substituting magnum primers

mrappe

I have been shooting 38-40 (38 WCF) in my 73 Winchester for years with CCI LP primers and 5.3 grns of Hodgdon Clays for Cowboy Action Shooting. I ran out of LP primers and I have a brick (1000) of LP magnum primers that i bought several years ago that I no longer need so I am going to use them instead. I need to know about how much powder to back off in my loading to compensate for the difference if any to be in the same ballpark.

Thanks

My experience has been that there is no real difference between magnum and regular primers, at least in .223. I've tested CCI-400s, CCI-450s (Magnums) and CCI-41s (MilSpec) and found that the difference is only around 30-50 fps, but in more than half the loads, the magnum primers actually produced velocities lower than the standard primers. I doubt that under a light load of clays, there'll be much difference.b:cool:

Changing to magnum primers can raise or lower pressure or do neither. It's a bit complicated. What distinguishes a magnum primer from a standard one is that it makes more gas, thereby raising the start pressure for the powder burn, something particularly important for slow spherical propellants with their high deterrent coating concentrations that make them extinguish easily if pressure is inadequate. In some pistol cartridges in particular, the greater gas quantity can unseat a bullet before the powder burns much, thus increasing the volume the powder burns in, which lowers peak pressure. In others it raises the pressure. There's just no predicting what your brand will do in your chambering with your powder and bullet combination until you try.

As a general rule of thumb, I've never seen a primer raise pressure higher than what about 5% increase in powder charge would do. So, use a chronograph to measure your current load's average velocity. Then drop the charge 5% but use the magnum primers, and see if the velocity goes up or down. Adjust the charge until the average velocity is a match.

One thing that can happen when you are shooting a load that doesn't fill the case well, is a magnum primer can actually improve your velocity consistency. You might want to watch out for that, as well. If it gets worse, however, that's a sign the primer is unseating the bullets.

RickB

In a back-to-back test, I got slightly higher velocities using Magnum primers, but it could be specific to the powder and primer combination, so not enough info to generalize.
For loads that are not near max, I have substituted Magnum primers with no issues.
The .45 Auto load that I shoot the most is a max load, so I keep the Magnums away when loading that round.