Sure, I'd buy a Glock...for my uncle

Murdock

I need some help to get out from under a free handgun deal got into. Just don't tell anybody I bought a Glock and everything will be OK.

So my uncle gave me this unfired S&W M66-3 with a six-inch tube that he got in some arcane gun deal, probably for next to nothing. (He won't tell me how much he has in it, just that it was a "distressed" sale). I'm a sucker for Smiths, and took it. Should have seen the following coming. Nothing is free.

"I really would like to get a .40 semi-auto for my truck gun. Do you think you could find me one? I know I'm making a mistake using just a .38. I'm going to run out of ammo pretty quick if I have to use it." He said he didn't need pretty, just good.

I'm a 1911 and Smith wheelgun kinda guy and don't know much about Glocks, but we agreed that the best bet would likely be a Glock, either a compact or regular service pistol. I told him that Glocks were very, very ugly guns but that they statistically always worked, and he said OK.

So I shopped in two states for a suitable Glock at a fair price, and eventually bought a used 27 in good shape, Tritium sights, with three magazines, one 9-round that fits flush with the bottom of the grip and two "plus one" 10 rounders with the little finger hooks, one a factory piece and one a Pearce extender.

So now my uncle wants a higher capacity mag than 10 rounds (He's a retired cop, and maybe has too many enemies). And, "You mean it doesn't have adjustable sights?" (Crimminy!) Ain't no way I'm now gonna start shopping again for a different Glock. (I mean, they are sooo ugly and I have a reputation to maintain). I told him to try the fixed tritium sights as they are, and only look into adjustable sights if the fixed ones were off to any degree.

In the mean time, IIRC, somebody used to make a device that slipped over the body the longer, full-size Glock magazine that fit flush with the grip of a compact, giving the effect of the full-size grip of a service pistol with the service pistol magazine inserted. Haven't been able to Google one.

Seriously, my uncle is a really good guy and I want to take care of him on this deal, and for him to be happy. Any help with locating one of the slip over magazine accessories would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MosinM38

Fixed? Aren't they drift-adjustable? Elevation they should be REALLY close, no more than an inch either way.

And seconded Glockstore. I don't own a Glock (Thank goodness), but have heard it mentioned for that item.

no_agenda

Why so much hate for Glocks? Is it because my $400 Glock 19 has and will continue to beat $1200 Kimbers in competition, and have ZERO reliabilty issues? Oh ya...because they are ugly, I forgot.

jfrey

Yes, Glocks are ugly, reliable, indestructable, inexpensive, and they run regularly, but there are other pistols out there that will do the same thing and are a lot more appealing to the eye.

Glocks have a place and a purpose, like all other things. I wouldn't take my $2000.00 Briley into the South Texas brush tracking a wounded hog. That is where the Glock goes. If it gets scratched or muddy, I clean it off and go again.

Glock makes a good pistol, they just aren't for everyone.

Murdock

Jeez, have a sense of humor will ya?

I don't hate Glocks. They are a wonderful example of zero-based engineering. Gaston Glock had never designed a pistol before. He started without prejudice or tradition to hold him back and created a brilliantly successful weapon. Arguably they are unsurpassed in terms of reliability and durability. That has to be respected. If somebody handed me one to use in a fight I'd be more than pleased to use it (to get back to my rifle). As long as it was a .45, of course. I would never have recommended a Glock for a relative to use if I didn't believe in its efficiency.

But they are ugly. :D

Thanks for the steer on Glockstore.com, guys. Just what I was looking for.

wyobohunter

Why so much hate for Glocks? Is it because my $400 Glock 19 has and will continue to beat $1200 Kimbers in competition, and have ZERO reliabilty issues?

Which competition are you talking about?

teeroux

Why so much hate for Glocks? Is it because my $400 Glock 19 has and will continue to beat $1200 Kimbers in competition, and have ZERO reliabilty issues? Oh ya...because they are ugly, I forgot.

Ha one of last years fun shoots the only pistol to malfunction the whole day was a glock.:D

Even the Kimbers didn't malfunction.:p

hickok45

Let your uncle know that Glocks tend to shoot right on, right out of the box. That's been MY experience since the '80s. That's part of the beauty; you don't have to have big, complex sights to adjust.

Also, what's your uncle expecting to happen that would require more than 9 or 10 before getting an opportunity to replace his empty (or nearly empty) magazine with a spare G22 magazine (15 rounds). Maybe something belt-fed would be in order! :)

Anyway, the Glock 27 is perfect, in my opinion. Keep a spare magazine somewhere if desired, and it can be much higher capacity than the G27 magazine if wanted.

Hickok45

Officer's Match

If Hickok45's vid's don't convince you, then you have no use for good info. And I tend to agree with him in recommending not to use magazine extensions and/or using a magazine as a grip. The feeding function of any semiauto ought not to have any variables introduced in to the equation in a self defense scenario.

NWPilgrim

Glocks are ugly, I'll give you that. :D

I don't see any need for a mag grip extender for back up mags. Store/carry it with the original 9-rounder and have a couple of 13 or 15 round backups. They work fine without an adaptor.

I believe Glock sells three different height front sights if you need to adjust for vertical. The rear can be moved for windage. All the Glocks I have used shot pretty much to point of aim with OEM fixed sights, especially for defensive purpose ranges.