Suggestions for LH bolt rifle and scope

antsi

I am saving up for a new bolt rifle, I will probably buy in about a year. (Life is different now with kids - time was I would have just run out and bought whatever, whenever I wanted to).

The primary use of this gun will be range/target fun. On the farm where I shoot I can get out to 2-300 yards, so it would be nice to have a good rifle for longer range fun. There is no centerfire rifle deer hunting here in IN, but I'd like this gun to be hunting capable in case I do an out of state hunting trip some time. Of course like all guns, it should be SHTF-capable should the S happen to HTF.

I really like the CZ 550 FS and would certainly get one if the came in LEFT HAND action, which they don't. Called CZ and they said maybe in 2-3 years. In any case, I do like full stocked rifles but that is mostly a cosmetic thing that I would be willing to give up.

.30-06 is a favorite rifle caliber and it would simplify my reloading life to stay there.

Don't know much about scopes. I am willing to spend some money on mid-range-quality optics but I can't go into the multi-thousand$ on glass. I'd like to keep the total budget for this project around $1000 or so.

Suggestions for quality and $-for-$ value appreciated.

Hammer1

Keep in mind before long those children will be working hard and bringing all their income to you for proper investment -- purchasing guns.

hoghunting

The Tikka T3 is available in a LH action and in .30-06. It's a very accurate rifle with a 1 MOA guarantee.

You can also mount the Burris Fullfield II 3X-9X x 40 on the T3, and you'll have a nice rig for under $1000.

sholling

Tikka T3 or a Savage. If you don't mind the extra weight the Savage 10FP can be had in a 20" barreled .308, and would be perfect for a range rifle. The Tikka is a bit more refined but both are seriously accurate $550 rifles. If SWFA still has any of their 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos for $200 I'd jump on it.