Suggestions on a Cheap Practice Rifle

TheRoadWarrior

I'm active duty Army and have a hard time getting expert at the range with an M16A2. I only have pistol and shotgun in my personal weapons and would like to just get a cheap plinking rifle just to practice with iron sights at the local rifle range. I'm thinking on a Yugoslavian SKS 7.62X39 for cheap ammunition and the recoil will be stronger than that of an M16 so I have to work harder to maintain the fundamentals of marksmanship, especially to maintain sight picture with that extra bang. Its nothing fancy but I think it would be better than just a cheap .22LR "Walmart" plinking rifle that has terrible iron sights and you can't hit anything past 100 yards at best.

What do you think? My budget is 300$ pending tax return of course. Any issue of shotgun news has dozens of SKS from China and all of eastern block for under 300$, but I've heard Yugoslavian is better quality since its milled rather than stamped and that the Chinese have lesser quality steel in theirs.

Stevie-Ray

My one and only experience with SKSs from China wasn't good. Hell of a time hitting even paper at 50 yards. Finally got it on paper for the guy, but it was all over the place; one of the most inaccurate rifles I've ever fired. But it was one of those crated weapons that were selling for 99 bucks years ago. Pure crap if you ask me, but for 99 bucks, meh, getting what you pay for was right on the money so to speak.

Doc TH

practice rifle for $300

If you are looking for something that will improve your M16 scores, I would look at something other than an SKS. I have a Russian SKS and love it, but the open sights are an issue for transitioning to an M16 with issue red dot or peep sights. Recoil is generally not an issue with the M16 - M4 variants, so why not get a Ruger 10-22, and put a peep sight or an inexpensive red dot on it and practice away? It would certainly come in uner $300, and I believe it would be a better choice than an SKS with open sights, and also cheaper to shoot.

sirsloop

Mosin Nagant!!

Cheap, fun, loud, heavy recoil, although really not that accurate compared to other guns like M1 Garands, Mausers, K31's, 1903a3's. Put through 1-2k 7.62x54Rs and it'll take the the flinch right outta your M16 shooting :eek: I put aperture sights on my M44 and can repeatedly hit a 16x9 steel target at 200 yards off hand.

961659166_k3RYx-L.jpg

961659212_3jxCB-L.jpg

cool fireballs too! :D

1128024956_swF3V-L.jpg

1128028272_avhm7-L.jpg

Last edited:

RoundsDownRange

Be careful with shooting heavy recoiling weapons in substitute of the m16/m4.. (You're still qualifying with m16? lol) It can easily create more bad habits instead of eliminate.. I'd take the advice and get the ruger 10-22.. its cheap and fairly accurate. You wont develop any bad habits because you have zero recoil, so you'll identify your flaws as they happen.. Either way be safe and have fun :) Thats most important

sirsloop

The mosin screws with your head thats for sure. After you catch a couple on the collar bone you will find yourself jerking the trigger a little bit. I pretty much have to repeat the "squeeeeeeze" mantra in my head while shooting that thing.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
There is the option of a good-used .22 like a Marlin or Remington; they'd group reasonably well. Then, shoot at small targets at closer range. Nowhere is it written that you must shoot at full-sized targets at 100 yards or more.

And if you learn to concentrate on coarse sights, a peep sight is even easier--or you could add a peep sight to your own .22.

Learning to stay focussed and to be consistent, shot to shot, is a large part of what's necessary to learn.

sirsloop

IDk... you don't see MLB hitters air swinging before they go up to bat. They swing like three bats with weights on the end of them. Then they go to bat.

As long as you are conscious about how you are handling a higher powered rifle like a Mosin Nagant I think its good training. What else are you gonna get thats not a .22, with a substantial amount of ammo, for $300 bucks anyways? He can get a 91/30 and like 880rds of ammo for 300 bucks! HA!

When you are shooting you just gotta keep the fundamentals in mind. I haven't been scared to pull the trigger on anything after shooting thousands of 7.62x54R. I mean what am I likely to run into that kicks harder, makes more noise, and makes that large of a muzzle blast? I shot a 1903A3 in .30-06 and it was a p***y cat! Loved it and it was VERY accurate with its rear peep sight.

mikerault

Here you go:

zombie_killer.jpg

Hi-Point 9mm carbine, also available in .40 S&W and .45

It comes with the basic blade and ghost ring for less than $300.00 NIB, all accessories ad $137.00 to it. With just the Aimpoint as an extra I got this one for $289.00.

Mike

sirsloop

Lol... or get a bare bones AR-15 that shoots .223 and train on what you are basically qualifying with. Wont be 300 tho :p

RoundsDownRange

MLB players use multiple bats to promote faster swing speed and correct follow through.. Shooting is a different world.. You're comparing oranges to apples here. Rifle fundamentals are much different. Take dime/washer drills for example. I have a mosin and can contest to how fun they are to shoot. I love mine. and Cabela's has them for 89 bucks for about 5 more days, but if your looking to better your fundamentals and train. Thats not the best way to go about it.

Buzzcook

Its nothing fancy but I think it would be better than just a cheap .22LR "Walmart" plinking rifle that has terrible iron sights and you can't hit anything past 100 yards at best.

You would be wrong there. A good .22 will be better for you than a milsurp for improving your shooting.

There are several good .22 rifles for under $300.

kraigwy

My vote goes for a good bolt action 22, you can get them, good ones for under $200. Spend the other hundred on ammo.

Bamashooter

I think 10/22 ruger and some good range time would do wonders for your shooting. You dont have to worry about recoil so you can concentrate on shooting.

the rifleer

Get a .22lr and put several thousand rounds though it. That will make you a better shot. Shoot from the same positions you will be tested from. Shoot to get the tightest groups possible.

essohbe

You can do a few things here.

What everyone else said is valid but you are practicing to shoot the M16A2? I'd get an AR upper chambered for .22lr (there's a bunch) only if you have an AR lower or get the Ruger SR-22 for a little more than your budget but you'll save in the long run because it's .22lr bullets.

I got the Nordic Components kit (basically is Ruger's SR22) you put a 10/22 action and barrel in so you essentially have an AR/M16 rifle's geometry but you can shoot all day since it's .22lr.

Nordic also makes their own upper in .22lr.

ProMag has the Archangel kit similar to SR22/Nordic kit but it's different.

Or,

Get an AK74 for a little more than your budget also and shoot 5.45 for CHEEEP! You'll have the recoil like the NATO round to work with that the .22lr won't offer. This is a better alternative to the SKS if you are practicing for shooting a .223 round.

I think the 10/22 would do fine on it's own, maybe throw it in a tapco stock even, but if you really wanted to replicate that AR then look into the kits I was talking about.