Surplus Rock River Arms Resale Value?

Crazy88Fingers

I have an uncle who is a law enforcement officer for a state agency. He called me today to let me know that his department recently acquired some new Rock River Arms AR-15s that they apparently have no use for (my tax dollars at work) and it seems they'll be up for sale soon. The asking price? $550.

That seems stupid cheap for an AR-15. I've honestly never cared for them, and already have a Mini-14 that covers my rifle needs. But at this price it seems like it would be worth a shot, and if it turns out I don't like it I could probably sell it and turn a profit.

Now the question is: how much could I expect to get for it? As far as I know the rifles have not been used by the agency much, if at all. And I'm afraid I can't give any specifics as far as model number, accessories, etc.

But how much is a basic RRA AR-15 worth in your neck of the woods?

And how many of these things could I buy to resell before the ATF comes knocking at my door? :D

Creeper

The problem is that RRA makes guns that can be under a grand, and well over a grand... or two.

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that they are the model AR1201X - "Tactical CAR A4" with a base MSRP of $995.00 and a street price of $825 to $895.

Now it's not likely, but... lets say they have a bunch of AR1731 - Pro-Series ELITEs that MSRP at $2,750.00. Well now, that's a whole different story ain't it. :p

Buy as many as you can afford... assuming you can make it worthwhile.

C

Crazy88Fingers

Got some more info yesterday. I forgot to ask if they were used again...:eek:

100 AR-15s that no one wants to carry have apparently been sitting in a storage room for a few years. 40 are going up for sale. Unfortunately they're stripping off the red dots and lights, and just selling them bare with a soft case. But the paper work is being put in!

Technosavant

I would presume that the rifles are probably the sort that would go for about $900ish new... M4 profile bread and butter 16" ARs.

For $550 for a very lightly used Rock River, I'd DEFINITELY be interested if I were in the market for one. That's a good deal.

RsqVet

I would buy one though I think it's laughable that there is not some use for them somewhere. There are many cops who feel the need for an AR, or something other than a 870 sitting in the squad yet they are dumping a bunch of RRA guns?

Makes not sense. But yeah I'd buy 2 if they are new / lightly used.

sailskidrive

I bet in three years they'll be requesting a Federal grant to purchase 40 new ARs. :rolleyes:

A few years ago I bought a LAPD serial numbered Glock 22 for $319 that looked like it had never been fired. The case had a piece of masking tape on it marked "spare".