Suggestions on shortening a composite stock and installing muzzle brake?

1BadF350

My Ruger 77 MarkII stainless .300win mag is a bit too long for me. Can I shave a 1/2 inch or so off of it and reinstall the butt plate without messing it up?

Also What is involved in installing a muzzle brake? What does it do?

WillBrayjr

You can probably cut a 1/2in off the composit stock but you'll need a new pad fitted to it. A muzzel brake simply is a screw on item that reduces recoil. However it does involve threading the barrel to install it. I know you probably don't have the tools to take on these tasks. Take your rifle to a licensed gunsmith to have them do the work to the stock. Have the gunsmith send the barreled action to Mag-naport to have them install their Mag-na brake. The cost of cutting the stock plus fitting a new pachmayr pad will run around $50.00, sending the rifle to Mag-naport for their muzzel brake will run around $250.00 Thats a total of $300.00, but it's worth every penny when put into a high quality rifle like the Ruger M77.

Harry Bonar

re-pad and brake

Dear Shooter:
It's virtually impossible to instal a new recoil pad on an existing stock unless you use Brownells pad jig - and then it is not a perfect fit - close but not perfect.
I install my pads when I'm making a new stock and then you have a perfect fit - but there are guys that do a fabulous job with the jigs!
As to a muzzle-brake, I'd NEVER do it. Yes, you can do it, but you had better have good ear protection on! I don't mean this in a demeaning way at all, but I tell my customers that if a good recoil pad doesn't solve the recoil problem - go to a lighter caliber! We are OVERGUNNED in this country; if dinosaurs roamed the planet a well placed bullet out of a 30-30 would kill any of them - and probably a 54 cal muzzle-loader (a real one with round ball and not some "plastic packed in line junk)!
I know, that's opinionated, but I'm old and set in my ways! :D