suggested reading?

youngun

I have "That Every Man Be Armed," John Adams's bio, Locke's works on order....
What else should the patriotic American read?

AugustWest

This'll sound stupid, and I'm sure most TFLers have, but it's astonishing how many Americans haven't read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Your state constitution as well. They should be read, and more than once.

It's astonishing how many Americans haven't.

Justin

I'll second the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
On the fiction front, you should read-

Orwell- 1984 and Animal Farm
Bradbury- Fahrenheit 451
Rand- Anything she wrote- Anthem, The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, etc.
Also, read The Federalist Papers as well as The Antifederalist Papers

Seeker

Here's some good reading online ( I am guessing your interest tends towards Legal and Political since you posted in the Legal and Political section)

The Prince by Machiavelli

Mein Kampf by Hitler

Everything here , especially some of the stuff in the students section.

Here is a link to the
Federalist Papers
And here's one to Common Sense by Thomas Paine.

hmmm the last one won't post as a link...

ronin308

If you mean patriotic American by loving what our government does: I suggest you stop reading and start watching TV.

If you mean patriotic American in that you want this country to improve and you want to see the ideals of truth and freedom held dear:

-Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises
-The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
-Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
-Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper
-Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper

That's just a few off the top of my head.

bastiat

'The Law' by frederic bastiat. You can get it for about 3 bucks from a barnes & noble, or you can read it for free at bastiat.org

It outlines the role of government and the need for basic human freedoms from the ground up, in a sort of 'if this is true, then this also must be true' kind of way. It's a great foundation to build a political philosophy on, and it's a great demonstration on how to defeat any illogical argument like gun control by starting small and working your way to your larger point - in a way that makes it almost impossible to argue with.

And Walter Williams wrote the forward for the recent edition, so there!

Sun Tzu - The Art of War. Classic and highly recommended by the 20th Century's foremost military thinker, Sir Basil Liddell Hart.

Christopher II

Suggested reading? Everything, of course!

Start with these.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights. Then, read Lysander Spooner's No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority.
Take a couple of months and read Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago.
Gene Callahan's Economics for Real People.
Jude Wanniski's The Way the World Works.
Anything at all by Murray Rothbard and Ludwig von Mises.
Kings of the High Frontier, by Victor Koman, is the novel that Atlas Shrugged and Unintended Consequences tried but failed to be.
If that wasn't enough, haunt the used bookstores and find a copy of F. Paul Wilson's An Enemy of the State. Also, get copies of the Repairman Jack series while you're at it. Fun stuff.
Bastiat's The Law. Anything else by Bastiat.

- Chris

youngun

From Balckstone's commentaries:
"...of which I fhall firft premife a few obfervations, before I proceed to diftribute and confider it's feveral objects."

C'mon!
Juft because it looks like an "F" doefn't make it an "F."
That's fome difficult reading!

texas1848

Just a few suggestions:
Trenchard and Gordon's Cato's Letters
Letters from the Federal Farmer
Leonard Levy's Origins of the Bill of Rights
Bruce Frohnen editor The Antifederalist
Forrest McDonald: State's Rights and Union
Forrest McDonald: Novus Ordo Seclorum
Algernon Sydney: Discourses Concerning Government

As you can tell I read some heavy stuff, but the basis for government as it should be is contained in these books and writings. I find it interesting that our government is more like the monarchy we got rid of in 1776 than the "republican" form of government we established in 1787.

texas1848

Baba Louie

Good reading and advice so far.

Try Gerry Spence's 1993 book titled "From Freedom to Slavery", subtitled "The rebirth of tyranny in America". by St. Martin's Press.
I also like H.W. Brands "The First American", The life and times of Benjamin Franklin.

Rand, Heinlein, L'Amour, Jefferson, T.R. Roosevelt, Jeff Cooper... all good. Several will direct you to other author's they recommend.

Oh yeah, The Bible has some good reading in it as well.

Adios