Suggestions for my next ar upper

VMUTH

Well, it's time to sell my current upper and build one that better fits my needs. I currently have a 20" version of the RRA varmint. I've put less than 60 rounds through it total in the last 5yrs. I bought it, zero'd it then took it on about half a dozen days of coyote hunting and haven't used it in years.

Honestly, i'm just getting old. That thing is heavy for me to lug around to stands. I figure it's time for a 4 rail flat top med. countour fluted upper. That should lower the weight a bit. I just can't figure out which length barrel to get. 16 or 18 or 20. I'm usually shooting up to about 250 yards max. (I'm not the best shooter out there.) My current upper is 10x more accurate than i am. I can find 16's and 20's all over the place and only about 2 18's. If i get a 16 or 18 inch barrel, will i be giving up too much accuracy out to 250 yards?

Can't seem to make my mind up and wanted your guys real life experience and opinions.

Secondly, where would you suggest i purchase one at. Been looking on DEZ and J&T sites. They seem to be the most price competitive.

Thanks guys.

VMuth

10mmAuto

16 inch SS BCM.
At typical engagement ranges you won't notice the difference. Find a basic carbon fiber free float if you want to save money.

tirod

Shooting at ....?

I'll assume deer hunting is part of it. A service rifle with 2MOA will do that, even with 400 yard shots, it's an 8" group. Windage and holdover will be a bigger problem. Nonetheless, a good barrel is nice to have.

A quad rail is a $250 luxury, and was invented as a compromise solution for different users to clamp on a bunch of old school optics and lights. That's military and LEO mostly. For the hunter, they are high expense, just as heavy as handguards, usually get bulked up with ladder covers, and then a stick gets bolted underneath to help hoist it up. Fully kitted quad rail guns are commonly 10-12 pounds. I think that's counterproductive to light weight, but give it a minute and someone will tell you get a gym membership and quit whining. Usually some under thirtysomething with no prior service.

Same for fluting, it's eye candy, very little actual weight savings, no accuracy improvement, just higher costs. Not so much on barrel cooling either, hunting means the shot's cold anyway.

My solution to get away from the heavier .30's is to build a 6.8SPC. It has 40% more power than 5.56, uppers are available from numerous makers, and most follow the better specs. Ammo isn't milsurp or cheap import, runs the same as commercial, actually less bought over the internet than Leverevolution .30-30 off the shelf. If you just hunt with it - like most do with 6.8SPC, it's not expensive. And it's not going away any time soon, it's the #1 alternate caliber in AR's.

Check at 68forums.com for more info, they help a lot there. Most of the better suppliers have a subforum there. All you really need is a barrel, bolt, and magazine, you could convert the 20" yourself and save money. It's really no harder than changing a water pump.

I've got a lower built, a stripped upper, and parts galore shipping in the next few weeks. I missed hunting with one this year, not likely next season. So far, selling off my other hobby, I've actually not been out a dime from a paycheck, the gun will be essentially free. All that stuff was just laying in drawers and boxes not being useful anyway.

Haven't heard any complaints about it on the homefront, either. :cool: