Suppressor/Silencer Suggestion for 9.2" barrel?

shappy0869

I am toying with the idea of getting a Kel-Tec PLR-16 and putting a can on it. However, it has a pretty short 9.2" barrel and I have heard that such a short barrel can cause the round to hit the baffles of a suppressor. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to which suppressor I should go with? I would really like to keep the cost as low as possible.

Thanks.

VUPDblue

The only reasons why a baffle strike would occur are non-concentric threads or an unstable bullet. The PLR16 is a pistol with the correct twist rate to stabilize a .223 bullet, so baffle strikes wouldn't occur because of an unstable bullet. If you want to keep costs down, you should look at the Tac16 from Tactical Innovations. They make a good can at a good price. You also should be looking at what Gemtech has to offer. One other way of getting a good price is to look for dealer 'demo' cans. Most of the time they have been used less that 100 rounds and can be had very reasonably. You just have to find a dealer who is looking to get rid of one. A good place to check out is the NFA Firearms & Parts section of the Equipment Exchange over at AR15.com

shappy0869

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

I was actually on the TI website looking at the Tac-16 and they state that "The shorter barrels pose a few problems for suppressors. First, the shorter barrels, depending on the bullet weight, have a much harder time trying to stabilize the bullet, ofter resulting in tumbling and off axis wobble. In a suppressor, either one will result in baffle and or endcap strikes. We've done some informal testing with a 10" barrel and wound up with some endcap hits. Any manufacturer's suppressor would have the same problem due to the inability of the barrel to stabilize the bullet. "

However, common sense tells me that if you are shooting rounds that don't keyhole without a suppressor, there is no reason to think that they will all of a sudden start to tumble with one on, especially within the first 6 inches of flight. Sounds like they are just trying to cover their behinds.

VUPDblue

They are also talking about standard 1:9 AR15 barrels that have been shortened to 10", not pistol barrels that are made for the purpose.

shappy0869

Time to start saving more $$$!

Most PLR owners say that it is a super loud gun with a huge muzzle flash (makes sense given all the unburnt powder), so a suppressor should make it much more friendly in the event it is needed for HD use.

Thanks again.

VUPDblue

You are right about the chambering, but the loading is what is in question. Military ammo is loaded to a certain spec. There are a wide variety of .223 loads out there but most 5.56 is loaded very similar in respect to bullet weight and velocity. I read that the Kel-Tec was designed to be used with the military's 5.56 spec.'d ammo.

p99guy

Also,I would buy a suppressor that is "rated for full auto" Not because your Kel-Tec is a full auto, but because the blast put out by a short barrel is rough on a suppressor's internals..so you want tough construction. also it would probly be best to use FMJ as it is less likely to come apart during a baffle strike or shed a jacket.

mxwelch

Also,I would buy a suppressor that is "rated for full auto" Not because your Kel-Tec is a full auto, but because the blast put out by a short barrel is rough on a suppressor's internals..so you want tough construction. also it would probly be best to use FMJ as it is less likely to come apart during a baffle strike or shed a jacket.

Excellent advice.