Super Blackhawk or Super Redhawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplane

The super redhawk comes with scope rings . I don't use a scope on mine , but it would be simple to put one on since it did come stock with the rings. Plus the swing out cylinder is much easier to reload than the Black Hawk's one at a time ejection rod. I like the Black Hawk too, but the Super Red Hawk is a cut above, IMO.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
Super Blackhawk: Lighter, less bulky, harder to 'scope. Slightly slower to load/reload. Single action only (makes no difference in a hunting gun.) Cheaper. Simpler and perhaps slightly more robust mechanically. Easier to get a better trigger action.
Super Redhawk: Readily 'scopeable. Double action (no advantage in a hunting gun.) Heavier and bulkier. More expensive.
Both: Available in stainless. About the same in intrinsic strength.
If you want a 'scoped pistol, the best choice would probably be the SRH. My choice is the SBH, for its combination of strength and smaller overall size and bulk.

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Henry Bowman

Greetings from Anchorge, the Redhawk is also available with rings and IMO the DA Rugers are more accurate than the SA cowboy clones. Slabsides, here in AK double action does make a difference. Bears ya know..henry

WESHOOT2

5.5" stainless 45 Colt REDHAWK....unless you intend scoping, then get the SuperRedhawk.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
When fired single-action, any double-action has the faster lock time. Thus, less chance to move off-target during the hammer's travel time.

The heavier gun is more controllable for a rapid second shot, if needed--and the double action is probably faster, also, in a hunting situation (grip, stance, etc.)

FWIW, Art

Redleg

All mechanical and functional differences having already been noted I'll comment on physical appearances. The SBH is a beautiful gun, reminiscent of the wild west when big revolvers ruled. The SRH, on the other hand, looks like a snubnose .38 with a big barrel crammed in the end of it! Now, the regular Redhawk, IMO, is much better looking than it's big brother but still doesn't capture my heart like the SBH. I like it's single ejection rod, which makes using it fun (as if a .44 wasn't enough fun already!)

------------------
Matthew J. Giegler
US Army
Fort Irwin, California

"GUN CONTROL MEANS USING BOTH HANDS!"
I am not afraid to attach my name to my beliefs!

Steve Smith

Having owned a Redhawk, and shot many Super Blackhawks, I know what I'd do. I'd find a Super Blackhawk in my caliber choice (.45 Colt for me, but you might choose the .44 Mag) and get the Bisley grip frame and attach the two. That way, I'd have the best recoil control (Bisley grip frame), the sweetest trigger (Blackhawk design) and a light-weight powerhouse (again, Blackhawk design--lighter weight). I'd probably get a 5" barrel if possible, or have one cut for me. My reason for not getting the Redhawk? (1) weight (2) The Super Blackhawk is just plain cooler.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
Henry: You are talking about a defense gun (bears, you know.) I was talking about a hunting gun. Now, if you want to HUNT griz with a pistol...don't expect me to play.
Reiterating: As a HUNTING sidearm, unless you really want to 'scope the pistol (an abomination on a revolver, in my view) I firmly maintain you'll be better off with the SBH.
For defense against big bears, I'd want a rifle. But I can see the advantage of a DA if you are lying under 600 lbs of Ursus Horribilis and one of your arms is choon off.

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

dairycreek

Super Redhawk for hunting. If in 454 Cassul nough said. If in 44 magnum look at the Garrett cartridge site for real hunting ammo for that round. Really hot and really effective.

355sigfan

Single actions are 6 times as slow to load as a da wheelgun. Personally as long as I was hunting non dangerious game the blackhawk would be fine. But if the critter bites back like bear give me a double action. Its hard to thumb cock a single action as a bear is eating you.
PAT

rock_jock

I just bought a SRH in .44 mag last week for hunting. With its 9.5" barrel, it has a lot of weight, and this translates into a dampened recoil. I am having a trigger job done on it as the factory offering leaves much to be desired. I haven't fired a SBH at all, and this is the only .44 mag I have exeperience with, so my advice is limited. I do know that I like the choice I made. I specifically rejected the SBH because I like the modern look of the SRH.

animal

I've owned both in .44 mag.
IMHO : I like the Redhawk for shooting and the Blackhawk for looking pretty. Anyway, I still own the Redhawk ... maybe that says something, maybe not. Your preferences may be different.

tonyz

For me the Redhawk KRH-455 45 Colt 7-1/2 barrel.

An exellent all around gun and a great one for hunting. In stainless steal of course.

ZeusOne

The Super Redhawk is the mechanically more sensible platform for a scope, and load/unload at the range is allot easier, etc. I own one and love it - no regrets - but I've named it "BUMF" (Big, Ugly, MF).

I'd choose a Blackhawk, or a regular Redhawk for sheer eye appeal any day of the week.

The gentlemen who bought both had the right idea. I wouldn't mind having all three..........

aerod1

smitty,
A few years back I was faced with the same predicament. I just got one of each. A 10&1/2" SBH and a 9&1/2" SRH.
Both are fantastic!

Jim Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.