Suitcase nukes: Fact or fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSlash27

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Suitcase_nukes_said_unlikely_to_exi_11102007.html

I've been studying up this past month on nuclear warheads (mainly from a survival point of view) and came to the realization that the physics simply don't work out to support the notion of a "suitcase nuke".
Exhibit A: The DoD Nuclear Effects Handbook
Notice that there are 3 materials capable of "supercriticality" (capable of fission from low energy neutrons) and that none of them are capable of achieving it at normal densities. They must be compressed IAW 1.48.
This is because the neutron flux isn't linearly proportional to mass. Which gives rise to the problem; there must be a minimum mass of fissionable material capable of achieving supercriticality.
And according to the same source, a 100% efficient reaction of 2 ounces of material generates roughly 1 kT.
Unless my math is off (and I'm certainly no nuclear physicist) this has to be somewhere in the neighborhood of the smallest possible yield.

Turns out the early Ranger test and later Buster tests were looking for this floor.
http://www.radiochemistry.org/history/nuke_tests/ranger/index.html
http://www.radiochemistry.org/history/nuke_tests/buster_jangle/index.html
and it's right on the money. 1kT. The one attempt to generate less fizzled.

The upshot of all this: A "suitcase" nuke *should* not be technically feasible. Simply too much explosive would be required to achieve supercriticality. By the time you got enough explosives around it, it'd weigh as much as a bus.

That is not to say that man-portable warheads (in the low hundreds of pounds) could not be produced. In fact, they have.
There's an area in which combining Neutron reflectors (tampers) and central neutron emitters (initiators) can make a larger chunk easier to detonate with less explosives.
But even that scale was incredibly difficult for the superpowers. Couldn't be a cake-walk for the folks we're concerned about, and truthfully it wouldn't make sense for them to try.
A large Uranium gun weapon (little boy) is easily done, portable by truck or container, and has a much bigger bang.

There is a definite threat of dirty bombs at this scale or a nuclear truck bomb, but a suitcase nuke appears to be about as feasible as a bridge made of Jell-o.

Is this just another attempt at hyperbole? Is the "suitcase nuke" the "cop-killer bullet" of the new millenium?

Don H

As I recall, the U.S. Army field-tested a 155mm nuclear howitzer shell and, I believe, there was some development on a 105mm version. It would seem that the innards to these projectiles would handily fit into a suitcase, although weight may be an issue.

spctim11

I am not at liberty to discuss this matter openly like this.
Just kidding. I would think that it just wouldn't be as big as what was dropped on Japan but is possible.
WHat about the movie where the kid took the plutonium or whatever and replaced it with dish soap and molded it into a soccer ball or something

Fact. They were not exactly easy to haul around, but they were man-portable. On top of that, I'm sure the technology has improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7z6jqBlQhY

edit:
One caveat, though. Only the US, Russia, China, France, England, and Israel would have any hope of making one today. India and Pakistan are today where we were in 1948. They can barely shrink their warheads enough to get them to the battlefield with aircraft and large missiles at this point. Iran is probably 30 years+ away from a man-portable nuclear device and North Korea will never be able to do it with their current, crippling lack of money.

madmag

The upshot of all this: A "suitcase" nuke *should* not be technically feasible. Simply too much explosive would be required to achieve supercriticality. By the time you got enough explosives around it, it'd weigh as much as a bus.

Not correct. I don't want to sound too secretive either, but I can tell you that small tactical war heads that can be carried by at least two men in a large type suitcase are indeed possible. In fact, if the people carrying are whiling not to worry about shielding, then the weight goes way down. Depending on material used the critical mass is very small. Then you have to have detonation mechanism, and shielding (if necessary). The unfortunate part is that most of the fundamental facts are available to about any physics student in the world. The only hard part is getting the refined material. I wish it were otherwise.

As I recall, the U.S. Army field-tested a 155mm nuclear howitzer shell and, I believe, there was some development on a 105mm version. It would seem that the innards to these projectiles would handily fit into a suitcase, although weight may be an issue.

Definitely down to 8" howitzer size, which is considerable smaller than what was called the atomic cannon of it's day the 280 mm atomic Annie. Yes, and 155mm.

Kinda wish this data was not so easy to obtain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_artillery

mes228

Nuke

Yes, they can be, and have been.At least carried by one man. I know an ex-soldier that was assigned to deploy one if Europe was invaded during the cold war many years ago. There was a specific tunnel that he was assigned to destroy. I also remember the out cry when host countries in Europe discovered our defense plans entailed detonating a nuke on their soil. They uncovered this plan years after the fact of deployment. I'm sure that technology has made them smaller. This was probably in the 1960's.

Status
Not open for further replies.