Surefire picatinny unit for Remington 870

uglygun

I'd just like to have that muzzle brake/flash suppressor thing.

That is what I like the most about that entire gun. I just don't like ghost ring sights much and that whole thing is an integral unit.

I'd like to have something similar set up on a modified choke RemChoke device so I could put it screw it onto a barrel with little trouble.

Apeach

It's a great idea, really cool looking, but with all the stuff on there it's too big. You could probably use those M16 handguard panels that Knights Armaments makes for it's RAS with that, though, so that would take care of some of the problem. Otherwise, I really like it.

Coronach

OMG, I think I just heard Dave McC swear an unrepeatable oath...and he's two states away from here.

Its a bit much for me. Hehehe. Borg gun. Nice comment.

Mike ;)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Mike, we're about 7 states apart and our esteemed moderator a few more. Still, you might have heard me..... Retching....

Is one of those gadgets a grenade launcher? If not, why not?

OK, from the top....

I looked all those thumbnails over, and I remain rather unenthused. All those bells, whistles, fuzzy dice and fender skirts are a bad case of overkill. Of course, one may have to deal with a perp who watches even more action movies than oneself, who would be so impressed he would just collapse and die on the spot. (Sarcasm mode off).

I doubt my jaundiced view would be improved by handling and firing this travesty. While I like heavy and muzzle heavy "Serious" shotguns, this is too much of a good thing. And, would anyone hazard a guess how easy that forearm is to navigate through brush, tight places,etc? It has lots of abrupt angles that can catch and hang up a weapon at a horribly wrong moment.

And Erick's right.That snappy little number on the muzzle is for breaching.And by my semi wildeyed guess, a compensator is not needed, since the thing weighs about as much as an M 60.3 inch mag 000 made with depleted Uranium pellets and rubbed with garlic kick like a 410.

BTW, where's the bayonet?

Kidding aside, "Serious" shotguns oft need a Light Source. That rail with ONE reliable light on it, no lazer, and a more streamlined setup, might be well worth checking out.

And Justin, thanks(I think)...

Shawn Dodson

I have a Surefire 870 fore end unit and I don't like the position of the light directly under the barrel. When rolling out from behind a corner the light beam shines directly into the cover in front of me. I'm looking for a system that will allow me to mount a light that's clocked somewhere between 2-3 o'clock in relation to the muzzle. This way when I roll out from behind a corner, the light will shine downrange instead directly into my cover. Not sure if the PK Engineering Picatinny rail unit will allow me to do this. But I'm glad to see development of various gadgets continues.

Also looking into an optical red dot sight to replace my tritium rifle sights. I believe an optical red dot sight is superior to a laser sighting system. Would like to find a smoothbore barrel with a cantilever scope mount to try out my idea.

uglygun

Well, it's not an actual bayonet but the pedals of the muzzle device left me thinking of a much similar looking Phantom type flash suppressor where the forward tongs of flash suppressor are a further threat if one should decide to use them in a thrust. The overall appearance of the thing had me left thinking it was a sort of shotgun version of the Phantom type flash suppressor.

A muzzle device specially adapted for breaching, I'd never thought of that but it makes perfect sense now that you've mentioned it.

If I were to have one on my 870, which is certainly lighter than the 870 in that series of pictures, I'd hope that those large ports would help to tame felt recoil just a tad. Most my knowledge is of combat type rifles and carbines, not combat type shotguns. For a long time I'd wanted to see a flash suppressor type device for a shotgun, I know they make compensators for them but I was really hoping on a flash suppressor of sorts and I guess that hope had led me to think what I was seeing was something it was not.

Never known if a flash suppressor has been tried on a shotgun and I'm not sure how much effect it would really have but I don't think it's something that too many people have tried.

They've done "duck bills" and they've done compensators, now how about a giant phantom type flash suppressor?

Thanks though for setting me straight though on just what the hell that combination unit was built into the front sight.

TM

Interesting, but how are you supposed to work the action with all of the stuff on the slide?