Suggestions for designing the perfect LCR & LCRX grip

HighValleyRanch

Of course there are no one grip fits all.
I got my duplicator set up to inlet the panels for the LCR and LCRX grip tang frames. So now I can make up some blocks to play with grip designs.

So here is your chance to input some ideas for grip design.

So here are some questions.
1. Is pocket carry a criterial, which then means a shorter grip.
2. Is a full three finger grip desireable?
3. Finger grooves which limits fit, or no finger grooves?
4. Narrow grip at the bottom for more conceability?
5. Is a traditional looking grip necessary to you, or are you open to the most far out concept if it works?
6. Thick or thin grip?
7. Necessity for easy speedloader loading, including jet loaders?

Lately, I've been working on some birdshead type designs. This one is my latest with a two finger hold so it fits into my jeans pocket, and the birdshead for recoil control, and a very very high hand hold with the grip extending way up the backstrap so my web is almost level with the bore axis. Made out of Cherry wood with a leather stain. The bottom has a bulbous swell so locks my hand in, and the design of the grip is old world kinda inspired by "steampunk" motif.
My own main criterials for this LCR are pocket carry and access for my SL Variant speed loader, but I have some designs worked out for OWB carry as well.

But some of my future designs might be influenced by some of your suggestions, like boot grip designs, combat grip, farrant grip, etc.

I'll be designing some for both the LCR and the LCRX 3" models.
Looking forward to hearing some suggestions!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05165.JPG
    DSC05165.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 697
  • DSC05166.JPG
    DSC05166.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:

Terminatorret

My first and foremost requirement is slick and easy access when drawing from my Wrangler's right front pocket. The OEM grips were just too "sticky". I put Eagle wood grips on my and have been happy, thus far.
FWIW, the grips you pictured are beautiful. I don't know how they feel, but they look superb.

WheelGunMan

I like the Hogue Tamers grip that it comes with. The only improvement would be adding an extension for the pinky.

I put Pachmayr Diamond Pro's on mine and it totally changed my aiming ability. Not entirely sure how.

slabside 1911

Beautiful work and craftsmanship. I have two LCR’s and love them both but the grips have always been a problem for me. I’ve tried just about every grip out there and keep going back to the one that came with the guns and that’s fine I can live with that but I’m always on the lookout for different type grip. Please keep posting pictures of the different ones you make.

HighValleyRanch

Interesting that they list the Guardian for the LCR, but I cannot find a photo of one anywhere on the internet, even Lyman's own videos or website. Is it that new. They list them for sale.
I do like their innovative thinking however.

I think if/when Ruger makes a 3 inch .327 LCRx, those are the grips I'll be putting on it.
IMHO the 3" LCR is not a pocket gun size. It's the same size as a K frame or Ruger security six. So a pop out compact grip is not necessary, as it would be carried IWB or OWB and could use a full size grip.

tallball

Those are beautiful grips!

I had to put LCRx grips on my 38 special LCR because the original ones were just too small for my XL hands.

HighValleyRanch

Making the block for a boot grip style LCRX grip.
Inletted the two sides on the duplicator and gluing them up to make a thin one piece grip with the securing screw on the bottom like OEM.
Using scrap Cherry wood from my shop. It's nice and dense and finishes out decent.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05170.JPG
    DSC05170.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 592

HighValleyRanch

IMHO the 3" LCR is not a pocket gun size. It's the same size as a K frame or Ruger security six. So a pop out compact grip is not necessary, as it would be carried IWB or OWB and could use a full size grip.

HaHa, I have to eat my own words! I took some fabric and sewed some extra material on my jeans pockets to make them deeper, and can now carry the 3" LCRX in my jeans! So I guess it makes a nice decent pocket carry gun given it's super light weight. Hence the need for some small boot grips for the gun as above.

Jazzgun

HaHa, I have to eat my own words! I took some fabric and sewed some extra material on my jeans pockets to make them deeper, and can now carry the 3" LCRX in my jeans! So I guess it makes a nice decent pocket carry gun given it's super light weight. Hence the need for some small boot grips for the gun as above.
How resourceful! You just gave me an idea to sew a pocket on my skinny jeans that don't have pockets. Are you using a pocket holster as well or just your gun?

HighValleyRanch

Got it shaped. Very minimal and thin. Fits great into my elongated jeans pocket!
Just deciding on the finish I want. Thinking faux stag would be cool.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05171.JPG
    DSC05171.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 560

reteach

You do beautiful work.

Agreed. And, it seems, in just a couple of hours. I know there was other planning and prep work we didn't see, but you're still good and quick.
My vote for the finish would be to leave the color as is. The grain looks good and the contrast is interesting.

HighValleyRanch

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
I painted the boot grips with a white base and will do some faux stag when the paint dries enough, but in the mean time, I whipped out another project block out of American black walnut. This will be a target style stock for the 3" LCRX. It will have a thumbrest, palm swell and flared base support. This will be for range fun, not carry.

Getting the inletting down to 1/2 hour now. It takes the block a couple of hours to dry in the glue up. So will be shaping this afternoon. The basic shape is cut with a jig and band saw, and the contours are cut freehand with a thin blade bandsaw. Shaping on these prototypes are done freehand with drum and disc sanders. It takes about a hour to shape and then another hour to hand sand. If anyone is interested in learning how to make their own, I can on another thread post a do along.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05173.JPG
    DSC05173.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 530

reteach

If anyone is interested in learning how to make their own, I can on another thread post a do along.

I'm interested. Don't want to create work for you, but if you're counting votes, put me down as having both hands raised.

Slimjim9

Interesting work HVR. I've been very pleased with the Pachmayr Diamond Pro. It is thick but provides a 3-finger grip and still fits in most of my front pockets.

HighValleyRanch

well, it got late, and the grips had to dry, but snapped a few shots of the finished target grips. Still need another coat of tru-oil, but they fit really nice and feel very secure in the hand.
The black walnut has a dark brown leather stain, and it came out too solid, so it took some work to take some off so the wood grain showed again. Like I stated, each one is an experiment and learning process till I get it down.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05174.JPG
    DSC05174.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC05176.JPG
    DSC05176.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC05180.JPG
    DSC05180.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 513

Jazzgun

Those are beautiful grips! I am SOOO impressed. Love the color of the black walnut. Do you do this just as a hobby or do you ever take orders? Someday I would love to have some real wood grips like that for my Snub nosed S&W .38. I love the first ones too, the light color that you said fit in your levis pocket real good. What color did you wind up staining it or did you leave it natural. Fantastic job! :)