suggestions on buying a 308

rebs

Which rile do you guys recommend in 308 cal ? It will be used 95 percent for target shooting. I hand load so also what powders and bullets are recommended ?
Thank you in advance for any advice

std7mag

What kind of target sh[ting? 200-300, 600 yards prone, 1000 yards bench?

What kind of budget?

Just starting with rifles, or experienced?

Open sight, or scoped?

Too many variables.
For the casual weekend shoot but would like to go some long distant shots i'd say go to Dicks Sporting Goods and get a Savage 11VT.
For more serious( competition) then your looking custom build.

Ruga Booga

I have a Remington 700 varmint. It has a 26" barrel and it sits in a HS precision stock. With Federal gold medal match 168's it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa. More than likely the gun is capable of better groups.

Kvon2

A Howa 1500 in .308 will probably end up in my cabinet in the (hopefully near) future. Not sure of the budget but CZ and Savage have some options I would look at too.

Road_Clam

Need much more details as to your intent. Your asking us the same question as "what truck should I buy, I drive mostly on backroads"

Target distances ?

bolt fed ? Magazine fed ?

bipod ? Benchrest? Sling ?

The big factor, "Budget" ?

windy conditions ? Handloading heavy or light bullets ?

Yes were badgering you with questions but we need honest usage answers to help with the best initial suggestions...

I've shot lot's of calibers from 223 up to 300WM from 50 yds to 1000 yds so I can offer much unbiased feedback

Screwball

Take a look at used gun racks at the shops... including Cabela’s. You can still find well produced Remingtons out there for a decent price, most being hunting guns with lower round counts. Just need to inspect them.

I bought a Model 7 with a similar history from my local FFL. Gun is immaculate. Had an old Leupold, which I removed and sold, and took off the base. Put on a rail base, and a newer Leupold (MK4).

Pulled the bolt apart, and cleaned out all the carbon (any used bolt gun... do that and be shocked at what comes out). Sent it stripped to CCR, and had it plated to slick it up a bit/make cleaning a little easier. Put it all back together, and have a light scoped rifle that I’m happy with.

I do say current Remingtons are a decent buy, but you really want to look it over completely, prior to paying for it. If there is anything more wrong (I just prefer not having to deal with a problem that I could have said no on), have Remington CS deal with it.

Wyosmith

Gunsmith's answer:
Best factory 308 bolt guns available are the Winchester M70 and the Ruger M77.

Best push-feed bolt action rifle is probably the Howa or maybe the Ruger American.

RC20

I would suggest the best off the shelf gun is a Savage, Cablela their store only and two models.

One is the 10T
, a bit more tactical, shorter barrel (24 inch) and a rail, decent stock. Often has a $100 rebate and sometimes another $50 off. I think that get the price down to $460.

More a target varmint setup is the
That one has come in at under $300 with rebates. Stock a lower grade plastic than the 10T.

Both have the nice Savage varmint trigger (adjustable down to 1.5 lbs), both have what Savage calls a Varmint Barrel which is an almost bull barrel in profile.

With the heavy barrels you can target shoot a lot without the barrel going funny.

Lots of after market options for the Savages. Boyds makes some really good drop in stocks for under $150 (a bit of tang relief at the rear)

There are a lot of good field guns out there, not so much target guns. If its more target than field then weight is not an issue. 10T is more a split gun, the 12FV more the target or fixed varmint shooting .

I would consider 6.5 as more versatile overall. As good a bullet selection as the 30 caliber guns, a bit less overall costs for bullets, powder. Its more capable long distance do to the narrower bullet and better BC.

I do have one of the 12FVs (308, it fit in better with my other 30 caliber guns) that I have modified quite a bit (bull barrel and a Boyds stock, rail).

A plus in my view as I shoot a lot, is that I can replace barrels easily (and at home if you want to invest $150 or so in the tools)

Remington require a trigger to work decently.

Last edited:

cw308

rebs
Hay rebs I feel like I know you by now, one of the guy's . As you know I'm a Remington guy , Remington 700P change the trigger to a benchrest. You want to shoot long range , I personally like 20" barrels but 20 maybe pushing it for 1000 yards. Savage LRP makes a nice rifle in 223 , 308 & 6.5CM . You might want to take a hard look at the 6.5CM before you pull the trigger on a LR shooter. I still love shooting my Remington set up only for benchrest shooting.Hope I Helped , Be Well .

Chris

Whistlebritches

If it is primarily a bench gun I'd look real hard at the Remington Sendero.At 8.5lbs and a 26 inch barrel this thing should be a target shooters dream.In 308 recoil should be minimal.Good luck in your quest

taylorce1

Which rile do you guys recommend in 308 cal ?It will be used 95 percent for target shooting.

If you want to eventually shoot FT/R buy a Savage FT/R.

If you want to shoot PRS buy/build a PRS rifle.

.30 caliber Benchrest, have it built.

Just an all around shooting rifle for target with the possibility of hunting it, I recommend the Tikka T3x CTR. It isn't obscenely heavy if a guy wants a portable rifle to hunt with, but it has DBM, scope rail, and a better factory stock than most rifles. I can't recommend any of the cheaper Savage rifles that have been recommended like the 10T or the 12FV, sure they'll shoot but if your wanting to be serious about target shooting then they'll need to be upgraded and cost you just as much or more in the long run.

I hand load so also what powders and bullets are recommended ?
Varget and IMR 4064 would be the powders I'd start with in the .308 Win. Bullets for target shooting would be 150-168 grain bullets with the .308 seem to be the sweet spot. Depending on what rifle you buy and how fast the twist is you can go a lot heavier than that, but the lighter bullets will make for more enjoyable target shooting.

jmr40

Budget?

For $350 the Ruger American Predator will out shoot many guns costing $1000+. But if you want something nicer the sky is the limit. The Ruger Precision rifle is built on the same action as the Predator, but with lots of extra's and priced right at $1000.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26974.html

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18028.html

In the $1000 range a Tikka CTR has to be a consideration.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...ploads/2016/12/tikka-ctr-308.jpg&action=click

There are many more options in between and priced even higher. It depends on your budget.

Don Fischer

If it's competitive, I'm not sure anything other than a 40X would work. I just thought of the 40X and not sure they are even around other than used anymore. I had a 308 that was super accurate, mod 660 Remington. I think there was a reason for it. The fence post they used for a stock was wide and fairly flat on the bottom, sat on sand bags really well. The barrel was 20" but it was also pretty heavy for a hunting rifle. If you could find a used one even shot out and install a new heavy barrel on it, just might give you what you want. Same goes for the 40X! The trend these day's is lowering weight, much easier to carry around a 7 1/2# rifle than an 8#! So the stocks have got Skinner and not so flat on the bottom and the barrels have got a lot thinner, all in the name of weight! If I remember right, the base to the 40X or maybe the 600 series rifle was the same action was used in both excepting the 40X was a single shot. Oh yes, both had short barrels, 20"

I don't believe you can go into any average gun store and buy a competitive target rifle! Over the years there have been factory heavy barrel varmint rifles sold but I doubt any of them could actually compete with a true bench rest rifle. Take it out to truly long range and maybe something like a Sendaro might work in the right hands but speaking of the right hands I believe that is the biggest key in long range target.

T. O'Heir

What's your budget?
Powders and bullets will depend on the kind of target shooting.
Dick's list a lot of stuff they don't have. That Savage 11VT is one of 'em. No shortage of Savage rifles(probably the best bang for your buck) at Cabela's. A 12FV with the Accutrigger and heavy barrel runs $419.99 with no sights.

rebs

100 to 500 yds shooting range, budget up to $1500 with a scope, must have a very good to excellent adjustable trigger, preferably 20" to 24" barrel. This will be mainly bench rest shooting, possibly standing off hand, sitting and prone later on.

RC20

Then the Cabela only 10T is your best cost benefit option.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-T-SR-CENTERFIRE-RIFLE/2464333.uts

As noted, glass is going to cost more than the rifle. I have 32X and found it adequate for 300 meters, I think ok for 500 yards.

If it is primarily a bench gun I'd look real hard at the Remington Sendero.At 8.5lbs and a 26 inch barrel this thing should be a target shooters dream.In 308 recoil should be minimal.Good luck in your quest

Costs big bucks and you don't have glass yet. Something around $1100.

Gets you no better than the Savage (well give its got a better stock but you have to like it)

My preference is the Boyds Laminated. Nice wood type that looks good, two have the nice fast target shooting bottom (Thumb Hole and I think the Prairie Hunter with what I call Super Grip I have shot and like)

Last edited:

Road_Clam

rebs said:
100 to 500 yds shooting range, budget up to $1500 with a scope, must have a very good to excellent adjustable trigger, preferably 20" to 24" barrel. This will be mainly bench rest shooting, possibly standing off hand, sitting and prone later on.

If your looking for an "excellent adjustable" factory trigger this pretty much rules OUT the R700's. The rem triggers even though adjustable can only be lightened up to around 3.5#. I have 3 R700's all stock triggers and I do fine with them, however many X Mark Pro haters out there. I also have a Savage 12 FTR which is just an outstanding shooter box stock. I think for what you described the Savage 110 Tac is an awesome do all 308 (The 20" barrel version will be no problem reaching out to 500 yds, and the shorter barrel will be better suited for shooting offhand or sitting should you choose)

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110Tactical

No matter what you choose make sure you go with a heavy varmint contour with a 1-10" twist barrel. The 10 twist will accomidate the heavier 175 gr bullets much better than a 1-12" twist. The 12 twist is suited best for 155-168 gr bullets. If you are definitely thinking 500 yds, a 175 gr bullet is excellent for bucking the wind.

I shoot 600 yds weekly and don't let people tell you that you need 30X+ optical power. I use everything from a 1903A4 with a 2.5X all the way up to my 308 FTR which uses a 8-42X and my preferred sweet spot for magnification at 600 yds is 20X to 24X max. (and I have extremely poor eyesight). Your best bet for very good midrange optics around $700-800 is either Vortex or Sightron. Good luck !

Last edited:

PlatinumCore16

Along the same lines, I would highly recommend a Savage 10, I'm partial to the older style so am FCP SR gives you an oversized bolt handle, mounting rail, heavy barrel in 20" or 24", and Savage's phenomenal AccuTrigger. Without optic, it comes in at around 8-9lbs, so it will have some heft to it, but nothing like a large monoblock chassis rifle. Also comes with 10rd. box mags. The scope I'll be putting on my long range rifle will be the Vortex HST in 4-16, but they also make a 6-24 version. Can't give you any personal experience with it yet, but it's in the right price range. And since Savage just released these new stocks, anything that is outdated will more than likely continue to drop in price. Any money you save your can start buying up match grade ammo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don Fischer

Is your bench rest shooting just for fun or will you compete? I'm not sure any factory produced rifle other than maybe to 40X will actually be competitive. Might shoot really great but that won't make it competitive. $1500 is not much for the rifle it sounds like you want especially when the

$1500 includes the scope also. I relly don't think you need to spend near the money for a decent scope for long range but then I don't shoot competitively either!

I have a rifle I fool with now and then to 500yds. It'll shoot 1/2 MOA if I do my part. It's a 700 Rem with a 25" mag Shilen barrel. Have a 4 1/2-14x Nikpn on it. Heavy sucker, about 9# but it do shoot. 6.5x05. Probably get blown out in comp!