Super Redhawk Decision... ?

n3twrkm4n

Hello again all, well after a long and tedious decision my second gun I have decided to be a Ruger Super Redhawk... but I am still unsure of which chambering to get the gun in. I was completely interested in the .480 or the .44 mag but I would like to hear people's experiences with both. The .454 isn't really my thing and from what I hear the sharp recoil isn't good for long term shooting. :eek:

Also what barrel length would you suggest? the 7.5 or the 9.5?

Thanks in advance!

-NM

dairycreek

Super Red Hawk is a superior choice.

The SRH is an excellent revolver with no equivocations at all. As to caliber and configuration; well that raises a whole bunch of questions. First question is how will the gun be used? Hunting? Plinking? Range Work? Do you reload?

I can't give you a real specific answer but let me give you some advice based on personal experience. I would opt for a 44 magnum in the 7.5" barrel. It is a caliber in which it is easy to find ammo, comes in a terrific number of variations, is accurate, can be used to hunt pretty much anything that walks in North America, is easy to shoot, easy to handle and so on. The SRH with the 9.5" barrel is noticeably larger and if you plan to carry it in the field is a real chunk. Having said that it will do anything and everything that the smaller SRH will do. Both are good choices.

BusGunner007

I will be purchasing a SRH .44 7.5" bbl. very soon.
'dairycreek' has a good answer, and I came to that conclusion after being all over the map on which SRH to buy for myself.

Go to RugerForum.com and do a search for the Super Redhawk or SRH and you'll see plenty of information, including my posts.

What I'm going to do with my SRH is have the stainless gun and rings 'blackened' for a unique look that better matches my other hunting guns.
I have the links in one of the posts for the place that does that and also for Garrett Cartridges, which specializes in .44 Mag. and .45-70 ammo ONLY.
Believe me when I tell you that with that ammo, you could hunt anything.
It's a very interesting and informative site.

I'll try to come back with the links here.
Good choice in a .44 revolver, by the way!

BusGunner007

Well, I'm back with the links.

Here's a TOY GUN that is the SRH with a black finish. It does show what the SRH looks like in a NOT SHINY finish. I hope you don't mind the foreign language surrounding the pictures!
http://www2t.biglobe.ne.jp/~ohige/tsuhan/tanaka/sturm_ruger_rv/red_h_44mag_75inch_ag.htm

Here's the ammo link. Look around. I learned a LOT here.
Be sure to look around in the links section for Bowen Hamilton's guns. Boy, are they beautiful. And the site has a lot of information about Rugers, too.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/default.asp

Now, the BLUEING for stainless. I can't wait to have a brand new, unfired gun done up like this. It will be extremely unusual and interesting to own. I won't fire the SRH until it has been refinished, so the metal will not have any contamination beyond the factory testing.
http://www.gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html

:D

BusGunner007

Well, I'm back with the links.

Here's a TOY GUN that is the SRH with a black finish. It does show what the SRH looks like in a NOT SHINY finish. I hope you don't mind the foreign language surrounding the pictures!
http://www2t.biglobe.ne.jp/~ohige/tsuhan/tanaka/sturm_ruger_rv/red_h_44mag_75inch_ag.htm
red_h_44mag_75inch_ag_03.jpg

Here's the ammo link. Look around. I learned a LOT here.
Be sure to look around in the links section for Bowen Hamilton's guns. Boy, are they beautiful. And the site has a lot of information about Rugers, too.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/default.asp

Now, the BLUEING for stainless. I can't wait to have a brand new, unfired gun done up like this. It will be extremely unusual and interesting to own. I won't fire the SRH until it has been refinished, so the metal will not have any contamination beyond the factory testing.
That's a blued stainless bbl.
http://www.gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html
Win_70_op_800x531.jpg

:D

n3twrkm4n

Thank you for your help.. The gun would be a hunting handgun first and a range gun second. I do a lot of target shooting (more so than hunting) but I'm a bigger guy at 6' 1" 230-240 lbs... so I can handle myself with the big loads and recoil without a doubt.

I mostly hunt white tail around here but with the possibility of going on a few hunts for feral pig. Hey ya never know right? :) I was spoiled early by a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag and loved the power of that load and I am just not all that aquainted nor want to be with all the synthetic and steel auto's out there.

Wheelgun's seem to hold the means to my motive.

tulsamal

I've owned a 9.5" SRH for quite a few years now. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range off a bench. It can do some amazing things out to 150 yards or so. (Leupold 2x scope attached.) My buddy had a 7.5" and I didn't like at as much from a bench. Made it less muzzle heavy which slightly increased recoil. Little more blast and a little less velocity. I don't usually like really long barrels on my handguns but the SRH is a huge monster either way! I don't really see the 7.5" as being that much better for carry in the field either since it is still to big for just about any belt holster. I carry my 9.5" in an Uncle Mike's chest holster so it really doesn't matter what the barrel length is.

I've got the .44 Magnum. I am interested in getting a .480 one of these days just because it would be fun to load a totally different caliber. I don't _think_ I want to get a full size in .454 but that Alaskan has gotten my attention. If I do get one of those "little snubbies" it will probably be in .454 so that I can use it mostly as a .45 Colt blaster.

Good to have lots of choices!

Gregg

n3twrkm4n

Thanks, I'm sure that I would not hip holster it either, especially just sitting out in the woods would be uncomfortable. I was looking at the 500 S&W snubby which is a nice gun at the gun dealer the other day. They say it doesn't kick very much but a box of ammo (12) goes for around 30$ here... It's an expensive habbit and I do have the ability to reload ammo which I guess might save some but it's just expensive right now while it's still 'new'.