Summer Pocket Handgun

I've come to notice a situation sometimes encountered and welcome dialog from those with more experience. In my case, I sometimes wear a particular pair of pants but the pockets are quite small. My S&W J-frame flops it's grip out of the pocket and that has been seen by some people. Not good if intended to be concealed. Therefore, I did buy a Diamondback 380acp because that fits pretty well in a small pocket. While my limited experience with the pistol has been mostly good, I did notice a couple times it did not readily chamber as expected when pulling the slide back to strip off a round. Might be my own fault. Maybe I was too weak pulling it back and letting it fly.
But this gives me cause to wonder and post the question to you guys that have been there and done that. I basically bought a small pistol to conceal within very light pants and shorts when the weather is hot. Maybe not a good idea if the pistol is not 100% trustworthy when needed? Could be better to eliminate clothing that lacks the capacity to at least hide a J-frame?
Meaning dump all the light summer shorts & pants in favor of tactical carry clothing? I fear some of the vests and cargo shorts that cry out: "I'm Carrying". As a side note, I did do some limited searching for shirts and pants that conceal a handgun quite well. Have not bought anything yet. Perhaps you guys can steer me the right way.

C0untZer0

The DB9 doesn't have a slide release does it, I just looked at some images of it on Google...

Instead of going through summer all hot and uncomfortable, I'd practice racking the slide and before you go out with it, concentrate on doing a good slide release and check it.

Once the round is chambered there's no reliability problems are there?

C0untZer0

BTW I think Glock screwed up by not making one of these things themselves - the DB9 looks so much like a Glock its like DiamondBack just shrunk a picture of the old Gen 1 Glocks and renamed it DB9.

It is true that the Diamond Back 380 has fired reliably at the range and has better accuracy than expected. I load the Remington 102 grain Golden Saber for carry but have shot two other brands reliably. My trouble is stripping off that first round. I strongly suspect it's just a dumb flaw with my own pull on the slide. It is a bit stout and slippery. I may not be forceful enough. Therefore, I have decided to chamber a round before carry instead of pulling the handgun, then trying to chamber a round, then getting a jam, then being a victim. I do think there is a strong case for these pocket pistols especially in summer clothing. My 357 Mag J-frame does droop the light shorts while the DB380 seems to go not so obvious. Do I think a 380ACP is such a great hot round? No I don't, but sometimes the little bugger is about the best defense you might have if needed and odds are it will perform good enough when you lack the clothing to conceal a larger firearm. If interested, what do I carry when heavier clothing and jackets are right? A 45ACP, Glock model 22 in 40 S&W, CZ P-01 in 9mm, S&W 686 in 357Mag, and S&W model 29 in 44 Mag.

trex1310

For God's sake don't buy any "tactical" clothing. You might as well hang a
sign around your neck. Don't you carry with a round in the chamber?

Kreyzhorse

I did notice a couple times it did not readily chamber as expected when pulling the slide back to strip off a round.

How does the gun function? Is it reliable at the range? Is the only problem when you are chambering the round? Are you carrying with one in the chamber?

From what you've stated, I'm not sure I'd abandon the gun and clothing just yet. If the gun is reliable at the range the problem might just be you. If you haven't fired it enough to know, go to the range and work some rounds through it. If it's reliable there, your problem is solved by finding a good pocket holster that covers the trigger and carry with one in the chamber.

youngunz4life

was this only happening with the last round, or did it just happen whenever?

Do I think a 380ACP is such a great hot round? No I don't, but sometimes the little bugger is about the best defense you might have if needed and odds are it will perform good enough when you lack the clothing to conceal a larger firearm.

I also agree with this statement. I have a 38 derringer and it definately has it's purpose. I almost went with the seacamp 380 but I just couldn't deal with the money. There is nothing wrong with a belly gun.

smince

Bad guys are no different in summer or winter.

I carry a Glock 19 or 26 year round with no problems concealing either in shorts and t-shirt :eek:

I don't pocket carry for various reasons and I won't go with anything smaller than a G26.

Last edited:

Chainman

My Ruger LCP .380 is my summer carry.

I've never had a FTF or any other jamming issue shooting any ammo, but the pistol itself always seems "stiff" when manually racking the slide stripping off the first round.

Simple fix...I carry with one in the pipe at all times and have complete faith in its performance during fire driven cycling. With the heavy trigger and a good pocket holster I have no worries about a negligent discharge.

firespec35

Can you have a seamstress extend your pockets? I'm about as big as they get and I still make sure my pants are loose and the pockets are big enough. I carry a kt P32 when I can't carry my 9

TenRing

Did your J frame have oversized grips and were you using a pocket holster? The gun should not flop at all when pocket carried. It should stay in the same place for a repeatable draw. Try the Uncle Mike's Boot Grip or similar low profile grips. Also check out the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

If tight pants are your style, that would limit your ability to conceal any handgun. Many people who conceal pistols tend to wear their pants one size large to provide extra gun room.

If I were you, I would go back to the J frame revolver with a pocket holster and visit www.smartcarry.com for a good deep concealment option.

It is important to dress for the gun.

10-96

Not the end of the world. Try a slightly over sized Hawaiian flowerdy shirt or fishing shirt, tell everybody you went on a Jimmy Buffet kick, and go with a quality IWB or OWB holster. Conceals well, carries well, and you wouldn't believe how light some of those new fishing shirts are. An upside is you get at least two more pockets to carry a phone, smokes, snuff, or whatever you want.

Yes, sometimes making the committment to carry makes a sacrifice and a change is warranted. I often recommend folks make a trip to a mall or other crowded place, grab a cold drink and a bench and people watch. Look at what folks are wearing and ask yourself if you could adopt any part of this or that style and still carry. There is a solution, somewhere or somehow there is a solution. Good luck.

TylerD45ACP

Beretta 84FS when I finally get one. Or a S&W 3913. I kno they are not true pocket guns but I would never carry in a pocket. I would makeshift IWB between pants and belt 1st. However I would IWB the 84FS. Its really small even with 13 +1 rounds. Id carry an extra mag or 2 one with FMJ 95gr ball. The other 2 60-65gr. Gold Dots 1 mag +p possibly. BUFFALO BORE 100gr. +P are some hard hitting 380's one mag would have those.

Last edited:

orionengnr

My trouble is stripping off that first round.
I hate to read between the lines, but it sounds as if you are carrying chamber empty, and relying on your ability to chamber a round after presenting. Carrying chamber empty is, IMHO, a very foolish practice, and I hope I am mis-reading your post.

If you have the chamber loaded, you can carry it every day for the rest of your life without having to "strip off that first round".

BillCA

A few points to make...

I have found it just as easy and comfortable to carry my J-frame or S&W 3914 in an IWB holster during the summer. The trick is to get a good holster with a sweat shield. This not only saves the gun, it saves your hide from being chaffed by things like hammers and safeties.

A pocket gun's grips should be small and tightly fitted to the frame for maximum concealment. Though it's hard to see in this photo due to the shadow, the grips stop at the bottom of the grip-frame. Even still, in some of my jeans this small revolver may peak out. That's why I prefer IWB carry.

SW432PDhand.jpg

Another option is a product like Thunderwear. While it looks something like a jockstrap, it can be comfortable and easy to wear. A square-cut untucked shirt covering your waistline helps conceal any straps that peek over the belt line (if your pants slide down a bit).

Re: Your DB9 and chambering problem.

First, field strip, clean and re-lubricate the gun. Use a good quality gun grease to lubricate the slide rails and the slide grooves. A very thin layer is all that is required. Use the same grease sparingly in slide's locking lug grooves. Work it several times to spread the grease and remove any excess. I'm fond of Tetra grease for this, but use whatever your favorite brand is. The lubrication may help ease the chambering problem.

Don't forget to lubricate the extractor. Use a light oil or Dexron ATF transmission fluid to lubricate the pivot and spring so it moves freely.

Caution on chambering ammo...
If you repeatedly chamber the same round on a daily basis, you've probably encountered the problem of setback. This is when a bullet "collapses" into the case after chambering. This can lead to excessive pressures when fired, a damaged gun or a KaBoom of the gun.

Most commerical ammo makers apply a mild sealant around the case mouth on semi-auto cartridges. This helps keep out moisture for reliability and the sealant helps the case "grip" the bullet firmly. Unlike a revolver's "roll crimp" where the front edge of the case is tapered against the bullet, in pistol cartridges, the sides of the case are squeezed against the bullet to maintain it's position. This means impacts to the nose of the bullet can cause it to "set back" into the brass case.

According to sources I've talked to in the ammo industry, the sealant is tough enough to take about 3 or maybe 4 chamberings before the bullet will set-back. If you've been able to do it more than that with some brand(s) then you've been lucky. Rotate that ammo and after 3 chamberings, set it aside for range use only.

If you have been carrying your DB9 with an empty chamber, you probably need more range time to become comfortable with the gun and it's safety system. Consider what will happen if you need your firearm at the same time your off-hand is occupied -- say pulling your wife or child behind you.

Bulldawg55

If I have to resort to pocket carry it's one of these in a pocket holster.:D
P1100679-1.jpg

Usually it's not a problem to carry one of these IWB.;)
IMG_0671-1.jpg

dreamweaver

sig P238 in back pocket holster.
if you have a back pocket, you can conceal this rig.
the picture is bigger than the actual rig.

dsc0040q.jpg

bossman

The solution seems simple to me: You don't have to "tacticalize" your attire, just buy pants with bigger pockets.

The first thing done when buying pants is check the pockets to see if they will be big enough for my j-frame. Not hard at all.:)