summer ccw.... recommendations?

dave421

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to get next. I've always used larger handguns and never paid much attention to the small stuff out there. I've recently picked up a XD40 Subcompact and I'm very happy with it but I'd like something a bit smaller (primarily thinner) for summer ccw. I've been looking primarily at Kahr and Bersa. I like the size and feel of the Bersa but I'd prefer something larger than .380 and I can't find any of the Thunder 9s around here. Is there anything that you have experience with that you recommend I check out? I want 9 at the smallest, semiauto (don't care for wheelguns), and smaller than my XD (without going to a Kel-tec). Any advice?

Pointer

S&W Lightweight Bodyguard .38 Special with 135 grain Gold Dot HP's...

Fits in your front pocket holster... :)

dave421

ok, I don't want a keltec as they're too small and I don't care for revolvers.

The P7m8 is that grip cocker, right? The one that everyone loves but costs $$? I'm looking more in the $5-650-ish range. Although if I could find a good deal on one, I'd definitely consider it since I've seen so many good reviews on them.

MASTERSMITH86

I like the Kahr(s). Good well designed firearms. I also like one of my G&#*ks in sub-compact but, I don't want to start another battle royale. I fully intend to purchase a Para-Ordnance Lite Hawg but, that would blow your budget. An XD sub compact would be nice as well. I would think that all those would work.

orionengnr

HK P7 (PSP/M8/M13) is a great duty weapon.

You can find a P7 PSP (earlier model, biggest change is the mag release position) for ~ $650, but it is not smaller/lighter than your XD. It is a great pistol but all steel, and (sorry about this, I have owned half a dozen P7s including two M10s) better suited as a range gun, home defense pistol or winter CCW.

They are fairly rare, fairly valuable, and I would/do not carry mine. They are also somewhat ammo-sensitive. Any exposed-lead (at the base of the bullet) will vaporize and foul the gas piston mechanism...yes, I've had it happen enough/too many times. Most factory loads do not have this problem...but don't buy ammo in quantity until you figure out which "does" and which "doesn't" :(

I have sold all of my P7s :( in favor of more viable/reliable weaponry (flame suit on).

Now for a summer CCW, my choice is a Kahr PM9. About 14 oz, 9mm 6+1, mine has digested lots of standard pressure plus limited amounts of +p+ flawlessly. And it is a true pocket pistol.

Second choice is an Airweight S&W, perhaps a 642. This one is 15 oz, but 5+0 of .38+p.

dave421

ok you people aren't helping any!!! Master, don't worry about a war, I'm not a Glock guy but I don't think they're bad. I just want something smaller than my XD. I guess I need to find somewhere that rents Kahrs out. I've not been able to find anywhere yet. I was hoping for something that I can shoot first but I guess I can always resale it if it ends up being something I can't stand. I guess there's just not much out that's small that people use outside of Kahr, Bersa, & Kel-tec. Oh well. Thanks guys!

1911austin

HK P7 (PSP/M8/M13) is a great duty weapon.

You can find a P7 PSP (earlier model, biggest change is the mag release position) for ~ $650, but it is not smaller/lighter than your XD. It is a great pistol but all steel, and (sorry about this, I have owned half a dozen P7s including two M10s) better suited as a range gun, home defense pistol or winter CCW.

They are fairly rare, fairly valuable, and I would/do not carry mine. They are also somewhat ammo-sensetive...

I have sold all of them in favor of more viable/reliable weaponry (flame suit on).

Now for a summer CCW, my choice is a Kahr PM9. About 14 oz, 9mm 6+1, mine has digested lots of standard pressure plus limited amounts of +p+ flawlessly.

Second choice is an Airweight S&W, perhaps a 642. This one is 15 oz, but 5+0 of .38+p.

I find the P7M8 is thinner than the XD and is easier to CCW IWB. It does not make a good pocket gun. I don't doubt that you had experience with yours being ammo-sensitive. Most people, however, report their P7s to be utterly reliable.

RevJim

Kahr

I live in East Texas, so our winters are pretty short and our summers are pretty long. So my "summer" gun will probably be a year-round gun! I recently purchased a Kahr MK40 and I love it. It is small and easy to conceal. I wore it most of the day today under a sweatshirt. Last night I wore it to the mall with a flannel shirt tucked in. On Monday night I wore it with a long-sleeve T-shirt untucked. With the extended magazine, it is too tall to carry in my pocket. But with the short magazine, I could carry it in my pocket. But the MK is a little heavy (steel frame). The polymer frame pistols would be light enough to carry in your pocket.

That being said, I sometimes carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT. It has been reliable and it is really easy to carry. I can carry it in the pocket of whatever pants or shorts I wear.

That's just my own personal experience!

Jim

MASTERSMITH86

When we went to the beach this past summer I took four pistols. My Glock 17 because I wear a lot of t-shirts with open button up shirts over them. My wifes Glock19... stays in her purse and she and her pistol are joined at the hip, and my little P3AT. I kept it in my shorts pocket when wearing a T-Shirt and on the drive over and kept the 17 in the console. I did take my ppk just in case we went somewhere formal but, it never made it out of the lock box. Had I had a Kahr at the time, I wouldn't have taken the ppk at all and probably wouldn't have carried my 17 that much but, i didn't. You can bet I'll have it this summer though.

dave421

Ok, I'm definitely planning on trying to find a Kahr to shoot somewhere around here. I've also been looking online for others that seem like they'd work that I'm not familiar with. Anyone know anything about:
Smith and Wesson 3913TSW
EAA Witness-Tangfolio
CZ - isn't there a single stack CZ? Can't find it but could swear I've heard of it.

Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows anything about them. I've never liked any S&Ws but who knows and don't have any experience with the others. Thanks again everyone.

Kahr MK40

attachment.php

dave421

*I* hated the millenium pro. Took a look at them when I was shopping for my XD. Didn't feel right and didn't like the trigger. Buddy got one a couple months ago and tried it again to see if my opinion changed and it hadn't. Thanks for the suggestion though.

MASTERSMITH86

Tangfolio: Lots of chamberings, shot one in .38 super for about 100 rds., wasn't overly impressed but, it seemed servicable

3913 TSW: Haven't actually shot one but, it seems interesting. It has a little rail on it but what you would put on it, I haven't the foggiest. Probably better priced than the Kahr but, out of general experience with S&W semi's they are very good pistols but for CCW I would still pick the Kahr over this S&W. However, I havn't shot this particular model S&W so I could be wrong.