stupid question

meat

Hey all. I recently became the proud owner of a Glock 17. After reading about the kaboom thing , I just want to make sure that I don't put any lead bullets through the firearm. Ok, here comes the stupid question. I have been putting mostly PMC, Remington, And Winchester white box ammo (all full metal jackets) through my gun. These are not lead bullets are they? I'm not hurting my gun am I? And what exactly are lead bullets? Ok, you can all stop laughing now. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

larryw

When people talk about lead bullets, they mean plain lead, unjacketed bullets. Since you're running FMJ or other jacketed ammo (copper jacket around lead core), this is not an issue for ya'.

And hey, there are no stupid questions, especially when it comes to gun safety! :)

denfoote

No such thing as a stupid question. The jacketing prevents leading in the barrel. Glock makes it's barrells different than others. The bullets you don't want to fire are non jacketed lead bullets.

Lennyjoe

No one is laughing at you meat. No question is too stupid here. Most of the full metal jacket ammo is a brass or copper jacket that is either fully brass/copper or a lead bullet covered with the brass/copper jacket. As long as you shoot ammo that is full metal jacket or semi jacketed they you'll be fine. Semi jacketed bullets are mostly used on revolvers but here are some out there for auto's too. Most of your hollow points for autos are brass or copper jacketed at the point where it rides up the barrel rifling. Due to the type of rifling in the barrel of Glocks its not recommended to shoot lead. Some people do but Glock frowns on the use of lead. I'd leave the lead bullets to the revolver shooters if I were you.

As for the Kaboom thing. Its not very common in the 9MM or .45 Glocks but that doesnt mean it wont happen. Most of the kbooms you read about is about hot reloads that will cause catastrophic case failure and damage to the handgun. Seems the .40 cal in Glock has had more than its share of the problems but its not to be worried about if you shoot factory ammo. I might get flamed for that one. The G17 is a good weapon so shoot away and enjoy.

Arcadian62

Just wanted to add:

There is some ammo (eg- American Ammo Co. usually in clear clamshell packaging- others?) that "looks" like it's FMJ, jacketed ect. but in reality is ONLY copper COATED (should say on the packaging). I'd think it would be similar to running just a lead bullet ! As long as you stay with the makers you already mentioned (I'd also include Federal, CCI, Fiocchi, S & B ect.) you should be fine.
Others may disagree with me, but I'd also stay away from that Russian stuff (Wolf, Silver Bear, ect.). I don't care for those steel cases (unnecessary wear and tear) since you can get brass cased ammo at comparable prices. By the way, good choice on the G-17.:) & hope you have some standard capacity magazines that it was designed for!!

foghornl

No stupid questions concerning guns and safety, ever. I've been a "gunny" for 35+ years, and I still learn something new at least twice a day.

As for me, I can't recall that last time I fired a plain lead (unjacketed) bullet. I don't even shoot plain lead in my .22 rimfires.

IMHO the only stupid question is the one that remains unasked for fear of APPEARING stupid. I visit several gun websites, and found only intelligent informative helpful and courteous people.

OK OK, every once in a while you run into the jacka$$, but that is life as we know it.

Sgaar

OK, since there are no stupid questions let me go a bid further :)

Please explain the reason why one should not use lead (non FMJ) ammo in a Glock. I understand that it has to do with rifling.

Also, what is the different types of rifling and what is the advantage/dis-advantage of the different types.

Thanks,

larryw

Glocks and HKs use a polygonal barrel instead of traditional rifling. As the bullet runs the barrel, it slightly deforms to the valleys and lands to impart the spin. Polygonal barrels are said to improve the gas seal and increase velocity. If you use lead ammo, deposits can build up in the valleys and create an unsafe pressure condition (kB). I know of many who run lead through their Glock and HK contrary to manufacturer's instructions. I think this is unwise and puts yourself and those around you at risk.

Rifling, by contrast are fine lines cut in the barrel in a spiral pattern. The edges of these spiral lines grab the bullet and impart the spin.

Another *un* stupid question. :)

kindlyoldcoach

Things that go without saying go even better if they are said.

There are no stupid questions.

If you are ever forced or compelled to shoot vast quantities of lead-bulleted ammo through your Glock, do not despair. Installing an aftermarket barrel with traditionally-shaped, non-polygonal rifling will permit you to shoot lead untill you go barking mad from exposure to it. I believe most of the aftermarket Glock barrels shoot lead just fine.

Good luck with your green rubber pistol.

'coach

Sgaar

Thanks for the replys. I was just wondering about the different barrels and rifling. I don't own a Glock (doesn't seem to fit my hand) but a P99 which has 'normal' rifling.

Thanks,

foghornl

That's one of 2 new things learned today. I didn't know that the Glocks & HK's had "polygon" barrels, instead of "traditiona;l cut" rifling.

If the manufacturer says don't use plain lead, works for me. I figure they know their products better than I do. I might question why a certain thing is the way it is, but I would follow factory instructions untill I learned otherwise why.

Meat, not to insult your intelligence, but a lead bullet is just that. A bullet made entirely of lead. A molten lead alloy is poured into a mould or lead wire is extruded into the shape of a bullet. If you saw a lead bullet, it would be obvious to you that it was a lead bullet. I don't believe that there are very many factory loaded cast lead bullets around. Especially not for auto pistols. You might encounter them if someone is selling reloads. I used to see a lot of them at indoor ranges that sold reloads, but even that is falling by the wayside since many indoor ranges are now concerned with airborne lead contamination. So why would anyone shoot cast lead bullets ? For reloaders, cast bullets are much cheaper to shoot than jacketed bullets. I usually pay about $17 for 500 cast bullets. You can also get ambitious if you are a reloader and actually cast your own bullets from wheelweights, linotype, plumbing lead mixed with tin and antimony. Casting your own bullets is time consuming, but it brings the cost of shooting down to almost nothing. I just thought I would expand on what lead bullets are. For the average shooter, there is little point in shooting lead bullets. For those reloaders that shot a lot, the cost savings is considerable.

Rickmeister

Meat:

The vast majority of pistol rounds are made of lead; the main reason being: lead is dense, deformable, and dirt cheap---qualities all of which are highly desired in a bullet.

High density allows for a straighter trajectory and harder impact.

Deformability reduces richochet and allows hollowpoints to easily expand and transfer more of their energy to the body they hit (Ouch!).

Affordability needs no explanation.

Copper jackets are mainly employed to protect the barrel bore from lead fouling.

Last edited:

Shake

There are other guns on the market besides the Glock and H&K that have polygonal "rifiling". Pays to read your owners manual.

Shake