Sub gauge set for sale ???

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am not posting this to help him sell the set. I am curious how safe it is to just stick these in any gun that they seem to fit in...

What I have is a tube set (20, 28, and 410) for an over under shotgun. These are briley ultra lite tubes full length. They are for a 26 inch barrel and would be willing to meet to make sure they fit gun correctly. Briley says they are gin specific but I gave seen them interchange many times. they are in great condition I just don't see myself shooting them anymore with the skeet range by my house closing a few years ago and don't shoot birds with the sub gauges. They are I think 1500 née from bailey but I am ready to sell or trade for another shotgun. My over under is a weatherby grade 3 so if you want to trade for the gun and set I would be open to offers. Tube set is 800 or willing to trade. Will post pics if there is interest.

Brent

oneounceload

Briley makes some of the best (Kolar fans will argue that).

Used mostly for skeet competition, they allow one gun to be used for all 4 gauges. They DO add some weight to the front end. many will compensate for that by adding a detachable weight on the barrel for when shooting 12 gauges, then remove it when they add the tubes to keep the weight and balance point the same.

Those tubes need to go into the type of gun they were built for as the ejector/extractor systems from many companies are not the same

BigJimP

I agree - they need to stay with the gun they were fit for .../ I would recommend he sell them with the gun. I wouldn't trust the fit in another gun .../ especially since they were made for a gun in 26" barrels....

----------------------
In my opinion - the biggest problem with the tube sets that are designed to fit in a 12ga gun ... say the 12ga gun weighs in at around 8 lbs ...then you put the tube set in for the 20ga and it weighs almost 8.75 lbs and it changes the swing characterists a lot in the gun ....

Now the good side is the 20ga / 28ga and .410 all weigh the same ....

The only way to make the weight not a factor ..is to have a stand alone 12ga barrel --- and then a carrier barrel that the tube sets fit into. Then the 12ga and the sub-gagues all weigh the same..
--------------------------------
The other downside is they are fit for an O/U with a 26" barrel ....which is relatively non-desireable these days for skeet, etc ...with the 28" being about 25% of the market - and 30" barrels probably making up close to 75% of the market in new guns ....( for Skeet and Sporting Clays ).

In my area - he's going to have a problem finding a buyer - at that price - for any O/U with 26" barrels / but with the tube set in it ....he might attract a buyer ....but its going to be closer to $1,000 - $ 1,250 for the gun and the tube set combined in my opinion/and probably not what he wants to hear since he apparently wants $ 800 just for the tube set.

Last edited:

zippy13

Brent, the early Briley tubes weren't just gun specific they were barrel specific. I have three Birley tubed guns and their sung fit requires a soft-headed mallet for installation and removal. If you've ever been to a Skeet match, you've seen the competitors tap-tap-tapping as they change tubes. I wouldn't want to try to get a fitted tube in the wrong barrel, let alone another gun. As far as the safety issue: are you concerned about damaging the gun, the tubes or yourself?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I was curious (no concern as I am not interested in the set) as to overall safety of everything and everyone around them. If it was a glaring safety risk, I would copy/paste link and text in his ad if he didn't edit it following a PM...

Brent

BigJimP

No, I don't see it as a safety risk ....using them in another "modern shotgun"...

If he sells them to someone with a different gun .....they'll beat them in ...and maybe damage the tubes / maybe crack the tube or damage the extractor - and have a heck of a time getting them out ....

If they get put into a gun where the tube goes in easily .... the shell is still contained within a standard 12ga barrel ...so hard to imagine anything going wrong ....in terms of safety ...

like zippy said / they are barrel specific too ...( I forgot / I don't use tube sets / I use different guns ) ....

Not to be ridiculous ....but the tubes have to be fit into an Over Under - or a single barrel break action gun - like a BT-99 ( if you wanted tubes in one for some peculiar reason ) ??? .... but someone certainly should not buy them and stick them in a pump gun or a semi-auto ..:eek:

BigJimP

Its not just 12ga Over Unders that get fit for tube sets ....some guys do have Briley fit tubes to a 20ga Over Under as well ( in 28ga and .410 ) ...and there are pluses and minuses to doing that - in a 20ga the 28ga tube sets are very thin ...and may be prone to cracking ...in the area of the extractors...especially with higher pressure reloads ...

oneounceload

The only way to make the weight not a factor ..is to have a stand alone 12ga barrel --- and then a carrier barrel that the tube sets fit into. Then the 12ga and the sub-gagues all weigh the same..

Jim while the carrier barrel IS the ideal way, it isn't the only. One fellow shooter uses a Kolar - already at 9+ pounds in 12. When he added his tube set from them later on, he bought a weight equal to the weight of the sub tubes. This gets clamped onto his 12 gauge barrel so his total weight is about 10.5# - the same for either 12 alone or with a sub tube installed. He's about your size as well, AND he has an adjustable recoil system on it.

He is also a M class sporting shooter and a very good shot at everything else