Supressor prices

MarkCO

Sure, suppressors have a huge markup...supply and demand. But I doubt you can make a good one for $30. There is a local series 7 I know of selling 9mm suppressors for about $250 with a lifetime warranty. When you shoot it out, he will just rebuild it. He has about $50 in them and figures most won't get shot enough to fail. Glock made some that retail for about $150 (not available in US) that only last for about 150 rounds.

zach_

Does your company sell these $250.00 supressors? That sound reasonable. Well, I guess then you have the $200.00 *** tax, plus sales tax, transfer fee, shipping and handling, never mind. I will just keep wearing plugs and muffs all the time.

MarkCO

No, I do not sell them, and would not recommend them either. With the $200 tax, you want something that will last from a proven company, not rebuilds every few hundred rounds.

zach_

Wow, I was not aware that a supressor would wear out. Since you do not sell these items, what is the starting point of useable suppressor in your opinion.

Is there a supressor that would work with 22 shot shells. A shooter at a range told me that a 22 supressor would not work, and actually was dangerous with shot shells. I want to control snakes in the yard without getting the law involved when a shot would be fired. I have to remove several snakes from my yard every spring.

MarkCO

.22 suppressors are from about $180 to maybe $500. Centerfire pistol from about $300 to $1000 and centerfire rifle from about $600 on up to crazy.

Silencerco just came out with a 12 gauge suppressor, but not birdshot. You are not going to find a suppressor that will work for .22 birdshot. However, if it is against the law to fire a round, it is against the law, suppressed or not.

Machineguntony

The fact that a silencer costs $30 to manufacture is quite irrelevant. For example, the bottle of Coke you buy at the super market for $2 has only about 5 cents worth of product in it. There is workman's costs, transport, R&D, advertising, and other associated costs beyond the actual cost of production.

The real mark up comes from the inability of silencer manufacturers to sell to a broader public. If ATF dropped silencers from the NFA list, the cost would go down significantly, by at least 50%. How do I know this? I don't. I'm just having fun speculating because these things are fun to talk about. I'm pretty sure that I saw the 50% number from somewhere on the internet, which is never wrong.

Mobuck

Apparently, a large part of the mark-up is to cover the costs of jumping through BATFE hoops to make the darned things legal.
In addition, it's a fairly narrow niche market AND many of the dealers feel they have a somewhat captive market. I talked to an NFA dealer a while back and he was about as snotty as any business man I've encountered. His comment was "NFA items are expensive so if you can't afford the price, don't waste my time". He was pricing suppressors at retail plus ??%. I decided I could drive 100 miles to deal with another guy and walked out.

skizzums

what's unsettling about the article is what were the silencers contracted for? is it saying that the guy that ordered them contracted his brother to build them?

zach_

@ Marco , I have respect for the law. People shoot snakes, and coyote in some areas around here with 12 ga. Shotguns. Always causes a stir. I want to avoid the stir. The police would let it go if the shot was heard and a snake or coyote carcass is present. Yes we have coyote in the middle of the dfw metroplex where there is adequate habitat in the area. I do not have coyote here. The area is fully developed. I would not buy an illegal suppressor. Marco, 95 points or more of margin on a silencer purchased online, no storefront, charging for shipping, add a $200.00 mystery tax, ....... is a criminal act in my opinion. That opinion has cost me a job in another industry in the past. Excessive margins cost a former employer 3/4 of a group of accounts that they paid millions of dollars for. The remaining accounts laid down the pricing they were willing to charge an end user, in line with previous margins. That one pricing decision nearly buried the company. I am curious to see how the suppressor market plays out. The gun buying public does seem to forgive and forget quickly.

Geezerbiker

Want to see what the cost without regulation, just take a look at what they cost in countries where they're not regulated. I don't get the NAZI like regulation of suppressors but that's the way it is...

The only way I can afford one is to go through the paper work to make it myself. The $400 for a mini lathe would be worth it because I could use it for other projects later on...

Tony

Skans

You can have an oil filter suppressor for about $10 + $200 stamp + about $50 for the adapter.

Theohazard

Skans said:
You can have an oil filter suppressor for about $10 + $200 stamp + about $50 for the adapter.
Yeah, but you can't legally change out the filter; you have to send it to a properly-licenced manufacturer and have them do it for you.

When you have a registered oil filter silencer adaptor, it's supposed to come with one oil filter. The ATF considers that oil filter a silencer part just like the baffles on a regular silencer. And, just like you can't legally change out the baffles on a regular silencer, you can't legally change out the filter on an oil filter silencer when it wears out. When the filter wears out, you're supposed to send the whole thing back to the manufacturer for them to switch it for you. Last I checked, most companies only charged about $25 for the switch.

Sure, most owners of oil filter silencer adapters probably change out the filter themselves without ever getting caught, but that doesn't mean it's legal.

Machineguntony

[redacted due to my question being answered]

Although, I am going to check with said person who provided my original info.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the only part of a silencer that is integral and considered to be the actual silencer is the part that holds the serial number. Any part without a serial number can be replaced, sold, shipped, etc.

That is wrong.

It's that misconception that the manufacturers of "solvent trap adapters" exploit. Under the law, a silencer is,

any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication. [18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24)]

zach_

Looks like the link above could give you the opportunity to spend some quality time with some lonely convicts. No thanks. The price of suppressors still irks me.