Super Sniper Scopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moloch

Hi!

What can you tell me about the Super Sniper Scopes??
http://www.supersniper.com/
They are so bloody cheap but claim to be able to handle the force of a .50BMG rifle! (Maybe once? :D )
Is it even possible to make a decent scope that cheap? :confused:

I am currently looking for a good scope for paper punching at 200 for my .308 but I am hard on money and cant afford a leupold mark 4 etc. The Super Sniper 16x42 seems to be perfect but I am not sure about their quality and durability.

Thanks a lot!

Maximus856

My buddy has one on his LTR. I've put a good number of rounds down range with it and liked it a good bit. I haven't put enough down range to give it a full testimonial, however it had no problem hitting shotshells at the 100. Just my $0.02, and he absolutely loves it.

-Max

attila787

I don't have one, but I've heard nothing, but good things about them. If you hit the snipercentral forums you can find good info on them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

brmfan

"Trashco S/S glass is very poor."

Tasco never made the scope- in the past they bought and then resold them with their logo slapped on it. A Japanese company actually makes them, although there is some mystery as to which exact company it is. The Super Sniper brand is currently owned by SWFA and they have them produced to their own specs. They won't disclose the actual Japanese manufacturer citing proprietary constraints.

Anyway, I and others have used the 20X in 1000 yard F Class matches and for the price they are good scopes. The only time I had an issue with the glass was when it was VERY hazy or overcast. Otherwise, I could see the X ring just fine. The only real drawback was not being able to dial down the power when the mirage kicked up, and so I ended up replacing it with a variable power scope.

For 200 yard shooting you will be more than happy with a SS.

kimberclassic

Super Sniper is no longer put out by Tasco. They are now distributed solely by SWFA. I've used one for 600 and 1000 yd competition in MS (Rem700 .308 and Savage 12BVSS .308).

No, the glass isn't as good as you'd expect to find on one you've paid as much as much as your rifle for. But, for the money I really don't think you'll beat it.

SWFA/SS is now making a at least one variable power scope.

Jimro

The "mysterious" Japanese manufacturer for Super Sniper scopes is Hakko.

There are two Japanese optic firms that do a lot of base model work for other companies to rebrand. Hakko and Light Optic Works (L.O.W.)

Hakko does the Super Snipers and did the Colt Carry Handle AR-15 optic.

L.O.W. manufactures the Bushnell Elite series (or did last time I checked).

Moloch, stick with the 10x model. A 308 at 200 isn't going to stress the optical capacity of a quality 10x scope. Save the 16x for when you get a 300 Win Mag and want to push out there a long ways.

Jimro

Horseman

I had a 20xSS and quickly sold it. It had a yellowish hue I didn't like. More importantly it didn't focus down razor sharp like a good scope does. For the money I believe one can do better.

Bushnell elite 4200's or Nikon Monarch's are not much more money and a HUGE step up optically. Not quite as tacticool though if that's your thing.

Moloch

Wow, many different opinions!
From ''junk'' to ''beeing more than happy with it''. :eek:

Moloch, stick with the 10x model. A 308 at 200 isn't going to stress the optical capacity of a quality 10x scope. Save the 16x for when you get a 300 Win Mag and want to push out there a long ways.
I already gave that a thought, but I am currently using 18x for 100yds, it works great for aiming at very small benchrest targets (2'' big dots) and with 10x the crosshair covers them completely. I think 16x would be a good compromise I think.

I dont want a Bushnell, I had a 4200 elite and I had soooo many troubles with parallax, I just couldnt get that damn thing to work. My cheap bushnell banner 6-18x50 works great though.

Jimro

Moloch,

The 16x is going to be a bit dimmer than the 10x. If you want a really good target scope get a Weaver T series scope, they are only a little bit more than the Super Sniper and the glass is very good. They come with a 1/8 moa target dot center which will be much better for aiming at really tiny targets than a mildot reticle (you can do it, but you need to zero your load to impact on one corner of the cross hairs)

Seriously recommend the 24x40 Weaver http://swfa.com/Weaver-24x40-T-Series-Rifle-Scope-P2869.aspx

The Super Sniper is a great scope, but it really sounds like you are looking for target scope instead of a tactical scope.

Jimro

Jimro

Nice rifle did you get the stock with a sniper fill?

I figure my next "tactical" bolt rifle build will be 6.5x47 topped with a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50. I figure with the reduced recoil I'll be able to make it lighter than my usual 13+ lb rifle.

Jimro

Moloch

Thank you for your suggestion of the Weaver 24x-40, it would suit me well as a target scope, but I think I give up too much of field of view with a fixed 24x. A bit overkill in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with a tactical scope for benchrest target work, I think I would be happy with a illuminated reticle like this one in 14-16x40, the mil-dot also works if I ever move to longer ranges and it does not cover the target at all.
mp8b.gif

But I havent found a scope in my price range with the features mentioned above.

Moloch

Well, but I just shoot much better with higher x's, if it works for me.- :confused:

By the way, the scope would be mounted on my savage, as you can see I installed my bushnell banner 6-18x50 on it, nothing wrong
with it, but it actually belongs to my .22magnum rifle. :D

bas1.jpg

Jimro

Moloch,

Have you considered a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 mildot or Nikon Buckmaster -14 Mildot? Same price range as the Super Sniper.

If you don't mind bumping up to the 500~600 dollar range the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 or 6-24x50 with mildot reticle.

Jimro

Moloch

@ Jimro

I had problems with my Bushnell 4200 6-24x40, I just couldnt get parallax right even at 100, different people trying it out also failed to get it right.
On the other hand my Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 works very good, but it does not fit to a precision rifle.

That Nikon Buckmaster seems to be exactely what I am looking for! Not too expensive, perfect magnification 4.5-14x40, mildot.
A pity that it isnt illuminated, but it seems to be the best choice by far!:)

As to the rifle/scope pictured...did you lose a bet or something?!!?
Haha, I took that scope off from my .22wmr varmint rifle, I just dont have a scope for it right now! :eek:
But I shoot .65 groups with it with commercial 180 grain S&B FMJ!

Moloch

I cannot see small targets with 6x at 200, maybe its my eyesight, but I just cant.
The german snipers in WWI used a 3x fixed scope for shooting heads sticking out of the trenches at up to 500 yards.- http://www.azski.com/images/WWI_sniper.jpg

But I feel the most comfortable with 14-16 tough. I dont aim for heads-sized objects, my targets are 2''(100yds) - 4''(200yds) wide circles, and first of all I have to be able seem them!

Nikons are an utter joke.
Too bad, whats wrong with them?

noyes

A Tasco ( the older one's) will hold up on a .300win.mag. & 50bmg.

I had the inside glass break on a brand new Leupold , mounted on a 454 revolver after only 7 shots. Sold it do not trust the L.

noyes

Tasco on 454 lasted thosands of rounds

2 Tasco's

1 on 50
1 on 300

attachment.php

Attachments

• long 001.jpg
    long 001.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 1,055
Status
Not open for further replies.