Suppressor Weight Differences...Noticeable?

shappy0869

I have been looking at the data at Silencertests.com and after looking at the cans in my price range ($600), it seems that the biggest difference between the least expensive TI Tac-16 and some of the others is weight, almost 6 oz in some cases.

Is that amount of weight really noticeable?

I have attached a more manageable .pdf file with the weighted results. Any opinions on the cans in my price range?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Silencer.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 83

raymond-

the small differences in weight can (pun intended) be very noticeable! all comes
down to the platform you're using, and the 'moment' specs, ie how far the can
extends beyond the new center of gravity. yes, when purchasing a sound
supporessor, one should take note of the nose and balance of the package.
it can change (and how quickly one does this) the pointability of the firearm
when in operation. for casual use, this may end up being next to nothing in
terms of consideration.

view the weight and balance similar to a tennis raquet. the more weight you
have towards the raquet head, the slower it swings

shappy0869

Is there any way to know ahead of time, especially if dealers in my area are not stocking the ones I am interested in? Should I just go with the lightest one?

For example, the Tac16 weighs 23.7 oz, the AAC Ranger weighs 19.4 oz, the HTG Aris weighs 19oz and the Gemtech M4-02 weighs 17.8 oz.

raymond-

hmmm, i dunno... how about securing a short length of PVC to your barrel with
simlar overhang and add sampled weight right in the middle of the overhang?
that should do the trick. there may be felt diff between an short stocked M4
bbl vs 20 bull bbl. i dont know if you're having to consider full auto durability vs
semi etc

shappy0869

I am planning on putting on a PLR-16, but I don't have the gun yet. Semi-auto only, so no concerns there, although I want a can that is full-auto capable, so it can handle the heat of a short barrel.

Thanks.

evan1293

whoever that was in the video came awefully close to aiming a loaded gun at their head. :eek: Thats the most dangerous way I've ever seen anybody tighten up their suppressor!