Suppressable .22LR pistol

Technosavant

Right now I'm looking into getting a .22LR pistol that can be suppressed. I already have a Sig Trailside for most of my plinking fun, so it won't be my sole .22LR handgun.

The difficulty level is that it needs to come from the factory with a threaded barrel- I'm NOT spending $400 for the gun, $300 for a suppressor, $200 for a tax stamp, and yet another $300 for a threaded barrel because the manufacturer doesn't make them that way.

Just to reiterate: NO options that require extra expenditure for a threaded barrel. Period. Also not interested in integral suppression- the can needs to go on my .22LR rifle as well, so an integral won't work.

From what I've seen my options seem to be the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22. While I'm not opposed to either of them (and right now the P22 may have the edge due to size; I like the compact nature of the thing just because), neither has all that stellar a record for reliability. Am I missing anything else? To my knowledge Ruger doesn't make anything with a threaded muzzle (and the new top ends end up costing about $200-300, which is a bit more than I want to swallow for this endeavor), and I have gotten rid of one 22/45 in the past because I hated the crappy feel and the Rube Goldberg reassembly instructions. I can overlook the reassembly bit, but I can't deal with paying more just for that.

So, given those restrictions, thoughts?

WoofersInc

As far as I can tell those 2 will be your only options. I have both of them and shoot them suppressed. Both have worked well for me.
You do get some additional backpressure into the chamber from the suppressor which will help some with the cycling of the gun. My guns have run 100% with the suppressor and will have some failures when running without it. On the Sig there are 2 seperate recoil springs for use depending on what ammo you are using. Both guns will need some break in but after that should run fine for you. Most 22's are that way. They can all be ammo sensitive.

I think you will find though that once you get the suppressor you will start looking at other options and guns to suppress. These things are addicting.
There are a lot of options once you are willing to look into aftermarket barrels and such. It does open up quite a lot to you.
I currently have 8 different 22's that are set up for suppressor use. Granted some did require different barrels, but some only needed adaptors such as my GSG-5PK.

Technosavant

Thanks for the input.

I originally intended to just get a .22LR suppressor on my Rem. 597 VTR, but decided to pay the extra for a .223 one that could also go on my AR-15s. Then I learned that shooting .22LR through it could dirty it up faster, and boy that suppressed Walther at the shop felt nice and by the way I can't think of anything to tell the wife that I want for Christmas...

Well, I figure you can see where this is going. :D

Ive just seen some Buckmarks with barrels advertised as factory threaded. They even had flatside threading protectors that matched the barrel contour.

Technosavant

Interesting, I did not realize Browning made some Buckmarks with threaded bbls. I did some looking, and it was a special run called the "Buckmark Camper Whisper" prethreaded with a 1/2-28 thread. They made it for Lipsey's.

I'll have to have a chat with my local shop.

dynamite44

smith and wesson 422 and 622. basically the same gun.

the barrel is threaded from the factory, but there's a nut on there to hold it into the frame. removing that nut then replacing it with a threaded adapter sold on ebay, you can screw on a supressor. the neat part about that particular design is that you can put a decent sized can on it and still see the sights because the barrel is so low.

Hunley

I know this isn't what you asked for, but it is something you might want to seriously consider. There's a company in GA called Coastal Gun Inc. that makes integrally suppressed Ruger pistols. Or, you can get your own gun, and they can ship you the integrally suppressed barrel itself.

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.coastalgun.com/passport2.htm

I don't own one of these, but I have shot one. Even with CCI Stingers and other "hot" 22LR loads, it's pretty dang quiet.

Technosavant

There's a company in GA called Coastal Gun Inc. that makes integrally suppressed Ruger pistols.

The integrals look great if that's the only gun you'd be putting the can on, but like I said, I have a rifle that needs to wear it too.

If not for the NFA hoops, they'd be a lot more popular; as it is, flexibility is the name of the game.