Suppressor ready bolt gun in 7.62x39

2damnold4this

I'm looking for a bolt gun in 7.62x39 that is suppressor ready. The Howa mini looks nice but the threads are 1/2x28 which seem small for a 30 caliber. I know I can get an adapter to go from 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 and then mount a muzzle brake that my suppressor uses as a base but could that cause problems? Would I be better off with a rifle that has a slightly heavier barrel and the larger 5/8x24 threads?

FrankenMauser

1/2-28 is fine for x39.

But...
The Ruger American Ranch is ready to roll and 5/8-24.
Most people love them.
All actual owners seem to love them.
I've spent a little time behind the trigger of one. It shot well, and was great suppressed.

My only hang-up is the high mag tension, since it uses Mini-30 magazines. Makes it a janky, stiff action. But you could always cut the spring(s) to make them more appropriate for bolt gun use.

hammie

If you're sold on the Howa mini action, you can buy the version with the heavy barrel (which isn't all that heavy). It has a 5/8x24 thread. And I have that 7.62x39 HB version with an area 419 2 port muzzle brake. The howa is a high quality action, accurate, and with a good trigger (no funky blade). The cons with the howa: (1) The 90 degree bolt lift is problematic for mounting a scope with a large eyepiece bell. (2) The plastic floorplate/trigger guard is flimsy and can crack around the hole where the stock/action bolts go through. Plus, the magazine latch is not all that positive and is configured so that it is easy to accidentally dump a magazine. The solution is to replace the floorplate/trigger guard with a Diversified Innovative Products (DIP), machined aluminum floorplate and re-designed magazine latch. Unfortunately, that's about 150 $, but worth it in my opinion. This may sound like I'm down on the howa, but I'm not. I have added a mini howa, chambered for 6.5 grendel, in an MDT oryx chassis and love it. Both my howas, are not going anywhere.

I had a ruger american chambered for .300 blackout (not the ranch version). I did not like it. The 60 degree bolt lift is nice for scope clearance, but the steeper cocking ramp means more bolt lift effort. Also, the Ruger American has a shorter bolt handle, which just intensifies the effort. So that meant installing a longer handle and knob. I also don't like the plastic bolt shroud and bladed trigger, and so I replaced those. But that is just a personal preference. The plastic magazine with my ruger was flimsy. One literally fell apart into pieces with the second use. That rifle is gone (my son really wanted it). I would not buy another Ruger American.

"Taylorforce's" idea of the CZ600 is interesting. I haven't handled or shot a CZ, but if I were in the market for a .223 or 7.62x39, I would take a look at one. It's worth investigating.

Last edited:

2damnold4this

Thanks for the advice. You guys have given me quite a bit to think about.

The suppressor I have is the Rugged Razor 7.62. I've used it on AR uppers in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:

taylorce1

2damnold4this said:
The suppressor I have is the Rugged Razor 7.62. I've used it on AR uppers in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel.

Rugged makes either a 7.62 flash hider or 3 port brake in 1/2-28 thread to mount your suppressor on. No need to adapt up to 5/8-24 thread.

ATCDoktor

If you can find one, the Ruger American Ranch is the only suppressor ready bolt gun in 7.62X39 I would consider.

Of all the 7.62X39 bolt guns I own it’s the one I shoot the most.

I bought the very first Ruger American Ranch chambered for the X39 I saw back when it was first introduced and have never fired a round out of it that was not suppressed.

The suppressor I use is a YHM Titanium direct thread and I find that it suppresses the cartridge well.

Accuracy with the American is as good as my other bolt guns in X39 (my other two being a Savage Scout and a CZ 527).

Last edited:

taylorce1

jackstrawIII said:
Howa makes a heavier barreled option. I'd go with that.

I really like Howa, but I have a hard time recommending them right now. If you need warranty work for any reason, you're SOL. It's long and arduous process to get anything, and if they need to replace the rifle you may or may not get the same chamber. Ask USAF Ret about his experience.

ATCDoktor makes a compelling case for the Ruger American Ranch. I have one in .300 BLK and it is a very decent rifle. I dislike the stock, but buying a Boyd's or Bell & Carlson is going to ruin the weight of the rifle. So its six of one half dozen of the other kind of situation. So I enjoy it for what it is, but if I was to buy again I'd go with a different rifle in .300 BLK.

That's why the CZ topped my list if I was to buy a rifle in 7.62X39. I'd prefer the older Suppressor Ready (SR) 527 over the current SR 600 model. It is definitely a more expensive option.

2damnold4this

Thanks for all of the advice. I did see where Rugged makes a 1/2x28 flash hider for 7.62 that will serve as a suppressor mount but the Howa seems like a less attractive option after reading the advice on this thread.

Nick3220

If you can find one, the Ruger American Ranch is the only suppressor ready bolt gun in 7.62X39 I would consider.

Of all the 7.62X39 bolt guns I own it’s the one I shoot the most.

I bought the very first Ruger American Ranch chambered for the X39 I saw back when it was first introduced and have never fired a round out of it that was not suppressed.

Do you load your own subsonic rounds? Does that gun ever have issues stabilizing subs?