Suggestions For Night Sights On a Kahr P380 ?

Jimmy10mm

I want to replace the standard sights on my P380. Looking at the accessories on the Kahr website I have a choice of the Novak tritium, the meprolight or the big dot. Anyone have experience with more than one of these systems ? I've got what I believe is the Novak on my Sig P238 and on my Kahr MK40 and I like them. Just wondered if there was something better ?

Any preferences and reasons why one might be better than the other or an alternative night sight not mentioned ?

I'm in my 60s, wear bifocals and if the sight picture isn't clear I'm at a distinct disadvantage.

Would the general recommendation be to send the slide back to Kahr for the sight installation or is it the type of thing the local gun shop should be able to handle without messing it up ? Appreciate any advice. :)

PSP

I'm a bifocal guy myself. I prefer the Mepro sights on my Kahrs because I can see the sight well in daylight, perhaps due to the larger, thicker tube. The tritium vials all look to be about the same size to me. I've also used Trijicon on a couple guns, but Mepros are my favorite.

Would the general recommendation be to send the slide back to Kahr for the sight installation

Yes, Kahr sights are very tight. Gunsmiths around me refuse to install them. Send the slide back to Kahr for the installation.

Here's a photo of Mepros on the left, Trijicon on the right.

comparesights003.jpg

orionengnr

I had the Big Dot on my PM9 when I bought it (I shot really low with it, seems to require a very different sight picture from what I'm used to). I didn't like it one bit, but some do.

I have had Trijicons and Meprolites on other pistols. Both are high quality night sights, and either will do you well.

However, if you plan on keeping the pistol for a while, night sights go dim after 8-12 years. If you have Trijicons, you can send either the sights or the slide back, and they will replace the tritium vials for $18 each. I did so recently, and the service and turnaruond was exceptional. That was $54, as opposed to $132 for a replacement set, which also would have required a smith to install and subsequent re-sighting.

Trijicon is what I buy these days, because most of my pistols these days are keepers.

How do you like your P380? I own a PM9, a P45 and a PM45, and have been eyeballing the PM380 as a replacement for my LCP...

Jimmy10mm

How do you like your P380? I own a PM9, a P45 and a PM45, and have been eyeballing the PM380 as a replacement for my LCP.

Thanks for the replies. I intend to keep the gun but at my age I'm not too worried about the sights losing the light before I wear out. :p Now I'm leaning toward the meprolights based on the photo of the sight pictures. Seems they would be easier to acquire a sight picture and that is what I'm looking for.

To answer your question, I love the P380. It has a great trigger and at the ranges it is meant for it is a tack driver. Unlike a friend's Kel-Tec 380 the Kahr is fun to shoot. I carry it all of the time.

I never thought I would carry more than one gun at a time but even if I am carrying my MK40 I've got the P380 on me as well so I highly recommend it.

orionengnr

Thanks for the reply.
I intend to keep the gun but at my age I'm not too worried about the sights losing the light before I wear out.
Kind of like the "at my age, I don't buy green bananas", huh? :) I'm not that far behind you in that regard.
I don't carry my LCP, but might carry the P380 as a BUG...if I can convince myself to carry a BUG...