Surprised and a little disappointed!

the45er

I have a fair collection of pistols and am fortunate enough to live on 35 acres where I can shoot off my back porch. I am a huge Sig fan, owning five of them (P238, P938, P320, P365 and a P220). My main carry is the P365 but this afternoon I decided to run a few through my P938. After shooting 18 rounds I started picking up my brass and noticed, there on the porch, was what looked like a guide rod (see pic). At first I didn't think it could possibly be off my P938 but lo and behold, when I pulled the pistol out of my holster and looked, the recoil spring guide was gone!

With an amazing bit of luck, I found the rod itself but unfortunately, the piece that threads onto the rod is gone, lost in the flower bed or yard somewhere. This gun does not have 100 rounds through it and is in brand new condition. I'm very concerned that this two piece part could come unthreaded this easily and am thankful that I didn't shoot more round through it in this condition.

I know Sig Sauer will send me a new part but here's a piece of advice for all you 238/938 owners. Check that threaded rod connection every time you clean/service your weapon!

Attachments

• sig guide rod.jpeg
    sig guide rod.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 113

Forte S+W

This is unfortunately an old issue with both the SIG P238 and P938, an unfortunate byproduct of the disign of the recoil spring assembly using a threaded endcap for the guide rod. They ship with thread locker on the guide rod, but it can break lose under recoil over time or the thread lock can be compromised by certain solvents.

If you contact SIG and explain what happened, they'll send you a free replacement guide rod, and you can request a one piece guide rod if you don't want to have to keep an eye on it.

RickB

There's a company, surprisingly called something like Stainless Steel Guiderods, making one-piece rods for the 938.
If it makes you feel any better, I have 4k rounds through mine, and the factory 2-piece guide rod is still tight.