Super 90 for skeet?

hickok45

I have a 20-year-old Super 90 with the standard short barrel. Been meaning to get the longer barrel for it, one with screw-in choke capability. Anybody do any skeet or trap shooting with one of these? Or bird hunting?

Mine is "evil black," of course, but I have changed out the pistol grip stock (nice when you're actually shooting, but makes it less handy, I think) to a straight one, so it could actually pose as an almost politically correct shotgun with the longer barrel. I could even paint it pink and really be PC, and in keeping with what Rush calls the "Chickification" of America.

Anyway, does anybody use this gun for politically correct sporting events: clays, bird hunting, etc. I know these longer barrels for this gun that are threaded for screw-in chokes were pretty pricey the last time I looked into it.

It would be more effective for trimming those higher limbs on my trees, too, which is actually a selling point for me. :)

goodspeed(TPF)

I always use my evil black M1 Super90 for trap and duck/goose/squirrel. Pistol grip, screw in choke tubes, Ghost Ring and all. Always. :D

attachment.php

Last edited:

BigJimP

No, I don't use a super 90 for Skeet, Trap, Sportinng Clays or hunting - but nobody cares if you shoot a "black gun" for any of the clay target games or hunting .....

The question is whether you could reach your potential with a Super 90 at any of these pastimes - and the answer is probably no.... a longer barrel and screw in chokes isn't politically correct - they will increase your potential to perform up to your potential.

Everybody has budgets - but most of us don't consider a few hundred or a few thousand dollars invested in better equipment to be an issue in one of our major pastimes ( same in fishing, hunting, golf, skiing, cycling, etc ...).

A longer barrel and screw in chokes would be a good investment - or even another shotgun for hunting or clays - in my opinion but do what you want. The only issue with short barrels in in Trap - where another shooter is standing to your left or right about 6 feet away - and the muzzle blast from a short barrel, to the guys standing beside you, is obnoxious at best - and it would be rude of anyone to expect to shoot a short barrel gun in Trap wiht guys standing next to you - so get on a squad with some separation or at least ask if anyone minds ...and don't be offended if they say you can't shoot Trap ( but Skeet, Sporting Clays should not be an issue - because guys can step back a little and get away from the blast ..).

Paint it pink if you want - but be careful, some 'girl' may come out there and whip your butt ..... by shooting 100 straight .....with a 12 ga. We have some very capable women in the Armed Forces too ...... have a good 4th .....

zippy13

I'm with BigJimP on this one. I've never tried (or considered) a Super 90 for targets. The first thing I noticed (in goodspeed(TPF)'s pic) is the monster receiver mounted sight. That contraption would probably block my view and prevent me from acquiring targets and seeing my leads on crossing skeet targets.

I have changed out the pistol grip stock (nice when you're actually shooting, but makes it less handy, I think) to a straight one
You're a little confused with your stock nomenclature. A grip stock, or pistol grip stock, is a common butt stock with a grip area as opposed to a classic "English" straight stock. These days, with the plastic stock crowd, what's often called a pistol grip stock, should really be called a detached or full pistol grip:
stocktypesrf3.gif

greyson97

broken record time! I have the m4, which is the farthest shotgun from hunting and sporting. but it came with a threaded barrel. I got a 6 inch barrel extender and an improved mod choke. I hit clay just fine. i never shot a standard shotgun so the pistol grip and the ghost ring sights didnt feel weird to me, but all my traditional friends thought it was weird. but as long as you have fun, screw them.

sholling

20 years ago I showed up at the club's trap range with a shiny new black M1 S90. All of the old timers with their high-buck O/Us laughed and made Rambo cracks. By the end of the day those same old timers were all scrambling for a closer look because me and my Benelli kicked some serious booty that afternoon. That was the last time that I got any guff at the club. ;)

hickok45

Oh, I have a nice Browning O/U Special Sporting Clays 12 gauge; I was just thinking it might be cool to get the longer barrel and shoot the Super 90 at clays sometime. I don't do it but about once a year, and was actually wondering if I need to really hang on to the Browning when I almost never go clay pigeon hunting.

dalecooper51

Not an M1, but I shoot skeet with an older HK imported Benelli Black Eagle on a regular basis. Being a pretty light gun, I put a bit of weight on the magazine cap to smooth it out a little bit. Get the longer barrel and go ahead and shoot it, it will be fine. If you are going shoot trap, get a shell catcher for it.