Subcompact 9 struggle

HistoryJunky

So I'm looking to get a double stack, subcompact 9. I know there are a lot of choices out there, but I'd like to hear your favorite choice, and why. I have been looking at the Glock 26, because parts and all are everywhere. I don't particularly like the gun, but it seems like an obvious choice and very utilitarian.

What are some good choices I'm missing? Other guns around the size of the 26.

Striker1

So I'm looking to get a double stack, subcompact 9. I know there are a lot of choices out there, but I'd like to hear your favorite choice, and why. I have been looking at the Glock 26, because parts and all are everywhere. I don't particularly like the gun, but it seems like an obvious choice and very utilitarian.

Well first off...why do you want a sub-compact? Have you ever had the opportunity to shoot one?

What parts would you need? Guns seldom break.
Put 10,000 rounds through a P11 and see whats left!

Nothing wrong with the G26. Buy one used and if you change your mind you won't lose much or any money. I've been carrying 9mm sub-compact glock for almost ten years and can't complain.

K_Mac

The Ruger SR9c is very similar in size. It is a much better fit for me than the G26 though. I recommend you shoot one and see what you think.

jimbear

I'm a big fan of the P2000SK. I guess the P30SK should be lumped in there as well but I prefer the trigger guard and mag release on the P2000SK.

2damnold4this

My G26 is not a handsome firearm but it shoots better for me than any other firearm suitable for concealed carry that I've tried. The flexibility of using magazines from larger Glocks such as the G17 or G19 and the aftermarket support for sights and holsters is also a bonus.

TunnelRat

There are a lot of excellent options out there. I use a Glock 26. As for comparable options, the M&P 9c is very similar in size as well, with the FNS 9c being slightly larger.

J_wood

Rather then question your choice in weapon style as others have, I'll just suggest a Springfield XD. I've shot both the older style and the new mod2 in 3". Feel well made and wouldn't mind one myself. Prefered the mod, but bother very similar. Good luck in your search.

lee n. field

So, you unloaded the M&P 40?

Most of my experience with subcompact 9s is with single stack guns. I've handled an SCCY. Wasn't terribly impressed. That said, I didn't shoot it, so I might think differently.

XD subcompact. I have it in .40, but the 9 is the same size. Reliable, easy to shoot, but may be heavier than you want for its size.

Kel Tec rates their guns to 6000 rounds. Anything past that is either gravy, or on borrowed time, depending on your perspective.

HistoryJunky

So, you unloaded the M&P 40?

Most of my experience with subcompact 9s is with single stack guns. I've handled an SCCY. Wasn't terribly impressed. That said, I didn't shoot it, so I might think differently.

XD subcompact. I have it in .40, but the 9 is the same size. Reliable, easy to shoot, but may be heavier than you want for its size.

Quote:
Kel Tec rates their guns to 6000 rounds. Anything past that is either gravy, or on borrowed time, depending on your perspective.

Nope, I still have the M&P .40. Would I sell it if someone gives me my asking price? Yes. But I'm not going to be overly quick to part with it. I can handle the recoil of .40 in that gun, and it's a very good fit for my hand. And when I draw, it seems to be right on target every time.

I want a double stack for greater ammo capacity. I figure if I'm going to go with a super small gun, it'd probably be in .380 for if I ever decide to carry wearing basketball shorts or something. Otherwise everyday I wear at least jeans with a belt and a t-shirt. Ample attire for concealing a double stack subcompact.

I've held SCCY's as well, haven't shot one either. I was also not impressed. That trigger is looong and heavy. For under $250 it's probably a pretty good deal though. I actually checked out an XD mod2 subcompact today and I liked it quite a bit, I just hate that grip safety.

I have very little experience with Kel-Tec as well. My friend let me check out his P3AT, but I didn't get to shoot it. Honestly it felt cheap, and not in the you're getting a good value for your money way. Whether it functions well or not is something I don't know, but feeling cheap in my opinion doesn't inspire confidence in a carry gun.

GoPappy

I like the Glock 26 because you can carry it with the 10 round mag as a "subcompact" (although it's more compact than subcompact), or put a Glock 19 mag and carry it just like a Glock 19.

K_Mac

GoPappy that is a good point. It is also a selling point for the SR9c. It comes with a 10 rnd and a 17 rnd mag with a grip extension that makes it feel much like a full size pistol. The mags for the full size SR9 are interchangeable.

Rich_357

Think about what you are looking for; that'll narrow it down a bit.

Striker Fired vs Double Action, Single stack vs Double stack, ammo capacity, safety or no, barrel length, warranty/support, ect.

Before I picked up my shield I really wanted a SR9C 3339. They were being run for $299 last year with 3 10 round mags. Looks like a beautiful gun and I've heard that the trigger cannot be matched in the category.

I wanted an everyday carry that had less of a print so I went with the shield. The XDS was right up there but I chose the Shield.

Narrow them down and go do some shooting. :)

Last edited:

HistoryJunky

I wish that I could narrow it down more. I don't really have a preference in hammer vs striker fire in a carry gun. Whichever has the better trigger really.

The specifications I guess I would be looking for would be a 3 or 3.5 inch barrel, double stack, 9mm, with a short grip. I have small hands so I don't really need a lot of real estate. I can get a full firing grip on a G26 with the standard magazine.

Rich_357

Well that narrows it down a bit. :)

Striker fired guns are generally going to have a shorter trigger pull than double actions. With that said and I know a lot will argue with me, I prefer to have a safety on striker fired guns. Double action triggers tend to have a longer pull and be more deliberate.

If you want a safety, that narrows it down. If you are left handed and want a safety, that narrows it down more.