Super Red Hawk 445 - experience?

dairycreek

I came across a NIB Ruger Red Hawk 445 the other day and like it a lot. Thiking about getting it. Anybody had any experience with this gun? Pros and cons welcome.

Bob C

Assuming you mean the .454, I've had one for four or five months, and have fired about 600 rounds. It's very accurate, but does require a lot of concentration to shoot because of the weight and the recoil.

Overall I'm very pleased with mine

dairycreek

I really did not mean the 454

The 445 is a Red Hawk with a 5.5 inch barrel in .44 magnum. I do appreciate your info on the 454 - maybe some time in the future. For now its the 5.5 inch 44 mag. I'm interested in knowing more about.

Bob C

Sorry!!! I'm not up on the model numbers ( obviously).

:eek:

Coincidentally, I bought a Redhawk 5 1/2" .44 mag from my son last month. I've only fired it 150 or so rounds, but so far I really like the balance and feel.

Too soon for me to tell first hand about the accuracy, but my son was getting very good results with it with H-110 and the heavier cast bullets.

Brasso

Don't feel too bad. Before I read this I was thinking he meant a .445 supermag and I just knew that Ruger didn't even make one in that caliber.

dairycreek

In truth the 5 1/2" barrel Red Hawk in 44 magnum is exactly the gun I would like to know more about. You say feel is good. How about perceived recoil? Expound if you wish, please.

Bob C

The felt recoil is less than a 629, or a Super Blackhawk, and about the same as a Bisley Blackhawk. I have large hands, and have added Pachmayr Presentation grips to mine.

They are relatively heavy, and are known to be very strong and durable.

With most Rugers, the triggers aren't particularly smooth when new, but they improve over time, and are also fairly easy to tune.

dairycreek

Thanks Bob C........

that is particularly good information. I have very, very large hands too so that's a good "heads up". Think I may just go to the gun shop. Many thanks!