Suggestions for Rifle Caliber

Bulldog44

I'm looking for recommendations on what caliber rifle/carbine to buy. I already have a .22 WMR, and I'd prefer something a bit stouter. I'd considered something in a pistol caliber (.44 Magnum), but would I be better off with something like .30-30 or .30-06? What length barrel? I'd prefer either lever or bolt action.

I don't plan to do any hunting with it (but would want a rifle suitable for this if I decided to take deer - but nothing any larger). It would mainly be used for varmint control and as a general house gun.

I don't know much about calibers such as .223, so any input is appreciated. Thanks.

rugerfreak

For your stated purposes---I think a .243 would be just about the perfect caliber. Big enough for deer and more than enough for anything smaller. Plenty of small, handy rifles chambered for that caliber.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I am generally against using a .223 for deer, unless one is a skilled shot who is sure of their shot placement. Further, it oughta be--generally--smaller-sized Bambis and at relatively close range.

All that said, then, a .223 is inexpensive to shoot, and will happily deal with any varmint you're likely to find in Alabama.

Next step up, to me, would be a .243.

Lessee...Well, I prefer bolt actions to semi-autos, and have a general bias against para-military stuff. Not that they're not fun, nor that they don't have their place in self-defense use, but I just like the bolt actions better. I'm old-fashioned, that way. :)

$0.02,

Art

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Aw, Sam, the 98 ain't "para"; it's real military! :D

I use the term to mean these semi-auto versions of selective-fire fun-things. Hey, if you can't clean a room, where's the fun? :D

98s, '03s, Garands, etc., they're for real. Got some history to 'em. And the 98 is such a neat platform for building a shonuff pet!

:), Art

JohnKSa

Administrator
As long as you don't plan on shots much longer than 150-200 yards, the 30-30 is a good general purpose cartridge, and the Marlin 336 is a good rifle.

You can find the ammo anywhere and at good prices and, if you look around, you can probably pick up a used 336 for a very reasonable price. Probably already scoped.

jjmorgan64

I think you'll be happy with either the 44 mag or 30-30 in lever action, these guns are both great plinkers, and moren than capable for short range deer.

The 223 is the best varmit round listed, can be a blast to shoot, a little too small for deer, however

The 243 is another great round, more pop than the 223, can be used for deer, more expensive to shoot, however than the 223.

Bottom line is that all are extremely capable rounds if you know there strenghts and weaknesses, do a couple of searches, and go to the gun shop and hold a couple models, Buy the one that you just can't put down;)

Hard Ball

FOR AN ALL ROUND CENTERFIRE RIFLE IT IS HARD TO BEAT THE .308 WINCHESTER. IT IS ACCURATE AND HAS SUFFICENT POWER FOR ANY JOB YOU MENTION (Pardon the all caps. my caps lock key was stuck) :cool:

BIGR

A bolt gun in .243 or 25.06 would be just right. The 25.06 is often overlooked. I know for a fact it will take deer cleanly and the lighter bullets would be great on varmits. It all boils down to personal choice. Some people on here will down the 25.06 because they own another caliber.It is great that we have a great selection of calibers and each man can be happy. :)

rugerfreak

Nothing wrong with the 7mm-08---.308 or any of the short action calibers. From your original post---it just seemed to me that you were looking for something smaller.

Quote:
I don't plan to do any hunting with it (but would want a rifle suitable for this if I decided to take deer - but nothing any larger). It would mainly be used for varmint control and as a general house gun.

ancien

Hi Bulldog,
As far as calibers are concerned, I'd echo what
has already been suggested, .243Win, 6mmRem, 7mm08, 257 Robts, 250 Sav, and .308Win are great, offering a variety of commercial ammo at your local source. And the recoil is mild to moderate.
As far as rifles go, I'd take a look around your local gunshops and online for any used Rem M788's. These were introduced by Remington back, oh geez, in the 70s I think. The neat part about them is they are relatively inexpensive and Remington actually got it right. They are very accurate rifles! Mine in 6mmRem is a tack driver, with groups 3/4" or larger the exception at a 100yds. Usually groups between 5/8 and 1/2 inches, some loads within 1/4". If no luck there, I'd still
look around for a used bolt gun before I'd go out
and spend hard cash for a new rifle, especially
given your intended purpose. The older and more common rifles will usually be the least expensive.
If you like lever-actions, you should be able to
pick up a Marlin M336 or Winchester M94 in 30-30
at a reasonable price. If you do find a used gun that you like, be sure to have a gunsmith check it out to make sure it is safe.
What I would suggest you stay away from is any of
the carbines chambered for magnum pistol cartridges. My reasoning goes like this, your post
didn't sound like you spend a lot of time shooting, and want the gun to dispatch problems
where you live, and maybe take a deer once in awhile. These carbines tend to have more recoil, limited range (100yds if that), and are more prone to be finicky when it comes to accuracy. These guns are fine for those who dedicate the time to work up good reloads re accuracy, but you'd still have to deal with issues of recoil and range.
Especially stay away from any 9mm rifle carbine, as these are underpowered with all the rest of the
problems mentioned. (No slight towards Marlin, but
I've heard particularly negative comments re the
Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm regarding accuracy.)
Just my opinion, I know others will strongly disagree.
Good Luck,
ancien

JerryM

Either .243 or 6MM is the obvious choice.
It is an excellent deer cartridge, and recoils less than the .308 class of cartridges.
Jerry