Super Blackhawk Stocks

BikerRN

Howdy all.

I need suggestions for some stocks for a new model Ruger Super Blackhawk. I want something that covers the back of the grip frame as a 320 grain bullet at 1200 fps tends to sting a bit.

I'd prefer wood but all I can find is Pacmayer Decelerators. Anyone have any suggestions?

Biker

RichB69

I installed a Hogue grip and have fired the 320 grain double tap rounds and the grip helps absorb the recoil somewhat. The grip is not the best looking but whoes looking. I also put Hogue on my SP-101 and fired Rem 180 grain 357 mag. Nasty recoil but I would not want to be looking that in the face. Good luck with your SBH I love mine also has a great trigger.

Rich

Salmoneye

Dunno about wood, but Uncle Mikes used to make a hard rubber set that wrapped around front and back...Discontinued...

A NOS set on GunsAmerica currently...

bird_dog

Just put the Hogue Monogrip on mine. I like it a lot with my 300gr Meister bullet bear loads.

I'm not a fan of the Pachmyr Decelerator, as I always found that it dug into my hand. The Hogue seems to have the right blend of traction without turning it into something that aggressively bites into your flesh under heavy recoil.

Jim March

URGENT: there are two SBH grip frames.

If yours has a barrel of 5.5" or 4.68", you need grips for the "XR3-RED" grip frame, also known as the "standard Blackhawk" grip frame from 1966ish to present depending on model. It got squirrelly of late, so make sure you get one for a Blackhawk of the 1973-2000 or so era.

SBHs with barrels over 5.5" have the "oversize plowhandle" grip frame, with either the "Dragoon Squareback" triggerguard or the rounded triggerguard from the Hunter models. Same panels either way.

Technically, there's a third type: the Bisley Hunters are also marked "SuperBlackhawk" but have normal Ruger Bisley grip frames and panels. Sigh.

shooter1911

I bought a set of Hogue Monogrips for my Super Blackhawk many years ago, and they were always too big for my hand. I now use the Pachmayer Decelerators and they work much better for me. This was the exact same case with my S&W 629 Mountain gun. 300 grainers killed my hand with the Hogue grips.

As you can see from the comments above, it all depends on the size and shape of your hand with all grips. I love the look of wood grips, but I have always been afraid to try them on my 44s due to the heavy recoil and my short fingers. Buy from a reputable store like Cabeles, and if they don't work for you after shooting them, you can return them.

Daggitt

It's like shoes. They can look good or feel good-usually not both. I thought the Hogue tamer to be the uglist thing I've seen. Finally used one and it's very functional. Handles heavy recoil much better than wood does.