Surprise, surprise, I don't shoot .40S&W very well

CortJestir

So any tips for a new shooter? Shot my first .40S&W today - a rented Sig P229. Being so similar to my P226, I was hoping the platform would give me an edge. However, at 25 feet, I was able to keep my shots on paper (an 8" plate target), but they were high and to the left. I expect I am anticipating / can't control the snappy recoil. What say you, SOAK?

Thanks,
CJ

Slopemeno

More time shooting that particular gun will help. There's no problem with the Sig platform. Try to work on a surprise break on your trigger- keep your grip consistent, and keep adding pressure with your index finger.
Front sight....press.

If you are looking for some overall advice, I'd seriously look at a quality airgun. I've found the Daisy 717 air pistol to be a great value, with really good accuracy. No noise or recoil to worry about, just some quality time with your front sight. You can shoot in your garage, apartment, or condo if you make a pellet trap.

Rent a Ruger Mk-II or Mk-III. They're fairly heavy, with a generally good trigger, and the low ammo cost means you can really afford to get to the range more often.

Look into some real instruction. A good instructor is a huge advantage, and it's worth the cost. If you want to try something fun, have your instructor load your magazine with a snap-cap instead of a live round at a random point in your mag. You won't believe how hard you'll lunge forward to fight the non-existent recoil. That's called a "ball-and-dummy" drill.

Competition helps too. Nothing like a group of your friends watching you and the scores to make you focus. Find a bullseye league, then transition to bowling-pin, IDPA or USPSA.

Remember, it's not work. Enjoy it.

Saab1911

You can never tell with rented guns.

Some rented guns are just plain worn out.

Handgun accuracy at 25 feet does not really depend on caliber and has
everything to do with the shooter. I can shoot a round a second and get all
my shots in the bullseye at that distance with any caliber. Others' targets
sometimes look like swiss cheese at the same distance.

If you shoot 9mm better than 40 S&W at 25 feet, you may be flinching.

Cures for flinching include dry firing and doubling up on hearing protection.
Also, it is very important to develop enough trigger discipline such that
you're not yanking on the trigger and making it fire thereby making
the discharge predictable to your conscious mind and to your autonomic
nervous system which wants to flinch.

Smaug

Both of the above two shooters are right.

If you can shoot a BB gun well, you can shoot a 40 well. You need practice, and some mental training to beat the flinch.

However, it may not be 100% flinch. For me, flinch always = a low shot. If you're shooting high, it may be something else.

Try another bullet weight, and a couple of other kinds of ammo.

The key is to maintain the sight picture while you slowly squeeze the trigger. Every time, the shot should be a surprise to you.

I don't think it is the caliber or the gun. I think it is you, and I think you just need some practice & patience.

One range session is not enough. ;)

Oh, and Jae is right. 25' is child's play. Practice at 25 yards. When you move it in to 25' and try again, you'll be shooting bullseyes every time.

CortJestir

Thanks for the insight, all.

It's definitely me. No doubt about it. :D And yes, one range trip is never enough.

The pellet gun idea is a great idea. Much more tactile result than a dry fire on my 226, for sure. And quiet enough not to wake my neighbors.

funon1

I found similar issue

I think the 229 is a bit more difficult to shoot well. I shot 226 and 229 side by side and I had a well centered, tight group with the 226 and the target from the 229 looked like I was patterning buckshot at 50 yards or something. LOL I think they bounce more, give you a shorter sight radius, smaller grip and have less inherrent accuracy. I would stick with the 226 myself, but if you want the 229 just figure out how to beat the flinch and go for it.

Harry Callahan

Don't give up yet. I have a BHP Practical in .40 that I've never shot real well. I just got some wooden grips which make the circumference of the handle alot thinner so I'll wait until I try those out first before I throw it in the river;).

wingman

I think the 40 has a "different" recoil more of a twisting, I was using 45acp
and switched to 40 it took sometime before becoming comfortable with
it.

GoSlash27

The flinch can be cured simply by slowing down. Bring the trigger right to the breaking point, then hold it there. If you've got a flinch, it will be immediately evident. That exercise will train the flinch out of you. Afterwards you can shoot faster.

CortJestir

I think the 40 has a "different" recoil more of a twisting

I found that too. I had done a lot of reading on here beforehand on the yanking recoil of the .40 vs. the pushing recoil of the .45 vs. the snappy or crisp recoil of a 9mm. (You can spend days reading all the .40 vs .45 threads on here!) But I have to admit it still caught me by surprise. Definitely a different feel and one I'd like to master at some point.

But I definitely need more training as well. And good training at that. My old music teacher used to say "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

WESHOOT2

well past 40

I have a 5" 1911 in 40 S&W; I have a Witness in 40 S&W.

I have 5" 1911s in 9x19 and 400 CorBon and 45 ACP; I have Witnesses in 9x19, 9x21, 41 AE, and 45 ACP.

I shoot the 40's worst, unless I feed them sissy ammo (which I do, because I make my own).
When I feed them 'conventional-velocity' ammo they recoil too heavily for me to adequately control.

So I feed them sissy ammo, which I am more able to control.
But I prefer 9x19.

CortJestir

Update here...

So took my wife to the range for the first time to get her trained on our HD weapon. While there, I rented a Smith & Wesson M&P in .40. Happy to say that I shot much better with it. Groups could be tighter, of course, but they were on target and not high and to the left like they were on the 229. I was itching to try an M&P anyway. Very nice gun.

Last edited:

ImDisaster

I don't buy the push vs. snap recoil arguments of the .40 vs. the .45. I think it is much more related to the design of the gun, than the round. You will get more push with a lower bore axis. You will get less snap with a well designed locking breech design that "spaces out" the recoil.

A blowback .45 (HiPoint) will be wayyyy snappier than a Browning locked breech design. A Sig .45 will have more roll than a lower bore axis Glock or 1911.

CortJestir

What does SOAK mean?
Source Of All Knowledge
Take an NRA Basic Handgun course or shoot a .45ACP 1911A1.
Did both of those, actually. Shot better with the .45 1911.

ImDisaster, I'm inclined to agree, having shot at least two .40 caliber guns now using the same ammunition and having come up with two different results. Although I admit that's hardly anything to base any opinions on.

I think most will argue, however, that it's all of the above - shooter and recoil characteristics of both gun and caliber. But like anything else, it's all about practice and training.

Thanks all,
CJ

nutty ned

You may need a heavier gun; however, the trigger may be your problem.
I thought the .40S&W was too much in a glock; but, ok in a baby eagle and a pt-101.