Suggestions on a .22 target pistol

brotherwolf

I am considering purchasing a nice .22 target pistol. (ammo is getting high as a cat's back) Any suggestions? Any that I should not purchase? Please keep your recommendations below the $1000 mark. Thanks.

allenomics

I don't think you can go wrong with Ruger. It makes its Mark III and MKIII (1911) in a variety of configurations. Prices vary from about $305 (MSRP) to about $570.

Here's a link to the Mark III - Target.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10106&return=Y

Here's a link to Ruger's popular Hunter edition:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10118&return=Y

The MKIII is generally less expensive than Mark III's. If you like a 1911 type frame, consider the MKIII.

If you like the grip, feel and how it fires, you should give it strong condideration.

deadin

For under a $1,000 you can get a S&W Model 41 or a Benelli MP95e (plus a Red Dot). They may not be any "better" (in some people's eyes) than a Ruger, but, at least, are ready to go out of the box. The Ruger will need trigger work among other things.

Tbag

Rugers are nice, I have MKIII Hunter. My High Standard is a shooter but you can only buy those used these days. S&W Model 41 ($800 new)are highly regarded by anyone who doesn't have an infininty to Rugers. I am thinking about buy a S&W 41 myself maybe within the next couple of weeks. Benilli's M95, it's a euro type of pistol very nice about the same money as a Smith sometimes a little picky on ammo, but by that remark any of the rimfires can be picky. Browning offers some nice shooter $300-450, unless you go for the Medalist, one sweet ride. The Medalist is not made any longer but very nice ones are out on the market. Most people who had them did not shoot them very much.

sneaky pete

Ruger Government Target models

A while ago at a gun show in Miami I picked up a new Ruger II Government Target model 6-7/8 bull barrel with adjustable rear sight and an adjustable trigger. It seems to me that I paid under $500. In the very distant past I've owned a High Standard supermatic citation 12' BBL , and a Browning Medalist both of which are out of production. If you could find either one of those they would be VERY expensive. Unless you plan to shoot in the Olimpics the Gov. Target will be a very excelent choice at a totally reasonable price. P.S. I did the adjustments on my trigger myself. No need for an expensive trigger job.

punkkin

Ruger w/bull barrel. I really liked my Walther P22, but I think the Rugers will be better target pistol.

CraigJS

MP95E "Atlanta", Nills grips, Ultra Dot.. Super shooter, great balance, low muzzle rise, adjustable trigger. It will shoot with or out shoot anything in your price range. This one was mine.. (got out of .22 target work)
Check them out online at Larry's of Maine.
Be safe.

Attachments

• DCP_2164.jpg-2 crop11.jpg
    DCP_2164.jpg-2 crop11.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 124

'75Scout

I personally love my MKII. And it needs nothing in the way of trigger work, but who knows how many thousands of rounds have been put through it. I would love to put a DocOptics or Burris red dot/holo on it though.

hj28rules

I have a Ruger MkIII Target model with a bull barrel. It is a great pistol to shoot and very accurate, however it is a bitch to disassemble and clean.

wolverine350

I have the Ruger 22/45 MKIII with a 4 1/2" slab side barrel with fixed sights, and the Browning Buck Mark Camper with 51/2" bull barrel adjustable sights, both are excellent shooters but the Browning is very awesome with its adjustable sights, it is very accurate and can be had for about 329.00, the Ruger 22/45 is about 259.00:D

onlybrowning

Smith 41, long barrel preferrably, but either is good. I have the Ruger as well, and while I am a huge ruger handgun fan, the model 41 is in a different class. Can be found used quite regularly around here.

inkie

Your first 22

All of the recommendations are fine, I have been shooting Bullseye for many years and two of my favorites are the High Standard Trophy and Model 41. For a new shooter I would recommend the High Standard. You do not have to buy a used one, High Standard is being manufactured in Texas. Check into the models and prices before you buy.

skeeter1

If you have a $1K budget...

...the Smith 41 is the cream of the crop. I like the 7" barrel over the 5" barrel, but that's just my personal preference. If you want the finest .22 target pistol, that's the one to get. My Smith M35 6"bbl revolver is in the same price range, so I can't justify buying another .22 target handgun, but if I were to, it would be a Smith M41.

NCHornet

I second or third or whatever the Ruger Mark II Target model, it just doesn't get any better than this for a 22 pistol under $500 bucks. I have a cheap red dot scope and it has quickly become the families favorite gun to shoot. I will also admit that it is the most complicated gun to field strip that I have ever owned. There is a kit to buy thatt makes the process much simpler. I need to look into it.

mikejonestkd

Either a smith 41 or a high standard 106 or 107 series military, trophy, or victor from hamdem would be excellent choices. Benelli makes a nice one too.

For cheaper prices look at the buckmark target 5.5 or the ruger markIII target models. They are nice too.

deadin

Unfortunately the GSP has crossed the $1000 threshold. If we're going there, there's any number of other .22 target pistols to consider. Hammerli, Pardini, Morini, etc.
I will second the High Standard Victor suggestion, however I've heard negative things about quality on the currently made ones. (I can't back this up from experience, just reporting the buzz.)
Here's another that might be worth a look, if you can find one. Walther has apparently bought the output from Baikal and is putting a finer finish, better grips and the Walther name on them and selling in the $1400 range. The originals are no longer available new and the used prices are going up. I have one I was going to sell for around $350-400 until I started to research it and found that the used price today is more in the $500-600 range and still rising. I decided to hang on for awhile and see where they end up.:D

One thing about the IZH, I've never found any ammo it wouldn't eat. Extermely reliable.

IZH-35M.jpg