my 442, but if I were looking for a ccw revolver....

spacecoast

I'd like to see them offer it sans laser. That would make it very close to the LCR weight-wise, and maybe undercut the LCR's real-world price a bit. I think they would sell a lot of $300 LCR-like revolvers.

Has anyone tried the new model LCR .38 with the boot grip as opposed to the Hogue tamer? The new grip appears to be quite a bit smaller and more pocketable.

joegator

Mid 400s seems like a very good price. I'd go for it at that price. The ones I've seen in South Florida were in the $525 - $550 range. Seems strange that the S&W is running $200 less than the LCR with laser.

Chesster

What hath S&W wrought!!!!! I was appalled when Smith added locks. Now this!!!!! People, below is a Smith Bodyguard. :)

DSC_0013.jpg

Don P

To answer the question about being better. Yes/no IMO the added weight of the SS over the new bodyguard would be recoil reduction and I'll take that over the laser.

psyfly

Model 38 Bodyguard

attachment.php

If they would (could) only finish the new offering in that gorgeous blue it might hope to become the work of art that is the original Model 38.

A truly poetic example of form following function with great beauty :).

We'll see.

Best,

Will

Attachments

• M38 1.jpg
    M38 1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 451

LordTio3

I think I'll keep my 649.

And I'll keep my 637. I say, if you're going to have a hammer on a pistol like this, at least give the user proper access to it. Otherwise, just get yourself a 642 and be done with it. In my humble humble opinion, with the progression of the hammer-less design in the 642, the bodyguard kind of lost it's niche market (i.e. a small revolver that has a much lower likelihood of something obstructing the hammer travel). With a truly hammer-less design, that awarded likelihood drops to 0 instead of "extremely unlikely". I realize for nostalgia, the revival of the classic design seems like an intelligent marketing move, but I truly believe that if you need a hammer on your snub, you should be able to have proper access to it. And if you want one that you can fire from a pocket without having the hammer obstructed, then take the hammer out altogether (which they have become incredibly proficient with.

I don't see any benefit to the new Bodyguards which don't have any advantage over a 642 for the unobstructed operation function, and no real advantage over the 637 for having a hammer that is functional and accessable. It's another option for a snub .38 revolver when you need one "like now"; but it's not something I see anyone actively seeking for anything but nostalgic purposes.

JMO,
~LT

bikerbill

Can't believe S&W is selling this weapon with laser for under $500 ... I paid $450 for my 637 -- where did you get it for mid $400s???

LordTio3

I paid $325 for my 637. It really depends on where you are (regional/state), what the demand is (national/local), and who is selling it (private/gunshow/retail).

~LT