Surprised so far

blob

:) I was told that my new Remington 22/250 wouldn't stablize a bullet over 60 grains. But I have found that it shoots both the 64 grain and the 70 grain quite well. Using 33.0 grains IMR 4064 with the 70 grain Speer Semi Spitzer it grouped about .375. Will be shooting feedind deer at 75 -100 yards.

dfaugh

What's the twist rate?

Been considering a .22-250, but they all seem to be 1-14, and I want to use bullets up to 69-70 grn.

rwilson452

twist rate for 22-250

the Savage 12 series has a 1:12 twist. if your set on a heavier bullet you may want to consider a .243.

What is your intended purpose? I would need to know your intended target and at what range you expect to shoot at.

Tom Matiska

The 70gr Speer flat base semi spitzer was made to order for the older slow twists. My Speer#9 manual shows loads for 1-14" offerings of the 22-250 and 222 Rem. The bottom line on stability is LENGTH, not weight. If you switch to longer boattails to extend your range you will probably have to come down quite a bit.

blob

many use it

:) Contart to popular belief many use the 22/250 down here especially around bean fields with great sucess. Many use the 60 grain Hornady but I have a friend who uses the 55 grain FMJ. He takes several deer a year with it shooting 100-150 yards. Head shots, neck shots or ribs behind the shoulder work well. You have to hunt to the rifle you are using. I shot one buck last year with my .223, head shot and he just fell over at 75 yards. You don't need a 300 magnum to hunt at 100 yards and to shoot feeding deer. You have to learn how to shoot first.
Go to the web sight Texas Trophy Hunter and click on the TTH rifle. This rifle was made using the 6 milimeter case and the .224 bullet. With a 26 inch 1 and 8 barrel a 75 grain Vmax bullet has the same energy at 350 yards as a 270 130 grain. Look it up. I shoot a lot and the 22/250 will kill any deer I hunt with a 55, 64 or 70 grain bullet. Hey remember, the poachers favorite is a .22 magnum. A feeding deer at 50 -100 yards is an easy take with a 22/250. Place your shots so they count and down they go.:cool:

blob

70 grain Speer flat base

:) Thanks for the info on the Speer 70 grain and the 55 grain bear claw. I can shoot 45 to 55 through the same hole all day as long as I make sure I line up right. But didn't know how the 70 grain would do and also the 64 grain Winchester power point. I have a big bag of reloads ready to go tomorrow to test again. I have a friend how shoots coyotes using a 55 grain FMJ military round and has nailed them at 350 yards. So will have to look into a long range bullet later on after hunting season is over. Thanks again!:)

blob

stable

:) Understand the stablization of longer bullets but also have found that in some rifles that isn't so. I have seen several .308 and 30/06 rifles that would stablize the 110 grain bullet the best. it is a real short fat bullet. I had a 30/06 that would shoot the 110 like a .22. A friend had a 26" bull barreled Ruger that loved the 110 and never could get it to shoot 150, 165 or 180 accurate. Any 308 or 30/06 should love the 150 and 180. Every rifle is different and although I realize that certian calibers shoot different bullets better, sometimes it takes reloading an off the wall bullet to get it to shoot. Any .223 or 22/250 should shoot the normal 45-55 grain bullet very accrute and they are the shorest of all. But have seen some that needed to be move up to the 60 grain. I shot yesterday in a good breeze at 50 yards and 33.5 grains of IMR 4064 blew out a 5 shot .250 group on the 70 grain and the same on the 64 grain using 34.0 grains of IMR 4064. Later I will try other powders to up the velocity.

dfaugh

Well...

I want a "long range" bullet in a .22 caliber, to shoot coyotes with minimal pelt damage....I would like to use handloaded "match" (HPBT) to minimize wind drift, etc.... but it seems that all the .22-250 guns have a twist that's probably too slow, for those... Will a 1-12 or 1-14 twist work with these bullets?

blob

shooting coyotes

I have a friend that shots coyotes at long distance and uses the plain old military 55 grain FMJ bullet. Real accurate at 400 yards +.:cool: