Super Redhawk Alaskan -- First Impressions

Bongo Boy

I've had this one for several months now, and maybe 800-1,000 rds through it. I'm not attempting a review here, just wanted to share the experience. I bought this used off off gunbroker, as is my custom, and as has been my luck, it appeared unfired.

I think prior to taking it out for the first time, I managed to get the 'Super Redhawk Alaskan' off the barrel:

uCRgoX0.jpg

So, Mod #1 was strictly a cosmetic one. While 95% of my initial shooting was SA, I did a very little bit of DA. That will take a LOT more practice for me.

More recently I pulled out the guts and polished everything that appeared to need polishing. I used a 1200 diamond plate, and I must say the difference in the DA feel was remarkable. It now feels like a single, smooth pull in DA. Unfortunately, I have to go back in and look at what I did with the SA--it has a very minute take-up feel...not bad, but I think I may have left a flat spot.

Right after the trigger work, I decided it was a good time to remove the 'Read Instruction Manual' stuff off the other side of the barrel--this is apparently an older unit made before they moved this notice:

rPyTxu3.jpg

More recently, I pulled the hammer and trigger return springs and went with 12- and 10-lb springs, respectively. In 300 rds, there were no issues--the firing pin still puts a lunar crater in the primers exactly like it did before. I've since put a 9 lb hammer spring in, and it feels like it may allow me to get a little faster in DA. We'll see.

Overall, I absolutely love shooting this revolver. I wouldn't say I'm very good with it, getting 3" groups at 15 yds most of the time. Some of that may be due to the fact I usually have at least 3 different loads/bullets when I've gone to the range, and that, because I can rarely get to the range these days, I tend to shoot far more in one sitting than makes for good marksmanship. The eyes quickly get 'weird', and it seems my focus bounces away from the the front sight when they're tired. Hard to describe. My last range outing was 300 rds in the 2 hrs I had available, and that's just not a reasonable expectation for my old eyes--I have to do more rest intervals to get my eyes back.

Oh, I flushed $90 down the toilet by buying a beautiful set of Hogue pao ferro grips and, while they sure are pretty, the gun is all but impossible for me to hang on to with them, and even in armchair gun handling, they feel way too skinny in my hands. They now take up space in my desk drawer.

So far, loving the gun and look forward to more planned and managed range outings soon.

Last edited:

357 Terms

I love mine, I also tried wood grips, gave that up after a range trip of full house loads (44) ,it now wears the hogue Tamer grips that came with it.
Fun blaster! It gets people's attention at the range!

Bongo Boy

I'm thinking I probably need to work up at least a box of Longshot loads for those dusk range photos...the fireball should be impressive.

Bongo Boy

How did you get the wacky writing stuff off the barrel?

By hand using a little file called a diemaker's or die sinker's riffler. Very handy tools--if you haven't seen them, here's a link to an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Swiss-Pattern-Diesinker-Riffler/dp/B00F3IMKD4

They come in every imaginable shape, the one shown above isn't the shape I used, but I can't seem to get the phone to focus to take a pic. About 2 hours total, I'd say. For me, using a Dremel would likely be a disaster--I've found the stainless that handguns are made of to be about as soft as butter. I just didn't have the guts.

Last edited:

The Kingfish

Nothing more beautiful than a Ruger big bore snubbie. No other gun company makes one that even comes close. I love S&W too but their revolvers look like they have just enough steel to get by, Ruger's look like they give you twice as much steel as you'll ever need.
I have the Redhawk kodiak backpacker in .44 magnum and one day soon I'm going to add the Super Redhawk in 454 casull.

Last edited:

Bongo Boy

I'm with you on that...while I don't really find the gun too attractive, twice the meat in the cylinder and top strap has its own beauty about it. And when I light that thing up, I darn sure appreciate every ounce of it and a grip I can wrap both hands around. And for me, at my level of experience, the ubiquitous 44 Mag was definitely the Right Stuff. I find it affordable to load and shoot, bullets abound when I choose to buy 'em, and I can shoot a LOT before my arms and shoulders say 'enough'.

OTOH, I've tried carrying it every which way with two different holsters, and I'm doubting it will ever be remotely practical until I find a chest rig, or if I happen to be hiking where I really don't care if it's seen. What a monster. 'The tank you hold in your hand' applies to this one, I think.

Bongo Boy

...and I won't complain if she just wants to put on something impractical and sexy, even if we're not going out:

1aq6eKG.jpg

Last edited:

Bongo Boy

Oh my. I like fluteless--I know some folks don't, but they're my favorite. And, I didn't realize it was available in 454...jeeeez. I thought 480 Ruger was the only other caliber.

Now that I've cleaned mine up by removing all the minor little scuffs, etc., and it's more uniformly-satin, it does have an added appeal.

Bongo Boy

I'd be happy if they'd just stop stamping stuff into the guns and leaving the raised, upset metal in place, and drop the periods after the abbreviations and in the cartridge names. The weapon is chambered in 44 Rem Mag... not ".44 Magnum Cal."

I'd go for a 4" too...that would be very nice...so long as it's not a 1 1/4" barrel sticking out of the existing frame...that would look just a tad goofy.