Suppressor performance & barrel length ??

SR420

All things being equal; .308 ammunition, barrel twist and a full size .308 suppressor.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running the suppressor
on a short 16.25" barrel vs. a longer 20.0" or 22.0" barrel?

What say you?

Last edited:

SR420

Thank you.

Am I correct in thinking that it works OK on the shorter barrel, but for best results
and maybe less wear and tear on the suppressor stay with the longer barrels?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm no silencer expert. You just learned about everything I know on the subject. ;)

No question that it should theoretically be quieter with longer barrels. How much it matters per inch, I have no idea. How much it wears on a silencer to have 15,000psi muzzle pressure (which is a reasonable number at 16") dumped in it rather than 9,000 (which is reasonable at 24"), I don't know.

Theohazard

Every time you shoot a center-fire rifle suppressor, you wear it out a little bit. It takes thousands of rounds and most suppressers will outlive most barrels, but it will happen eventually. And using a shorter barrel will be louder and will wear out the suppressor faster.

And some suppressers are only rated for certain barrel lengths. For example, the Surefire 5.56 Micro is a very small can so Surefire says it only should only be used on barrels 14.5" and above. And the AAC SDN-6 is a .308 can, but AAC says you can use it on a 300 Win Mag if you're shooting it out of a long enough barrel (I think they said 26").

Lark

You get more noise from the shorter barrel, but it is also less bulky than the longer barrel. I think the shorter barrels are nicer when suppressed.