Summit City Bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

markr6754

So...I ordered my first Hi-Tek coated lead from Summit City Bullets - 124gr RN. High praise from 76 Highboy Reloading on the tube, so I gave it a go. I have always loaded and shot jacketed or plated, and recently, Frangible. Neve lead, powder coated lead or Hi-Tek coated lead.

First impressions...well, that sucks.

First, I have never had to expand 9mm cases that much. I actually ran out of room with my Lyman expander die, which is a stepped expander. I had to resize all of them again using my Hornady dies after shaving the first three bullets.

Second, they weren't inexpensive, they were just "available". At 13.6c each I could easily order jacket OR plated, and just wait on delivery. In fact, Everglades ammo has 9mm and 380 ACP in stock, so I placed a new order.

Third, after seating to 1.075" (shortest ever for me in a RN bullet, they only plunk in one barrel...my Kimber Micro 9. They pass my Lyman ammo checker, but not my Lyman or my Shooter's Box ammo gauges. I was convinced that my Honor Guard proof barrel wouldn't plunk...it's very tight...but I thought my Hellcat would...alas, no. My Beretta eats anything, so I didn't even try it, but I will before shooting, as well as my G2C.

Fourth, they are quite lumpy...I thought that these bullets were swaged or resized after coating, but if they are, it's not an effective process. Though I'm exaggerating a bit, the texture is more like a Chicken Nugget, smooth, but uneven.

I only loaded 50 rounds over 700-X. I didn't bother with a ladder as these are not loaded to max, and my experience with 700-X is that it tends to run soft, but thermally hot.

Anyone else with coated experience have any feedback?

Sarge

None of that is good news and I'm sorry to hear it. The best coated bullets I've used have been Bear Creek. They have shot as well as my best cast loads in multiple guns/several calibers.

That does suck, but I am surprised a bullet just half a thousandth over normal cast bullet size would cause that much grief. It's just not significantly off what they should be. What did you make the measurement with? I always use a thimble micrometer with a 0.0001 resolution for bullet measurements. Calipers are too easy to throw off.

Being shorted 1000 is unacceptable and I would be on them about that.

You could get a Lee bullet sizing die to push them through with a little light mineral oil as a lube. But you shouldn't have to.

Shadow9mm

I am probably going to regret this, but have been looking into brazos bullets, I orderd a sample pack of around 200, should be at .356. supposed to be 5 cents each before shipping and tax, hi-tek coated. You can also order it sized to .355 for no extra fee. they are back orderd, but projecting a 2-4 week ship time. I will post when I get them with a sample of weights and measurements.

markr6754

I contacted the owner. Didn’t try to make any excuses. Said they’ve been slammed, but he’ll make it right. I’ve picked up some tips from coated lead shooters, so apparently the bullets are fine, but one does have to flare cases more than a similar sized copper plated case. The copper will accept some amount of under-expansion, while hi-tek or powder coat will shave.

I’m going to quit knocking these until I’ve shot a few, then chime back in. The high cost was what threw me...I’d forgotten I ordered 2000 of them, so was kicking myself for putting myself through so much grief for a bullet that cost more than I could buy jacketed rounds. Someone challenged me on my 13.6c each as the web site shows $35 for 500. Paying 6.8c each will make me feel a lot better.

Rod47

Surprised you would have a problem with your Lyman expander. Mine will overflare a casing so much it won't start in the seating die if incorrectly adjusted.

markr6754

Surprised you would have a problem with your Lyman expander. Mine will overflare a casing so much it won't start in the seating die if incorrectly adjusted.
Based on your statement I went back to try my Lyman expander again. I can get one more turn, then it's on its last thread in the lock ring. That took me to .385" at the extreme outside edge of the case, .3565" measured just inside the case mouth.

If I am careful with the Summit City bullet I can just get it to fit inside the case...maybe even enough to seat it without shaving the coating. If I play a bit more I may get another .0005" expansion, but clearly, I'm at the absolute limit on that Lyman expansion die. I haven't tried the Hornady to see what the maximum expansion I can get from it. It's sufficient to know the bullet fits easily inside the case mouth.

Either way, this means these bullets are single stage only...which is good as my 3 presses are variations of single stage. Hornady LNL, Lyman All American 8 Turret, Frankford Arsenal M-Press.

markr6754

Lumpy, Bumpy Freedom Seeds

By the way...the old "picture is worth a thousand words"

Attachments

• SummitCity 124gr 9mm.jpg
    SummitCity 124gr 9mm.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 57

Hammerhead

I had trouble with the Lyman 'M' expander die and some coated bullets.

The shoulder it creates in the case mouth for the bullet base to rest on has a fairly sharp edge to it, and it was scraping some coated bullets no matter what else I did.

I swapped to a Lee 9mm expander, problem solved.

Also no problems with a Dillon expander.

The M dies are great for jacketed and plain cast.

markr6754

The proprietor of Summit City bullets is quite angry that I posted on a forum about his product. The good thing about that is that he's passionate about his product. The bad thing about that is his passion is leading in a quite inappropriate direction. My intent was to get advice and counsel on my reloading challenges, not to stir up ire and animosity in a 2A product provider.

If the moderator will close out this thread to stop any further messaging, I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.